Thread: Thought I would introduce myself and see if I can get some pointers

Tuner in Training

Thought I would introduce myself and see if I can get some pointers

Some of you may know me from other boards but I thought I would introduce myself since I am planning on using HPT on my personal car. I own a 98 Cavalier Z24 that is powered by a 5-speed, L67 that has been converted over to turbo.

www.cardomain.com/id/raven_sc3800
    As you can see I have a fairly large setup and have always used DHP's Power Tuner to tune it but since I have tuned a few local cars over the last few months I am thinking I might give HPTuners a try as well (Histograms are a big bonus from having to export your tables, make changes and then import back).

I have gone through some of the forum looking around and I do have a few questions. Normally I would start with disabling the MAF sensor and concentrating on getting idle and cruise under control by editing the main VE table. Once long and short term trims are close to zero I would plug the MAF back in and then tune the MAF from there. I have seen that there is a way to turn the MAF off in HPTuners so I figure I could do it that way as well. I read through the post about MAF tuning and I'm just wondering if you guys follow the same train of thought about getting the main VE table in line before moving on to MAF?

Also to throw a little curve ball into the mix I want to take things much higher this year...28-30psi and 600+whp. The problem is that last year I was maxing out my 85mm GM MAF sensor at about 15-16psi of boost. (451whp/421wtq btw). I now have a MAF translator that I was planning to use to scale the MAF. Over the last two months I have tuned three turbo'd cavaliers (4cyl ecotec)with HPTuners and I find with them it is very easy to scale the tables to fake 2 or 3 bar tunes referencing the MAP sensor (unless it is an 03+ that has had the GM factory reflash done...oh man those files don't like to cooperate :P). Anyway with one cavalier I was able to pull 370whp and 310wtq at 20psi on a GT35R with 0 KR all the way to 7000rpm (even though the tables end at 6400) and running 25 degrees of timing up top(Meth kit with pump fuel). I was wondering about doing the same scaling on mine to use a 3 bar. I am thinking that I might be able to get away with not having to scale the MAF and adding the extra fuel I need through a fake 3 bar tune......would be so much better if HPTuners would make the 3 bar OS available to us..Hint Hint, Bill!

I think thats really about it as for questions on where to go with it. I am hoping that once I read and write the file with HPTuners that I can still connect and use my Power Tuner as well. What I can't do in HPTuners I should be able to do with the PT so both together should make the tuning process a little quicker and easier. Looking forward to any suggestions you guys might have.

Tuner in Training
    Well that didn't go very well...tried to licence the car last night but I got an error saying it was a VIN/OS mismatch and that I would have to email my file to Bill. The only concern I have with that is that I might not be able to use the Power Tuner once Bill changes my file to work with HPT. I am still unsure if I want to go that route as I am comfortable with the PT and it does have a lot more control over things than HPT. I guess I will email bill and see what he has to say.

I got my HP tuner MPVI pro last friday so I can't be much help but some of the things you're asking about I've found in these next 2 link......

http://www.hollandms.com/newbie/tuning_new.htm

http://www2.turbov6camaro.com:443/tune.htm

3800 tuning welcome to the club.

From what I read, the main VE has to be dialed in before calibrating / scaling the MAF.

good luck with the project..... 3800FTW