Thread: New tuner here with lots of questions.

Potential Tuner

Question New tuner here with lots of questions.

ok...im running a 2001 s-10 4.3, no cats, cold air intake, performance maf sensor, new throttle body (without the block plate).

I see 8 deg kr at 3500rpm at wot as you can see on the scan. question is exactly why I noticed it is running a bit lean I dont know wether to adjust timing or fuel (note vcm did not have time to "learn" fuel trim) honestly I dont exactly know how to adjust them either ex. what table what adjustments and why. I know im a noob and any help would be greatly appreciated.

I tried to firm up the shifts for only under wot conditions. Apparently I never hit that tq range because there is no difference in how it shifts. How exactly does the vcm get it's torque figures so I know where to make the adjustments for the shifts. I only want to firm the shifts under wot because I dont want to be beating the H@#% out of my transmission all the time. I realize theres no way a stock engine will make the 600 ft lb but I figured i'd start there because that was max and I dident know how it got it's tq rateing in the vcm.

Last but not least. Throttle response. I know there it a way to get instant throttle response because before I had hp tuners I had a superchips tune on it that gave me way quicker throttle response in gear and p/n. Unfortunately I had to remove that tune before I got the hp tuners so I couldent get a log of it. Right now even in p/n if I crack the throttle it takes a split sec for the engine to rev...almost as if there is some sort of programmed delay. Any ideas of how to get around it? because i'd love to have my throttle response back.

I included a stock tune at the bottom so you can see changes im running the no speed limiter one now. I changed the idle rpm the shift firmness removed the speed limiter and some dtc's so the dummy light dosent come on. by the way when you disable the ses does that keep that function from operateing all together or does it just prevent the vcm from turning on the ses light?

I realize i've probably asked some stupid questions here but I am a noob in search of knowledge.
    Last edited by JMcintire; 09-22-2008 at 07:27 PM.

Compare your tune with this one & zero all the differences, as I don't have a license for your truck. The PE enable torque & torque hyst. tables don't apply to your OS.

I don't believe your truck has a tow/haul button. The performance tables are only used if your in tow/haul mode. I left all the performance tables stock.

You can use my Maf config file for tuning, just insert your brand of wideband in the table display in place of my FJO. Then set your PE table to 1.13 & rescale the Maf table to get an actual 13.0 AFR @ WOT.

Russ Kemp

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ K
    Compare your tune with this one & zero all the differences, as I don't have a license for your truck. The PE enable torque & torque hyst. tables don't apply to your OS.

I don't believe your truck has a tow/haul button. The performance tables are only used if your in tow/haul mode. I left all the performance tables stock.

You can use my Maf config file for tuning, just insert your brand of wideband in the table display in place of my FJO. Then set your PE table to 1.13 & rescale the Maf table to get an actual 13.0 AFR @ WOT.

Russ Kemp

Thank you, no my truck dosent have a tow/haul button. And im waiting for my wideband it's still somewhere in the mail (we all know how that is). I understand most of the changes but why did the trans revs per mile change and will that effect my speedo? I'll probably have more q's when I get the wideband for tuning my maf im not shure I completely understand all that is involved there....we'll see when I get there.

Under transmission:
    Shift Propertys:
    Shift Pressure (normal) (Performance)

Change the values in both from 0flbs to 260ft lbs to a value of 25.
    Start there and move them up/down depending on how firm you want the shifts.
    The other values that Russ changed are dead on.
    That's how i've gotten firmer shifts on stock tranny's but every trans acts different so start low and work up.
    Hope that helps,
    Scott~

His truck doesn't have a tow/haul button. Only the normal & cruise trans tables are used.

As for the shift pressure, leave that table as I set it. Why would you want to decrease the shift pressure at the higher torque cells?

Russ Kemp

Potential Tuner
    Once again thanks for your help....im still waiting for that wideband o2, I have a bit of a knock problem...as far as I can tell the only way to attack this issue is to adjust the cells that have knock manually....or is there a better way that I am not aware of...?

You need to tune the AFR before tuning out excessive spark knock, as some knock retard is normal. Is the knock audible?

Russ Kemp

Potential Tuner
    the only time it's audible is right when I start the truck it sounds like it only happens on the first cylinder that fires only when it's warm though....other than that I cant hear it.

I was not refering to any shift tables above 260ftlbs.. Stock is fine there.
    I'm refering to 260 and down to 0ftlbs.
    Increasing these firms the shifts under normal driving from what I've found.
    ~Scott