Thread: Power Inverter

Power Inverter

In discussion over why my interface died previously it was mentioned that use of a power inverter could damage the interface. We just got these in at work, and am now second guessing if it is safe to use it in conjunction with HPTuners:

http://www.tripplite.com/EN/products...xtModelID=2553

It has an on/off switch, so when I am not scanning I can disconnect the interface and turn the inverter on, but would prefer to keep the laptop charged continuously for the times when I can make several runs back-to-back with changes on the fly. Please advise.
    2000 NavyBlueMetallic GTP Coupe 14.007 @98.5 - New time coming soon!
    HPTuners / Intercooler / 1.8 SLP Rockers / 3.1" / 180° / TB Shield / FWI / PLOG / Jimmy-C Downpipe / U-Bend Delete / Taurus Fan / Alt. rewire / FP rewire / F-Body Brakes / Buick Strut Braces / SLP Tips / 20% Tint

That seems odd to me that an inverter could damage the interface. It gets its power from the USB port and/or the ALDL. The inverter would just be supplying AC power to the laptop which would convert it to DC with it's internal power supply and power the USB port with that.
    Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game

Quote Originally Posted by 5_Liter_Eater
    That seems odd to me that an inverter could damage the interface. It gets its power from the USB port and/or the ALDL. The inverter would just be supplying AC power to the laptop which would convert it to DC with it's internal power supply and power the USB port with that.
    That is what I said, but one of the owners who created the interface personally suggested this as an issue to me...which is why I am concerned and asking the question.
    HPTuners / Intercooler / 1.8 SLP Rockers / 3.1" / 180° / TB Shield / FWI / PLOG / Jimmy-C Downpipe / U-Bend Delete / Taurus Fan / Alt. rewire / FP rewire / F-Body Brakes / Buick Strut Braces / SLP Tips / 20% Tint

I've been using a Jenson160 watt power inverter for 5 years. Never had an issure with the interface.

As Bill said, the inverter is just converting 12V DC to 120V AC to keep the laptop batteries charged.

Russ Kemp

Quote Originally Posted by Russ K
    I've been using a Jenson160 watt power inverter for 5 years. Never had an issure with the interface.

As Bill said, the inverter is just converting 12V DC to 120V AC to keep the laptop batteries charged.

Russ Kemp
    Great. I do know what an inverter does, and never could get an explanation of how an inverter could over-current the interface, but that does not change the fact that the guys at HPTuners believe that an inverter could damage the interface. As such, I am hoping to hear from one of the HPTuner guys to verify that this will not cause yet another issue to put me down-and-out for three weeks.

Come on, no answers from Bill?

Tuner in Training
    If your laptop power cord is plugged into an inverter, the likely hood of causing a usb power problem is extremely remote.

One, the lap top power cord converts the AC you make with your inverter to DC power into the laptop. this DC is 16 to 19 volts depending on the mfgr. Inside the laptop, there is another DC to DC power supply that produces the voltage for the USB ports.

If your 12 DC to 120 VAC inverter made the component attached to your usb port fail, your lap top internal power supply should also be toast.

Having said that, under extreme circumstances, your inverter may have been producing harmonics that some how managed to pass thru all of the filtering circuitry in the power supplies. This would place an undesired AC component on the DC power. If it was making these harmonics, both the inverter and the lap top cord power supply should have been too hot to touch.

The AC output from one of these converters as a square wave, not a true sine wave, so there is a very, very remote chance if your AC-DC power adapter is garbage then it wont filter the signal well enough. But I highly doubt that.

Guys, I appreciate your input, but I do understand how all of this works. I also know there was a royal shit-storm when I wanted to understand why my interface died the last time. I was not even running an inverter, but it came up as a potential hazard. If HPTuners is ready to sign off interface damage as the fault of an inverter, I want to have their blessing before I utilize this one. Bill has been on several times since this thread came up, but has neglected to chime in, which in itself concerns me.

Senior Tuner
    This one http://www.batteryspace.com/index.as...ROD&ProdID=214 blew up my MPVI interface even though I've been using it for years on the same laptop with my serial interface with absolutely no issues. It steps up the 12V to 19V that my laptop needs. I was also told it looked like a power inverter did the damage. I never could get an answer from the HPT hardware guy either as to why it would damage the MPVI box.

Quote Originally Posted by 2xLS1
    This one http://www.batteryspace.com/index.as...ROD&ProdID=214 blew up my MPVI interface even though I've been using it for years on the same laptop with my serial interface with absolutely no issues. It steps up the 12V to 19V that my laptop needs. I was also told it looked like a power inverter did the damage. I never could get an answer from the HPT hardware guy either as to why it would damage the MPVI box.
    Exactly! This is why I am going to keep this thread around until I get an answer.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    You fried the power protection ic which is basically a surge protector so you don't fry the entire board which would cost you far more than a simple repair cost. When the power protection circuit blows its for a reason ie overcurrent situation, whether its caused by a power inverter or something else is very hard to tell but they don't blow for no reason.

Thanks,
    Bill
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"