Thread: New smog laws in CA--custom tune=fail?

Potential Tuner

New smog laws in CA--custom tune=fail?

AB2289 was signed by Arnold earlier this year, and although I've read the entire bill, there is no specific testing instructions for the new OBDII scan that is going to replace the 2 speed sniffer dyno test. There are rumors that the state's testing will be able to detect a difference in calibration ID on the pcm and regardless of the readiness states, it will fail the test if that calibration ID is different from OEM.

Is there a way to mask this in HP tuners to bypass this issue? Again, this is just a rumor, the bill itself doesn't become state law for 2 years as they have to allow the smog shops to purchase/convert over their equipment. Im just curious how that calibration ID would be viewable without specialized software (like a tech2 or hptuners).

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    depends on what they consider the calibration id I suppose, if they are talking about the operating system id unless you switch to a custom operating system that won't change.

If they are talking about CVN's thats another story.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

cal ID's and CVN's are part of the Mode 6, 7, 8,or 9 data, I do not recall which one.

I can nearly guarantee that hpt will not have CVN faking like EFI did for a short time a couple of years ago for stream owners.

Advanced Tuner
    I still get a chuckle everytime I think you guys have the pregnant guy from Junior running your state

Then again we have a Ginga running our country.....
    04 Velocity MKII M6 & 06 BF F6 555 ZF6