Thread: Complete Newbie question

Potential Tuner

Complete Newbie question

Hi guys, I hope I have this in the right spot. I am thinking about getting HPTuners to tune my 1999 camaro z28 auto. I am absolutely new to computer tuning and I was wondering if it could be as easy as downloading a tune from the repository to fit my mods and have my car run decent without having to go through the whole learinging curve of tuning. I only have LT headers and off road Y and lid and I just want to get it running leaner and perhaps gain some power and delete the AIR/EGR codes, and maybe shorten the shift times.

Is this easy to do or will I have to make my own tune? In the future I plan to learn how to tune and do heads/cam but for now I just want the car to run good with Off road headers.

Also while I am on my newbie question should I get the $500 version or the $650 version? I will eventually spend the $200 on a wideband setup but do I need the more expensive version of HPtuner since most widebands have recording anyway?

Thanks for any advice.

John

If you're not going to do any of your own tuning, save yourself some money and find a competent tuner to do the job for you.

OTOH, if you're willing to put the time in (as many of us have done) to learn how to tune, your efforts will be well-rewarded, and buying a tuning set-up will be worth the cost.

Whatever you do, don't simply download a tune from the repository and expect your Camaro to run. That's the road to certain disaster.

--Brian

Potential Tuner
    I plan on doing my own tuning when I do heads and cam. I just want something to use as a starter for just my basic bolt ons.