Thread: OBDII VPW cables

OBDII VPW cables

Just curious as to what everybody uses for cables and black boxes (for want of a better word). And while we're at it what software.. editors, programmers, readers etc.

Me personally..nothing.. lol... I am just getting into the newer stuff and have nothing but the usual software (tunercat, obd2, carchat etc.). I have no OBDII cables but wifey wont let be play with the new car anyway.. :P
    My 93 however is another story..... ;D
    Business Network Solutions - for all your PC, network, printer and computer security needs.

Tuner

Re: OBDII VPW cables

I use Autotap V2 hardware.
    Currently I only use the Autotap software.
    I have yet to find a way to get an image of the PCM from Autotap. I havnt really tried mainly because noone seems to know the command(s) to do so.
    &&-=#Determined to figure out the PCM in my 2k Impala#=-&&http://www.lynoise.com

you have the autotap h/w and s/w? it should tell you ho
    w..
    let me check and see what it takes to pull the file..
    Business Network Solutions - for all your PC, network, printer and computer security needs.

Tuner

No Autotap (B&B) wont tell you any info on how to get the image out of the PCM. They only give you their software which is an enhanced scanner. It can read trouble codes and almost any engine vitals realtime.. it is an awesome tool. I use it almost daily. :P
    &&-=#Determined to figure out the PCM in my 2k Impala#=-&&http://www.lynoise.com

man.. i thought OBDII was easier than ALDL.. looks to be alot harder!

Potential Tuner

hello, i am new here and i use the multi-plex t16-002 interface.

Potential Tuner

Hi all. I'm looking forward to this board! I'm a newbie to all this as well, and my motive is to learn & tweak the Delphi ECM in my Harley, which is supposed to be VPW.

I haven't sorted out all of the SAE specs & messages yet so all of what I say is really speculation right now.

I've purchased the BR interface cable, and learned that it may filter out some of the header info that would be needed to do flashing, and the software definately doesn't support it.

I've also just ordered Alex Peper's Tricom cable because it looks like it may decode the VPW message format and pass on the most data without "filtering" any important bytes. His software also looks like it will send and receive whatever you want to try, as well. Time will tell, and I'll keep the board posted.

His url is: http://www.obd-2.com/

Keep in mind that to "read" the VPW format, firmware in the cable (or software on a PC) needs to analyze the incoming pulse to decide what data value it means. So, be careful to find something that passes most, if not all of the info on. SAE has a spec/requirement to somehow encrypt the data to flash program an ECM in an effort to thwart tampering. So, the issue as I see it is to make sure you have a cable that will allow all the data bits needed for programming mode, then you need the sofware to encrypt/decrypt, and lastly, you need the format & the data!!

Potential Tuner

Hello All!

I was just wondering if anyone knows what kind of interface carputing is using for LS1 edit?
    is it made by multiplex?

JD4x4: Alex's stuff will pass everything you need. Alex himself is very good at answering questions.
    A Harley huh.. I had a 64 XLCH.. it didnt even have a BATTERY! Times sure have changed...

Potential Tuner

.Re: OBDII VPW cables

RoboG- Thanks, that's good to know about the Tricom. I haven't gotten it yet but look forward to it.

Yeah, my 2002 FLHTCUI has a Delphi F.I. system! Times HAVE changed. And, for the better I think!. It will be out of warranty in Dec. so I gotta hurry ;D . It has an ALDL/Flash wire as well as a data wire that I was told is where the programming is done, using PWM. But, I don't know if it uses OBD messages or what. Should be a learning experience. (Apologies all, for this message being off-topic).

Potential Tuner

JD - Take a look at the Harley Screamin Eagle catalog. They have a 'tuner' for the Delphi EFI that lets you reprogram the ECM (changing Fuel, AFR --etc) and it includes a scan tool function as well. Total cost is around $400 I think. It is OBD2.

Gary

well alright Gary!! good find..

sounds like they made it nice and easy to tune your bike.. (hint-hint GM!)

Now Gary, how'd you find out about that Harley software? ;D

As for LS1Edit, Carputing designed it. Dave @ Carputing designed the circuit from scratch (using some SAE general guidelines for the actual OBDII interface side) and wrote all the code, both in the cable and in the PC.

-Andrew

Potential Tuner

Vee havf our vays...

Gary

ya know.. the sad thing the new Harley's have more HP than my car!

I thought carputing "copied" from GM or somewhere... not from scratch per se...

Potential Tuner

I use the unit from Canada.

http://www.funddealernet.com/wgiobdii

Both the hardware and the software work great.

Paul.

That ELM chip is sure getting popular!