Thread: Tranny going in some kind of safe mode?

Tranny going in some kind of safe mode?

Every once and a while, after a burnout that exceeds about 3K at the track. The car runs really strange at launch. It seems to go into some kind of safe mode - no power at all for a 1/10 or so of a second and then takes off like normal. Shifts great etc.

No DTC's show up though.

If i keep the burnout below 3K - no issue.

The 330ft, 1,000ft et's all seem to go follow & with the 60ft and have been stable for the 80 runs and the 1/8th & 1/4mph are also fine, so it doesen't seem as if the tranny itself is slipping.

Just wondering if the 3,200 Yank TC could be confusing the car?

The P1870 Trans Component Slipping is set to 800 Rpms for TCC set max slip rpm & 130 for the min.

Don't have a scan of the runs - nowhere to set the laptop without the stagging guys getting a bit pissed when they see it just hanging out on the floor. Another reason to upgrade to the pro version.

Doesen't seem to be fuel issue - because even if I sit there and give it a few short revs in neutral to clear it out - it still happens once i line up.

Any thoughts guys?

Thanks

Steve

Edited: forgot to put in - i do the burnout in 1st gear with traction control off.

Or could it be another sensor - ie ABS fault or misfire issue?
    Last edited by rushhour; 08-27-2008 at 01:20 PM.
    2004 GTO A4

Add in a 2008 G8 GT and a 2009 G8 GT

Senior Tuner
    Explain your burnout procedure in detail? Do you manually hold each gear or allow it to shift up on it's own? The issue sounds like it is with the transmission, not the tune.

12secSS

Just put it in 1st and let it spin up to the line, with traction control off. Then once it is done with the burnout - put it in either drive or 3rd, seems to happen in either gear selected. Sometimes I put it in neutral first and clear the engine - but that doesen't seem to help either.

I don't apply the brakes during the burnout - since the ABS really seems to clamp down on it. So I figure - why stress the drive train anymore then I have to.

Just really strange - since it only happens if I exceed about 3K during the burnout.

Thanks

Steve
    Last edited by rushhour; 08-28-2008 at 11:35 AM.
    2004 GTO A4

I am wonder - if this isn't a traction control spark retard issue. I always have the TC off when I race - but do it manually through the TC button.

Maybe it over rides the button if certain peramters are hit.

Maybe zero out the 2 TC tables for spark retard?

Steve
    2004 GTO A4

Make the changes as shown. Never had a reason to zero the shift time table. The max torque table is used on ETC equipped vehicles only. And the Maf Cylair Max table is to be close to the max cylair at wot reported by the scanner.

Why is your PE table so rich?

Russ Kemp

Russ thanks for the look over.

The PE is so rich - because the original tuner just went after it when the heads & cam were put on, no MAF work at all. PT was even the same - but I got that decently sorted out with the help of you guys.

Since I don't have a WB on it yet - I just left it alone & added 2% for safety on his curve after adding shorties & a full flowing exhaust. The narrows do show it at 870 to 890 @ WOT with that curve - but as I have learned from here - they are not reliable. The next step is to get the WB on get the MAF & PE curve right. Just got an NGK-AFX. The only good thing - no knock -unless I reduce the PE curve.

as an aside - from reading your post - I should scan and then check the dynamic cyl air and readjust the MAF Cylair Max table to reflect this.

Steve
    Last edited by rushhour; 08-29-2008 at 11:18 AM.
    2004 GTO A4

I already set the Maf Cylair Max table for you. It may be higher than your actual wot cylair, but shouldn't matter.

Russ Kemp

Quote Originally Posted by Russ K
    I already set the Maf Cylair Max table for you. It may be higher than your actual wot cylair, but shouldn't matter.

Russ Kemp
    Russ - thanks - I just didn't know if you wanted me to scan & touch it up. Looking at old scans - the dynamic cyl air figures I have are real close & just below the ones you setup.

Just so I understand - why the change to this table?

Steve
    2004 GTO A4

Russ K - I want to thank you!

Went to the track yesterday and that change made al of the difference in the world! The car didn't bog at all of the line.

Steve
    2004 GTO A4