Thread: LS6 transplant to F-Body

LS6 transplant to F-Body

A friend of mine transplanted an LS6 to a SS Camaro (automatic). He did not move the LS6 computer over. The car starts and runs (barely) but fall on it's face performance-wise. Logically, the computer still thinks it the LS1 so I assume that everything is off from fuel calculations to cylinder efficiency. Is there a way to tune this? Can I write over the LS1 tune with an LS6 tune or would I have to go in and change all of the parameters manually?

Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide!

yeah you can manually copy an LS6 tune if you want to do it a quick and dirty way, but why not just tune the car for it?
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Thanks for your reply. To answer your question first - I'm more of a hacker than a tuner. I messed around with the tune on my previous C5 Z06 and got great results after many mods (cam, headers, NOS) mainly from reading this board and guys like you. I never used a dyno nor a wide band becasue I didn't have one.

The LS6 is stock so I just wanted to start with putting the stock tune on it. I do know some and could twaek it from there but he would be happy if I could just get it running normally. I didn't want to have to manually change all of the setting s if there was a way to "overwrite" the entire LS1 tune with an LS6 tune - thus my question.

You will have to copy changes over to the cars tune. What year is the SS?

Is it going to use the stock MAF or the one from an LS6 as well?
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

He is using the LS1 MAF and it's an 01 SS.

you will not want to use the MAF calibration from the LS6 file then

Potential Tuner
    get a z06 maf and use the stock ls6 tune file to get it running decent is my guess. I asked a question just like this awhile back to a guy that used to tune here when I was thinking about converting to LS6 (heads/cam, intake) and thats the answer I got.

Thanks for your help WS6FirebirdTa00. I really appreciate it.