Thread: Class 2 Fans Enable / Disable

Class 2 Fans Enable / Disable

I have a problem, I think, with the Class 2 enable / disable feature for my fans.

My bin, (Cartuning bin) has the class 2 fans set to "0" or disabled I guess, yet the OEM value in my bin is "1" or enable I assume. I tried changing it back once to "1" enable, as my thinking was, this is wrong, how did my fans go from being class 2 to non-class to with the install of a Cartuning turbo, so I changed it back and the fans stopped working! I THINK I recall them coming on low at all times when the A/C was turned on, but that was it.

Anyone explain this?

Here's a copy of my bin aka, Cartuning mess that I have to straighten out!

Thanx,
    Krunch
    2002 Monte Carlo SS "Project Intimidator"

[*DHP PowerTuner*] [L36] [180 TStat] [ZZP HVTB] [HV3] [Resonator & U-Bend Delete] [Carsound Hi Flow Cat] [Corsa Catback] [P&P OEM Manifolds] [Precision PT61] [ZZP Trans] [3000 Stall] [2.93 Gears] [F-Body Calipers] [Water-To-Air IC] [AFCO Ford SVT HE] [IAT Post-IC] [Bosch IC Pump] [9.5L System Fluid Capacity]

People over here like to have nap time a lot

Krunch

[*DHP PowerTuner*] [L36] [180 TStat] [ZZP HVTB] [HV3] [Resonator & U-Bend Delete] [Carsound Hi Flow Cat] [Corsa Catback] [P&P OEM Manifolds] [Precision PT61] [ZZP Trans] [3000 Stall] [2.93 Gears] [F-Body Calipers] [Water-To-Air IC] [AFCO Ford SVT HE] [IAT Post-IC] [Bosch IC Pump] [9.5L System Fluid Capacity]

Tuner in Training
    I don't think this table is accessible in HPTuners as I can't find it. This might explain why you haven't had any responses to this post. I do remember seeing this table when I had a Powrtuner. Have you posted this or searched for it on the DHP forum? I know there are posts regarding this on their forum.
    '02 Impala L36 SC (ZZP SSM90 w/3.6" Pulley) WizAired CAI, N* Throttle Body, ZZP Yella Terra 1.95 Roller Rockers, Comp Cams 105# springs, Lucas 38# Flowmatched injectors, Milzy Motorsports Stage 2 heads milled .020, Ported LIM, SLP Headers, SLP cat, GMPP cat back, Thrasher Shift Kit

Not in HPT, huh, interesting. Might explain why HPT guys haven't posted. Sorry for the sarcasm. There are quite a few people over here now who had DHP, figured they might have some input even. I posted over here as it seems the DHP forum is dying a miserable death right now. I will try though.

Thanx,
    Krunch

Tuner in Training
    You checked the obvious that all the relays and fuses are good? Have you checked if the work with a stock bin? Maybe flash your stock bin in and make minimal changes to make sure your car can idle and set the temps for fan turn on low enough that your car does not have to idle long until they come on
    Mike (MOJO)

2003 GTP, L36 swap, TOGs extremes, ZZP stage 3 heads, SSIC, ZZP Ported Blower, 3.0/3.2 pulley, XP hot cam w/ 105#, 42.5# injectors, N* w/ 85mm MAF, Meziere Water Pump.
    Need more info, follow link below

Mod List
    http://www.jscgp.com/garage.php?mode=view_vehicle&CID=5

http://www.jscgp.com

Kinda afraid to flash a stock bin....different injector + a turbo now. Basically, the fans work as they should when Class 2 fans are disabled in the bin. If I enable class 2 fans (Like my OEM file) they stop working completely. Kinda like the status is inverted.

Krunch

Advanced Tuner
    Krunch.. See "CC Override" under System > Fans in HPT. You might notice a similarity to "Class 2 Fan" setting.
    97 Grand Prix GTP (not going to bother listing mods in detail) 1 messed up 97 PCM with about 30-50% of a 2003 calibration and parts of a few others.

Tuner in Training
    Just copy the injector and maf table over there, just idle to get warm enough to verify that it is the bin and nothing else. I would not even put the car in gear, so I would not have to change the trans settings. You could be 100% sure it is the program or not in like 10 min
    Mike (MOJO)

2003 GTP, L36 swap, TOGs extremes, ZZP stage 3 heads, SSIC, ZZP Ported Blower, 3.0/3.2 pulley, XP hot cam w/ 105#, 42.5# injectors, N* w/ 85mm MAF, Meziere Water Pump.

