Thread: Disable anti-theft system

Potential Tuner

Disable anti-theft system

Hello Carputing:

My name is Daniel. I like to know if you can disable the anti-theft systme of a Chevrolet Cavlier 2000 2.2L. The ECU (LS1) number is:

DCAA
    Serv No 09356249
    HDW 16268310

Thanks very much for your attention

Regards, Daniel

Potential Tuner
    No.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by elecautocr
    Hello Carputing:

My name is Daniel. I like to know if you can disable the anti-theft systme of a Chevrolet Cavlier 2000 2.2L. The ECU (LS1) number is:

DCAA
    Serv No 09356249
    HDW 16268310

Thanks very much for your attention

Regards, Daniel
    Carputing? This site is HPTuners. Carputing does not support V6, or 4 cylinders.

To answer your question is easy. HPT does not support the EcoTec 4 cylinder at all at this time. They are working on it.

Even if they do support the tuning side of the transmission and engine, the PASSLOCK is not going to be defeated I dont think. You will have to use the PASSLOCK system in whatever you trying to install this engine in. You are going to need the switch, BCM, and PCM, and maybe some other supporting modules to release the theft fuel enable signal.

Loyde

actually, i think we will be able to disable VATS on these. There are some flags that bypass all the VATs code and also another flag that determines if fuel is cut if VATS fails.

Needs to be tested but i think it will work.

Chris...
    I count sheep in hex...

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris@HPTuners
    actually, i think we will be able to disable VATS on these. There are some flags that bypass all the VATs code and also another flag that determines if fuel is cut if VATS fails.

Needs to be tested but i think it will work.

Chris...

Well, being it is PASSLOCK, and not PassKey, I can see you might be able to get to some flags in the code and disable it. That would be great.

Maybe PassKey will be easier to figure out how to get around in the future.

Loyde

Passlock is serial VATS yeah?
    I count sheep in hex...

Advanced Tuner
    Passlock is serial VATS yeah?

I had to work on a LB7 (duramx) recently and learned the difference in this passkey vs passlock...

PassKey is the resistor in the key, or the transponder in the key head. If you remember the 2004 3800SC engine I put in the Fiero was PassKey 3+. The key head had the transponder, it excited the BCM, the BCM checked the code, and released the theft fuel enable signal to the PCM. This signal is a HEX value on PASSKEY 3 + systems, 50 hertz signal on PassKey II systems.

PassLock is the resistor is in the ignition switch itself. Not sure how many values of resistors there are, but the resistor value triggers the BCM as the lock switch rotates. The BCM releases the theft fuel enable signal to the PCM. I am not sure what it takes to get around this one, but there are many alarm devices that have remote start that work with this.

Loyde

ok, in the code i am looking at it relates to the signal received from the BCM what we call "serial VATS" as the signal is rx'd on the class 2 bus.

Chris...
    I count sheep in hex...

Advanced Tuner
    ok, in the code i am looking at it relates to the signal received from the BCM what we call "serial VATS" as the signal is rx'd on the class 2 bus.

Chris...

Trouble is, I know there are 2 types of signals. The HEX data on the class 2 for PassKey 3, and the hertz signal on the passkey II.

The class 2 bus is only going to know hex values. The BCM generated the 50 hertz to the PCM on others, but it was not over the class 2 serial bus.

Surely there are flags to turn off either. Well, we know there is in the 99 GTP. This PCM will start a engine without any signal to the theft fuel enable.

Loyde

yes the other type we call "PWM". The code i am looking at doesn't seem to have PWM at all.

In the V6 code there is a single switch if it is "0" it runs PWM, if it's "1" it runs "serial" there is no other option. The V8's have an extra value "2" that means "none".

From memory, the testing you did showed that if you set a PWM car to serial the car ran fine without the signal being received.
    I count sheep in hex...

Advanced Tuner
    That only worked on the GT and GTP cars. I tried it on a Bonneville PCM, and it did not work.

I only flash my PCM's to GT or GTP code for the 3800 support to rid the VATs problem.

You never were able to kill that PassKey 3 + code in the 04 GTP PCM, so I had to add the BCM and the PMM ( power master mode ) stuff.

Loyde

Tuner in Training
    Daniel-

There is a nice clean fix for this if your intent is to run the engine without the BCM (body controller)... very very easy if you still have the J Car BCM.
    Basically:
    1.Teach the BCM a new 'key'. This is simply an analog voltage. I can email a valid voltage to you. You are simulating the presence of a 'Key Module'.
    2.Relearn the BCM to PCM. Serial messaging, can be done w/o special tools - takes about 20 minutes.
    3.Start engine.
    4.Disconnect BCM while running. This will set a theft disable code. Will not set a 'Check Eng' light. Engine will continue to run without a glitch. Shut engine down, leaving BCM disconnected.
    5.Engine will now start/run without the BCM present. Even after battery resets.

This will work, just depends on what your goal is. Let me know if you need help.

Torg

Tuner
    ^interesting tid bit

I'm not sure if this thread has any relevence or life yet but

To answer your question is easy. HPT does not support the EcoTec 4 cylinder at all at this time. They are working on it.
    the ecotec wasn't available in the Jbody until 2002. the 2001 and previous 2.2 liter is the LN2 (more commonly referred to as the OHV or 2200). its earliest incarnation is the 2.2 OHV, and in 1998 was updated to the 2200 version (very small changes and different induction set up). They were updated to class2 electrical in 2000.

But on topic, I'm not sure what the original poster is hoping to accomplish by removing or disabling security system. AFAIK, the jbody never had an encoded key.. just passlock2... which is very easy to reprogram for a new pcm, bcm, key lock cylinder, or dammit there's one more thing but I can't remember...

passlock2 relearn:

1) Attempt to start car. The engine will try to start but either run rugged and stall or not start at all. This is ok.

2) After the failed start attemp, leave key in run position. The SECURITY or equivelent light will be illuminated on dash board.

3) Go grab a soda, beer, cigarette, or quickie with your loved one for 15 minutes.

4) Afterwards, come back and look at your dashboard. The SECURITY light or equivelent should now be off.

5) Turn the key to the off position and remove it (just to make sure) wait 10 seconds, then start the car

6) Enjoy.

You may have to do it a few times to get it to work, but I've done several relearns on 00+ J-bodies, and they all work the first time out thus far.

It may be different for earlier years, or the new GM Delta and Kappa platforms.

Tuner
    hmm upon actually devoting thought process to such, I would guess that the VATS makes burning the VCM a bit of a hassle?

..makes sense