Thread: A little help with compatability please

Potential Tuner

A little help with compatability please

G'day,

I have a Commodore 2001 VU SS Series 2 Ute.

I would like to get a Magden M.1b.

However, their list of compatabile vehicles does not list Aussie cars.

Is there a US equivalent, or what info should I supply them to ensure this thing to work.

I have sent them an inquiry email, their response (from a marketing guy)indicated that there unit works with 2001-2002 Chevy Camaro with a J1850 protocol.

Effectively, the Magden unit will end up costing less than any OBD gauge type with added ability to store data, if it works!!!!! I already have the screen..

So with cap in hand, help? Will it work?

The link is http://magden-auto.com/ where they do have a list of tried and true vehicles.

Oh and I have tried a HKS Camp 2 out of curiosity and it didn't work.

Contact via this thread or by personal email is ok.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Complete Novice View Post
    G'day,

I have a Commodore 2001 VU SS Series 2 Ute.

I would like to get a Magden M.1b.

However, their list of compatabile vehicles does not list Aussie cars.

Is there a US equivalent, or what info should I supply them to ensure this thing to work.

I have sent them an inquiry email, their response (from a marketing guy)indicated that there unit works with 2001-2002 Chevy Camaro with a J1850 protocol.

Effectively, the Magden unit will end up costing less than any OBD gauge type with added ability to store data, if it works!!!!! I already have the screen..

So with cap in hand, help? Will it work?

The link is http://magden-auto.com/ where they do have a list of tried and true vehicles.

Oh and I have tried a HKS Camp 2 out of curiosity and it didn't work.

Contact via this thread or by personal email is ok.
    There is no reason why i wont work the j1850 is from my understanding the Gm obd11 communication protocol including holden. I have fitted a few similar units to customers vehicle( vt-ve inc hsv commodores) like dashDaq Aeroforce plx etc. They work but not all of the pids were detected on Holden compared to the usa vehicles for some reason. The dashdaq worked the best except didnt recognize the oil pressure pid nor would it read the Hptuners 2 bar pid. The Dash daq has the capability to except 0-5v analogue inputs allowing to wire a separate map and oil sender in making it function superbly. I hope this helps. Are you setting it up through a in-dash touch screen or similar

Potential Tuner

Complete Novice to Near Complete Novice

Cheers Brumby,

Yes it is getting hooked up into an Alpine Screen. I like this option for a few reasons,
    1. the best being its stealth install,
    2. the abiltity to data record to a thumb drive
    3. the ability to add on gauges/meters as required
    However the touch screen features will not come across, but can be accessed with a mini mouse or track ball which does not need to be permanant once the initial setup is done.

This is a learning thing for me and I have discovered the wonders of the PID Table which I guess is the key to accessing the channels on the OBD.
    I am just wondering what info is out there on the VX Gen3 PID Table
    I have found this link to some softewate to determine the PID's.
    http://www.glmsoftware.com/ScreenshotsPidReader.aspx

If I gave the PID table to Magden would they be able to tell me the compatability and or customise one to suit?
    I would have to get the table first unless someone can mail it to me.

And I have also read somehwere, in another forum whilst trawling for info, and the location escapes me, that someone else was having trouble with a 2 bar tune, and the solution was not in the tune itself but in a setting outside the tune file which needs to be changed to 2 bar.