Thread: Replaceing A4 with non-stock tranny....tuning ???

Tuner in Training

Replaceing A4 with non-stock tranny....tuning ???

My car is a 2000 SS A4. I am getting ready to replace the 4l60 with a 4l80(manual vb--no electonics) My question is:

What programming is required for the PCM? Do I just turn off all the codes? How does the car know when it is in gear vs when in park? Arent there different timing tables for the two? How are you wiring up neutral safety switch/reverse lights?

What are the guys running T400/T350/700R/200R trannies doing to the PCMs to make it run correctly?

Senior Tuner

Re: Replaceing A4 with non-stock tranny....tuning

I will be flashing my 1998 A4 ECM with a 2001 M6 program, hopefully it will work. Then I will be able to tune my 'race car' with my HPTuner (that I purchased for my 2001 SS) without having to purchase a 1998 upgrade (don't have time for it, car needs to be running this week!). The A4 ECM use different timing table for P/N and R/D123, so a program from a manual will work out better. Those do not have different timing table based on gears (so I've read).

As for the neutral safety switch ... I will be using a B&M Quicksilver shifter, plus I won't have a need for that switch since mine will be a dedicated race car.

Tuner in Training

Re: Replaceing A4 with non-stock tranny....tuning

You need a 2000-2002 F-body program with M6 transmission. I have the base 2k2 M6 f-body file, if you need it. ANY time you scrap the Etranny, you baseline with the manual program.

jim