Thread: Ford knock sensors PIDs

Ford knock sensors PIDs

Is there a formula to convert the voltage readings i get from the sensors to actual spark retard, so i can make a custom pids?

Unfortunately no, the computer runs the KS signals through a bunch of algorithms to filter out noise and determine if combustion is actually ocuring at that part of the cycle (if its not, then it can't be knock).

The knock sensor is not a pid at all, and that is one of the difficulties in datalogging it.
    Justin Starkey
    Ford and GM custom tuning
    Mobile Dynojet 224xLC
    www.VMPTuning.com
    2006 F250 CC 6.0L 14.3@92
    2006 Mustang 4.0L Vortech 15psi 395rwhp wife's car
    2000 Mustang 3.8L TT [email protected] 450rwhp

I do pick it up in the latest updated Scanner, the only thing is it reads only the voltages from them

there is no easy formula to translate voltage to retard, the PCM doesn't work that way, it mostly measures the frequency of knock (ie. how many times the knock voltage exceeds the noise floor and thresholds accounting for gain etc.) then creates a attack/decay profile.

The PIDs are meant to simple troubleshoot the knock sensors operation by logging the PIDs and for example tapping on the block.
    I count sheep in hex...

Senior Tuner
    Chris, I'm sure you may already know this, but on the PowerPC, you can log "Knock Retard" in "degrees", both globally (the DMR is named "SPK_ADD_KS") and individual cylinder ("SPK_ADD_KS(1)", (2), (3), etc.). Jerry W. added this ability in the databases for SCT's LiveLink like 3+ years ago, and it works flawlessly. If you need advice/help in adding these, give Jerry a shout via email.
    Last edited by RWTD; 11-04-2008 at 12:21 AM.
    Formerly known as RWTD

Toys: '22 Tesla Model S Plaid / '20 Chevy Duramax / ?20 Sea-Doo RXT-X (2)

Quote Originally Posted by RWTD View Post
    Chris, I'm sure you may already know this, but on the PowerPC, you can log "Knock Retard" in "degrees", both globally (the DMR is named "SPK_ADD_KS") and individual cylinder ("SPK_ADD_KS(1)", (2), (3), etc.). Jerry W. added this ability in the databases for SCT's LiveLink like 3+ years ago, and it works flawlessly. If you need advice/help in adding these, give Jerry a shout via email.
    This will be totally helpful in the scanner, hopefully it could be added as a PID.

Quote Originally Posted by mustangjonGT View Post
    This will be totally helpful in the scanner, hopefully it could be added as a PID.
    +1 VERY helpful as a PID

any info on this?
    Thanks

Has anyone firgured this out?

This would help a lot for scanning purposes. Any update?

Bump, nothing?

Maybe in 2.24?

Senior Tuner
    Well, HPT has to add in DMR support for them before this will ever happen.
    Formerly known as RWTD

Toys: '22 Tesla Model S Plaid / '20 Chevy Duramax / ?20 Sea-Doo RXT-X (2)

Quote Originally Posted by RWTD View Post
    Well, HPT has to add in DMR support for them before this will ever happen.
    Any chance of that happening?

Still nothing?

we haven't added any MPIDs for Ford applications. The issues is that we need to locate the memory location for every strategy ford has released and this takes a lot of time.
    I count sheep in hex...

thats understandable. i know when i call for 30 and it hits 25, i hit kr lol.

thats understandable. i know when i call for 30 and it hits 25, i hit kr lol.