Thread: validate cable license failed

Tuner in Training

validate cable license failed

So I was getting excited about running HPT and logging my wideband that I just installed through the EGR. I was running a scan last night without setting the correct PIDs for the wideband to log. I didn't have the EGR position V logging which I didn't know you needed to.
    So after I add that to log I hook my laptop up to my car, turn the key to the On position, connect, start scanning, then I turn I start the car. This is how I've scanned every other time and it's never messed up. After a few seconds it acts like I pulled a cable and then I try to reconnect manually and "validate cable license failed" comes up. It then will not connect at all till I pull all power from the MPVI unit.
    I then tried to start scanning with the car already running and it will for about 2 seconds then freezes and everything all over again. Help!

Senior Tuner
    I get that validate cable license failed all the time now using the scanner since upgrading to the 2.22 release.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2xLS1
    I get that validate cable license failed all the time now using the scanner since upgrading to the 2.22 release.
    Can you walk me through a step by step so I can attempt to recreate it?
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Mine does that sometimes, but I just click cancel and click start logging and it works...havent had it happen twice in a row like that...

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    I just went & did some testing with the latest version on my GTP & didn't have any issues, what year/make/model vehicles are you guys most commonly having problems with, also what are the specs on your laptops? The newer pcm's spit out very high frame rates & when mixing that with slower pc's can easily result in disconnection.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

I've only gotten that error when im sitting there ideling and attempting to connect for the first time that session. But in any event my laptop is a dell M90 with intel duo t7600 @2.33ghz, and 4gb ram with vista ultimate, so I doubt its a hardware problem in my case.

Tuner in Training
    Mine cleared up for some reason, after plugging and unplugging things a million times for whatever reason it was happening it stopped. It happened in my 02 3.8l camaro and my 98 3.8l camaro.
    Since it happened in 2 different vehicles like that I have a feeling it was due a cable not being completely connected. Specifically the obd2 cable to the mpvi plug. Even though it screws in and is held into place very well it cleared up after I pulled that one off and put it back on. Or that was just coincidence.
    I'm using a dell latitude, a really slow one. 800mhz-1g processing speeds.

Tuner in Training
    Update: Problem came back again. Uploaded a tune absolutely fine no problems. I can scan with the car just in run absolutely fine but it's when I start the car that it loses connection. I checked and wiggled cables to see if any were loose or had connectivity issues but nothing was affected. First time it happened it scanned for about 10 seconds while the engine was running then quit. Kept the car running, tried to scan and it disconnected almost immediately. I finally got it to run for 5 minutes though and that was about it before it disconnected again. This is really frustrating.

Had the same issue but all I did was unplug the USB cable and plug it back in. Everything is fine now.
    2006 Pontiac GTO
    2003 Infiniti M45--- Payed off
    2009 BMW 135i- Awaiting Transport

Mods: TigerShark Cam Package, Volant intake, GFI Ported TB, GMM Race, MSD Plug Wires, Stainless Work headers w/cats, Magnaflow X-pipe, Kooks "Afterburner" Axlebacks, Pedders Strut Bar, Pedders Street I, Drift R 19", HpTuners
    RWHP: 419.72 RWTQ: 402.51

hitting "connect/scan" on the scanner as soon as you turn on the ignition or directly after cranking the engine can cause this as alot of systems have to go thru their routine checks during startup, i get the same thing in my ute if i press the button fraction after hitting the ign, but give it 5 seconds after turning that key to start ya scan, should hopefully overcome this for u
    cheers Bryan

adding to this, you get a similar problem with the editor if you forget to "disconnect" through your scanner. but if it does proceed with the error msg do as papito suggested... disconnect from vehicle and laptop then reconnect and retry.
    Last edited by driftnpow; 07-13-2008 at 09:01 AM.

I have to un-plug and plug back in the usb cable for both scanning and loading tune files or I get "validate cable license failed" for scanning and I get "failed" while loading a tune and that I dont like because it tells me the file did not upload and the vehicle is not drivable....what is the problem and how do we correct it?
    2002 WS-6, Built A-4, 3000 stall, Lid and K&N, ported TB, 220/224, .551, 114 LSA, roller rockers, LT's, 2.5" true duals with X-pipe, Koni adjustable front and Bilstein rears with Hotchkis springs, front bar and bushings, welded SFC's, boxed LCA's., Midnight Blue trimmed in silver, silver face gauges, custom hood bird, HPT (with lot's of tuning)

Potential Tuner
    Having the same issue when clicking the connect button. Running Vista home premium, running 2.23 beta that was sent in the package.

I just got my HPT and I have issues getting anything to my laptop. However I can read my licensing from the MPVI box, and that reads properly without issue. I see people are hitting cancel and it is still working. I will try this next.

Tuner in Training
    When I was having that problem I was powering my laptop from the car since my laptop battery couldn't hold a charge. After buying a new laptop battery and just powering from that, I haven't had any connectivity issues.