Thread: stupidly simple question

Advanced Tuner

stupidly simple question

i have been attempting to learn to tune my fathers 2005 lly diesel truck. so far it seems to be going well, though there is far less information available about tuning diesels over gas cars and trucks.

anyway, got boost dialed in nicely, fuel seems to be close but i am a bit confused on injection timing. he is blowing smoke, a bit more than i would ideally like, afterall black smoke is unburnt fuel coming out of the tailpipe. i figure injection timing is the way to bring this back into the happy zone (though his truck blows black smoke in stock trim/tune). so i want injection timing to come in earlier, so that it ignites in the cyl. i have read that injection timing takes place after TDC, so i would want to put a smaller number (numerically) in the map, however, being a gasoline tuner, this seems bazaar to me. i would normally increase the number (numerically) to get timing to happen sooner.

am i right, in what i have read, to say that injection takes place after TDC?

Advanced Tuner
    no one can confirm that diesel injector timing takes place after TDC, so that if i want to have injector timing occur earlier i enter in a lower number of degrees?

Advanced Tuner
    i guess it was just so simple that no one cared to answer. no worries. i figured it out. injection starts BTDC so that complete burn takes place at approx 18* ATDC.

therefore, injecting fuel earlier should help make a bit more power and reduce the smoke show a bit

Glad you got it figured out.
    2006 LBZ Duramax 4x4 CC SB 2500HD SRW 4x4 LT1 (with extras), Blocked & Fingered, Fumoto drain valve, Keystone Ram Air Good Hood, Banks Ram Air, Access cover & Rhino over the rails, Victory Red.
    33'-0" Dutchman fifthwheel,Tekonsha Voyager Brake Controller

Banks Sixgun with HPTUNERS.