Thread: Random cylinder misfire, I think it's tune related

Random cylinder misfire, I think it's tune related

02 ls1 w/ torquer v3 cam (231/234 .644/.598 111lsa), full boltons.

I recently start getting a random cylinder misfire code. Honestly Ive never noticed anything. My tune runs very smooth and no problems otherwise. I tuned the ve, idle, maf, p/e, spark, etc. I am back to running closed loop (very low ltfts and stfts across the board).

I recently installed nitrous although i have only used a 75 shot once so far.

I have all new tr-6s, i recently broke 3 valvesprings (inner one of prc duals)(car ran fine, i just happened to check them and noticed 3 inner ones broken), so I replaced all of them and put all new seals in. The plugs in those 3 cylinders were all fine but i replaced em anyways.

Ive been getting the code about once every other day, Car shows no signs of misfire, but today on a decel, it made an unusual pop that sounded like a possible misfire.

How do i narrow it down? IS it possible that the misfire detection is just too sensitive for my cam? because i dont feel or notice misfires.

I haven't seen anything unusual in logs either.

I got some error about switchpoints once a few days ago, I figured it might be o2 sensors but they both seem to fluctuate normally and in unison.

My SOM T/A's FQuick!
    2002 T/A: Torquer V3, Full Boltons, Suspension, M6, Lots of misc things.
    My Z/28's Cardomain (13.9 @ 101.1)
    1997 Z/28: A4, Some boltons, Lots of misc things.

A misfire is a time lag on the crankshaft that the PCM has picked up. So either you are just on the edge of too sensitive or something else is going on if you haven't had misfires before. Might want to do a leakdown test to confirm the engine's health first since you had valve spring issues.
    Always Support Our Troops!

Advanced Tuner
    are you getting misfires on just idle or while on the throttle? cuz i get a p300 on my car on idle and sometimes a bit on decel, but im sure its cuz of the flywheel/clutch combo as well as a few other stiff mounts i have. they must be triggering the computer,

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by g5 gxp View Post
    are you getting misfires on just idle or while on the throttle? cuz i get a p300 on my car on idle and sometimes a bit on decel, but im sure its cuz of the flywheel/clutch combo as well as a few other stiff mounts i have. they must be triggering the computer,
    I just recently started playing with ls motors on a run stand that I made. So far I have run two engines on the run stand and both of them are throwing the p300 code for random misfire. I added the cylinder misfire and history so I can see #4 and 7 are miss firing way more than the others. Im wondering if the engine being solid mounted to a big metal cart is causing the random miss fire code on both engines that seem to run fine. My engines are all stock. One 5.3 I took out of a suburban that was very clean with 109,000 on the odometer. Super clean on the inside. The other engine is a 6.0 with unkown mileage and average looking on the inside. I have a bellhousing from a 4l60e solid mounted to the run stand and the motor mounts are just flat plates bolted to the side of the engine that run down to the metal cart. Your comment makes me wonder if solid mounted is my problem. Is that a possibility?