Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LNF competition mode/traction control enabled at start?

Tuner in Training

Question LNF competition mode/traction control enabled at start?

Currently, you've got to double-punch the button on the dash to turn off TC and enable competition mode. Is there an adjustment in the HPT that will let me toggle that on at startup?

And, while I'm asking... what about enabling the driving lights as well. Seems pretty silly that I have to turn them on with the dash button even though the headlights come on automagically.

XXL,
    Traction control functions are controlled by the BCM and not modifiable in the PCM. I hear you, it does suck but theres not a whole lot we can do about it.

It's the same way on my Z06 and someone used to make an aftermarket controller called the Laptrax that interfaced with the T/C button that let you set the desired state of the T/C system at vehicle start.

Maybe someone will make something like this for the LNF.
    Aaron

'03 Z06 Corvette - The Normal Stuff.....
    EFI-101, EFI Advanced, EFILive-101, Variable Camshaft Tuning
    EFI University Evangelist

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 405HP_Z06 View Post
    XXL,
    Traction control functions are controlled by the BCM and not modifiable in the PCM. I hear you, it does suck but theres not a whole lot we can do about it.

It's the same way on my Z06 and someone used to make an aftermarket controller called the Laptrax that interfaced with the T/C button that let you set the desired state of the T/C system at vehicle start.

Maybe someone will make something like this for the LNF.
    I was actually contemplating making a small circuit that would "hit the button" twice at key-on, but I'd want to get the Molex plugs to match the factory so it would be a snap-in deal. Pretty simple circuit... just a PITA to track down the plugs. Maybe when I get tired of pushing the buttons all the time, I'll cobble one together to see if it's worth productizing.

Advanced Tuner
    Honeoye,Ny. Boondox son. Shoot guns out my back door. noone cares.
    Hmm What would it take to get into the BCM?
    Me love boost long time.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldturbofreak.com View Post
    Hmm What would it take to get into the BCM?
    Well, probably just a hammer and chisel

Advanced Tuner
    haha, lets try it on yours first!
    Me love boost long time.

Honestly makes no difference whether it's on or off in my car...

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Programmer View Post
    Honestly makes no difference whether it's on or off in my car...
    Is that because you don't lose traction? Or because it's not working. It DEFINITELY changes behavior in mine. When off, I can boil the tires in first and break them loose in second. When on, nada.

Advanced Tuner
    Id like to have the throttle roll back in a great deal faster on my gearshifts.
    I can shift in .3sec. It takes a full second for the throttle to roll back in.
    Me love boost long time.

I have some custom hardware that accesse the GM Single Wire CAN bus, this is the bus the BCM runs on. I'll see if I can find the codes necessary to auto enable competition mode.

Then I should be able to wire up a box to make it do it on start up that simply plugs into the OBD port

EDIT: I found the code the button sends out on the bus already, and isolated a start up code to base it off of. Wrote up a little script that monitored the codes for the trigger and then .5 seconds later sent the first push, and .5 seconds after that sent the next... Turned off the car and turned it back on and my car went into competition mode.
    Last edited by fr0stb1t3; 12-12-2008 at 12:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fr0stb1t3 View Post
    I have some custom hardware that accesse the GM Single Wire CAN bus, this is the bus the BCM runs on. I'll see if I can find the codes necessary to auto enable competition mode.

Then I should be able to wire up a box to make it do it on start up that simply plugs into the OBD port

EDIT: I found the code the button sends out on the bus already, and isolated a start up code to base it off of. Wrote up a little script that monitored the codes for the trigger and then .5 seconds later sent the first push, and .5 seconds after that sent the next... Turned off the car and turned it back on and my car went into competition mode.
    How can we do that?

Quote Originally Posted by kuprito View Post
    How can we do that?
    Can't quite yet, I'm going to work on getting a box set-up that I'll sell for cheap to do it. All my hardware is custom made.

Can't quite yet, I'm going to work on getting a box set-up that I'll sell for cheap to do it. All my hardware is custom made.
    This is great! Could you have the option to set the start up value to any of the modes available? i.e. Normal, competition, off
    Aaron

This is great! Could you have the option to set the start up value to any of the modes available? i.e. Normal, competition, off
    It'll add quite a bit to complexity of the box since right now we're talking 3-4 chips and an OBD connector. I could set that up when the box is ordered without increasing the complexity of it at all though. Worth $20 or so to be able to select it on the box?

It'll add quite a bit to complexity of the box since right now we're talking 3-4 chips and an OBD connector. I could set that up when the box is ordered without increasing the complexity of it at all though. Worth $20 or so to be able to select it on the box?
    Could we just splice into the TC button wiring? I would like to leave the OBD connector free so I can plug in HPT at the same time. I'd easily pay the 20 additional bones for this option.
    Aaron

Could we just splice into the TC button wiring? I would like to leave the OBD connector free so I can plug in HPT at the same time. I'd easily pay the 20 additional bones for this option.
    The plug can be a pass through: it will be plugged in to the OBD, and HPT can piggy back through it. They use a different set of pins on the connector anyways.

Bring the vette by sometime (I'm in Dallas) and I may be able to do the same for it.
    Last edited by fr0stb1t3; 12-12-2008 at 03:07 PM.

The plug can be a pass through: it will be plugged in to the OBD, and HPT can piggy back through it. They use a different set of pins on the connector anyways.

Bring the vette by sometime (I'm in Dallas) and I may be able to do the same for it.
    Sounds AWESOME! I'll PM you so I can work out a time to come by with the Z06. Thanks!!!!!
    Aaron

Sounds AWESOME! I'll PM you so I can work out a time to come by with the Z06. Thanks!!!!!
    I'll pull the data I need from your car and then work on the hardware as soon as I can.

I'll pull the data I need from your car and then work on the hardware as soon as I can.
    PM sent! Thanks!!!!
    Aaron

Tuner in Training
    We've got to get the BCM cracked open on the HHR's. After seeing "ESC Active" on the DIC recently, I found out that it's the car's Electronic Stability Control kicking in. And it turns out that ESC "improves" stability by working the brakes on a per-corner basis. I was hammering through some turns at the edge of the tire and I kept feeling pulsing on the inside front wheel... grrrrr. It's not a stability issue when you've got at least 3 wheels on the ground.

To disable, you hold down the TC button for 10 seconds. Unfortunately, that circuit resets on each ignition cycle and any time you tap the TC button again.

So that makes 3 things I'd like to be able to control programmatically--

Disable ESC
    Default to Comp Mode
    Default to driving lights on