Mod List

bilemke, I have DHP

damojo2003, it IS the bin, if I "Enable" the class 2 serial fans, my fans stop working. If I "Disable" class 2 fans, my fans work as they should, dictated by the fan turn on points, etc. Weird.

Krunch

Tuner in Training
    What is the harm in taking a stock bin and then copy your changes that you have access to in the DHP and see how that runs? Obviously there was some other changes done....do you know what programmer was used to program your pcm? There might be another programmer out there that I don't know about, that is why I am asking
    Mike (MOJO)

Mod List

I ASSUME it was done with DHP as when I was on speaking terms with Kevin @ Cartuning he recomended the DHP product, as I ASSUME he was using it himself.

I may try modifying a stock bin someday and flash it to try. Just right now it's a lot of tables to go through and change for testing a "Flag" on a table that appears to be inverted, but functional. Would have to change for injectors, gears, TCC, just to name a few. Plus it requires a full write and with the trouble I have had over the past 2 years, Full writes scare the CRAP out of me. I am more than happy being just able to tune, and finally write partial files. (Well, 15/15 times so far anyway since inboard offboard wiring mod )

I was just curious if someone has a simple answer or seen this issue before. It's not a priority right now as my fans are operational at the appropriate points.

Krunch

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by krunchss
    bilemke, I have DHP

damojo2003, it IS the bin, if I "Enable" the class 2 serial fans, my fans stop working. If I "Disable" class 2 fans, my fans work as they should, dictated by the fan turn on points, etc. Weird.

Krunch
    Yeah. I know you have the PT too.

If I remember correctly, the two names of settings (in HPT and PT) are different names for the same things.

"Enable", if I remember correctly, allows for the Climate Control in the car to control the fans. "Disabled" means the PCM controls the fans.
    97 Grand Prix GTP (not going to bother listing mods in detail) 1 messed up 97 PCM with about 30-50% of a 2003 calibration and parts of a few others.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by bilemke
    If I remember correctly, the two names of settings (in HPT and PT) are different names for the same things.

"Enable", if I remember correctly, allows for the Climate Control in the car to control the fans. "Disabled" means the PCM controls the fans.
    Hey Krunch....this is spot on. My SSEi is set to 1 stock. It's at 0 now to allow the fans to be controlled by the PCM. (Trannyman95 figured this out when he did some work on my car.)

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19482
    Last edited by TommyGloves; 09-13-2008 at 01:54 AM.

Interesting guys thanx alot! That actually makes SOME sense. Last summer I tried changing this for the first time, and quickly changed it back. Basically, my fans would only come on at low speed when the A/C was on. If the CC fan was turned off, I think the fans would shut off completely. I watched my temps rise, to a point where they seems hot to me, and then quickly changed that Class 2 fan setting back to allow the fans to kick in. But in reality, what seemed hot to me, was still likely below the OEM 195 T-Stat turn on points. Maybe if I waited a bit longer the fans finally would have came on full speed.

Nonetheless, I am happy with that response guys so again, thanx a lot!

Krunch

Advanced Tuner
    Dwayne, your PCM had some rewiring issues a while back, if I recall? This could simply be a switched wire. This is so minor, I would not worry about it. If it works, it works. It's when you don't have fans on your turbo'ed beast that you should be worrying.
    '99 Black GTP Sedan
    3.4-2.6" PB Quick Change pulleys, Custom CAI, XP Cam, N* TB, LQ4 MAF, SLP headers, 42.5# Injectors, 180/195* thermostat.

13.501 @ 103.392 on 91 (2.4 60-foot).
    13.82 @ 105.28 on 87 octane! (2.42 60-foot).
    263kph top end as shown on the GPS.
    All this and 39MPG to boot. What more can a man ask for?
    * Just another enthusiastic amateur tuner! *

Re-wiring issues? Fried wires yes. But Cartuning changed this setting in the PCM they originally sent me and it's been like it ever since. Did bilemke post the answer above? Cartuning disables one thing, but enabled something different to let the fans now be controlled by the CC?

Sounds like a good answer?

Krunch