Thread: Car cutting out

Potential Tuner

Car cutting out

My car has been having a wierd cutout feeling, any kind of help would be great.

Look between frames 6218 and 6325
    Last edited by whitie2000; 08-18-2008 at 10:51 AM.
    2000 Grand Prix GTP
    Ebay turbo, Stattama turbo exhaust, Stattama Passenger side intake, Tial 38mm wg, A2A IC, Racetronix pump, Fuel pump rewire, 60# INJ, E85, LQ4 maf, Intense S1x turbo cam, Forged pistons, balance shaft delete, 180 tstat, 105 comp springs, ac delete, Manual boost controller, Mech boost gauge, PLX Wideband, Currently running 10 psi,
    Trans, upgraded clutches, hardened input shaft, Gen 1 LSD, Stock Stall,

Advanced Tuner
    You got 9 degrees of knock at the start and your timing drops down to 2 degrees. That's probably what your feeling.
    2005 Grand Prix GTP
    My CarDomain Page

Potential Tuner
    I see that but it only happens on certian days not every wide open run. Like on the wide open run before that there was no stutter. This just recently started, I will hit the gas and the car starts stuttering hard.
    Last edited by whitie2000; 08-18-2008 at 04:04 PM.
    2000 Grand Prix GTP
    Ebay turbo, Stattama turbo exhaust, Stattama Passenger side intake, Tial 38mm wg, A2A IC, Racetronix pump, Fuel pump rewire, 60# INJ, E85, LQ4 maf, Intense S1x turbo cam, Forged pistons, balance shaft delete, 180 tstat, 105 comp springs, ac delete, Manual boost controller, Mech boost gauge, PLX Wideband, Currently running 10 psi,

Quote Originally Posted by Perforator
    You got 9 degrees of knock at the start and your timing drops down to 2 degrees. That's probably what your feeling.
    Yes that is the OBVIOUS part of it.....
    But how about the fueling? seems like it's going lean? but why?
    The car did throw a misfire code. So we are going to replace all new plugs and wires and re-gap plugs.

There are multiple WOT runs in that hpl. and NONE with the same "PROBLEM" except for the one "whitie" says to look at. Like he says it will not "studder" every time just intermittently....? So this time we were able to duplicate the issue ONCE and who knows how long or when it will happen agian. It just comes and goes random....

Going to start a MAf tune to see if we can get the trims to lock in and go from there.

Does this osund like a good starting point?
    Last edited by CSC04; 08-18-2008 at 04:11 PM.
    Engine
    2004 GTP, 1.9 Rockers, 3" Catless DP, 3.5 MPS, 180* t-stat, AL104's, FWI, HPT (pro) . LS1M scanner.

Advanced Tuner
    Sorry, I only looked where he told me too, I didn't study the whole scan. The studdering feeling is probably the timing. 2 degrees is bad. You need to find why your getting 9 degrees of knock. Could it be the downpipe hitting or something like that?
    2005 Grand Prix GTP
    My CarDomain Page

Sorry, I only looked where he told me too, I didn't study the whole scan. The studdering feeling is probably the timing. 2 degrees is bad. You need to find why your getting 9 degrees of knock. Could it be the downpipe hitting or something like that?
    Good call, we'll check some stuff out...
    I guess a better question is..... Will a misfire cause the "symptoms" / problem that he described and that the scan showed?
    Engine
    2004 GTP, 1.9 Rockers, 3" Catless DP, 3.5 MPS, 180* t-stat, AL104's, FWI, HPT (pro) . LS1M scanner.

Advanced Tuner
    I've never heard of a misfire causing knock before. It will mess with your O2 readings. Don't remember if it reads lean or rich though.
    2005 Grand Prix GTP
    My CarDomain Page

I've never heard of a misfire causing knock before. It will mess with your O2 readings. Don't remember if it reads lean or rich though.
    TY.
    We're going to do some of the things we listed previously and see if it helps...
    In the meantime thx for the replies.
    Engine

ok first off stop flooring it until you add fuel. 890's is lean enough to blow a nice little hole in your piston. Tell me you aren't relying on your stock nb to tune your car?! The spikes you see where the timing is going down to nothing is the torque management keeping you from destroying the trans that's completely normal. I would go to the next sized pulley UP not down and start tuning the car correctly. Get it at the correct fueling with a wide band (if its not in your budget then don't even bother tuning) get the timing up to 20* knock free which should be easy with the i/c. Then start dropping sizes, but if you can't get 11.7afr and 20* of timing completely kr free then go back to the pulley you could do that with. The pulley's don't make the hp the timing does, and i'm not sure what pulley you were running with that scan but its to small for starters and you'll end up blowing a piston trying to tune with it. Use one of your bigger ones to tune with so you don't hurt the motor. Add fuel with the pe mode afr vs tps and to get richer you lower the number start with .5 from 70-100 and go form there AFTER you get a wide band, until then stop getting on it.

If its misfiring aka not firing at the right time (while the piston is going up for instance) then that would be considered knock. I had a plug wire ground out on me and fire the wrong cylinder and yea it was knocking for real and the sensors were spiking to 15 for a split second, and that what just cruising all the sudden knock knock knock uhhh ohhh...

Tuner
    it sounds to me like a missfire, you know...

bad plug wire = most likely
    Bad plug = possible if they are autolite's. When they die you can get a code for three way cat low efficiancy because of the unburned gas.
    bad coil ... swap the coil with another, does the missfire change cylinders?
    or .. how's the oil pressure? If oil pressure is fine, stay on topic above.
    During the missfire, is the SES light on the dash blinking?
    Trouble shoot it Mr...
    Best 60' = 1.716
    Best ET = 12.186
    Best MPH = 112.98

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by e85grandprix
    If its misfiring aka not firing at the right time
    I wouldn't consider that a misfire, that's firing out of sequence.
    2005 Grand Prix GTP
    My CarDomain Page

Potential Tuner
    I will be changing the spark plugs and wires tonight. The fuel filter and fuel pump were just changed. The problem is that this just started out of the blue the car had been running fine. I thought it was the dying fuel pump at first. I did get a misfire code but it did not say which cylinder.
    Last edited by whitie2000; 08-19-2008 at 09:33 AM.
    2000 Grand Prix GTP