Thread: Help! Maxed MAF = No Fuel!

Help! Maxed MAF = No Fuel!

I went to the track tonight, and had a big problem. I maxed out my MAF values, hitting 11500-11700 during the first run. What really gets me is that when I hit the MAF ceiling, fuel was cut, and I ran way lean, causing massive KR. I don't think any engine damage was done, as it seemed to pull fine on the way home with no rough spots.

Why was fuel cut? Shouldn't the fueling stay the same as the highest cell even though it goes beyond that? Thanks for any info. I sure don't want to run again until I get this figured out.

2000 Regal GS | Twin-Charged T72 | HPT Pro + PLX Wideband | 12.55 @ 110 on 15psi | Now running 20psi on E85!

1998 5.9L Durango | Powerdyne supercharger @6psi | Mesa Headers | Gibson Cat-back | 1.7 RR's | Tuned PCM | Ported Heads | Custom TB & Intake | Custom fuel rails | Rebuild coming soon...

My MAF fail frequency was set to 11500. As I think more about this, I'm guessing the MAF went into fail mode, and maybe VE took over?

2000 Regal GS | Twin-Charged T72 | HPT Pro + PLX Wideband | 12.55 @ 110 on 15psi | Now running 20psi on E85!

1998 5.9L Durango | Powerdyne supercharger @6psi | Mesa Headers | Gibson Cat-back | 1.7 RR's | Tuned PCM | Ported Heads | Custom TB & Intake | Custom fuel rails | Rebuild coming soon...

Potential Tuner
    That sounds like a good idea. I think that is where the stock MAF table tops at 11500 and that is why the default cutoff is there. I'd assume that if you just raise that fail point, then the PCM will just keep the last airflow vs Hz even as the airflow increases. In that case, you'd think you are ok as you just go over by 200 Hz.

I'd still say ouch for the KR and lean conditions. Doesn't take much to wack a bearing (watch oil pressure in your cruising around) or ding a piston (pull a plug and check that).

Great to see that with your wideband. I just installed mine and need to get it logged with HPT via EGR.

-Scott

Advanced Tuner
    Time for a AFC for you. What time did you run?
    2005 Grand Prix GTP
    My CarDomain Page

I guess I'll try raising the fail point and see what happens, but I am definitely going to look around for an AFC, or maybe an LT1 MAF.

That run was a 13.1 at 105.7. I went home after that as I didn't want to risk any damage. I removed the MSP CAI before going to the track. I think that is what increased the airflow.

Advanced Tuner
    You don't have a 85mm maf?
    2005 Grand Prix GTP
    My CarDomain Page

Quote Originally Posted by Perforator View Post
    You don't have a 85mm maf?
    I have the LQ4 MAF with the N* TB. I don't think I should be maxing that out with my mods, but I did.

Advanced Tuner
    Yea I wouldn't think so either, at least not with this warm of weather. I did last winter with the 2.8 but it was in the 20's.
    2005 Grand Prix GTP
    My CarDomain Page

It was around 50* last night when I left the track. I had the 2.8 pulley on, and as you can see in the scan, I was well above 14psi. I just ran two weeks ago with the exact same setup and didn't have this problem. I think it was around 60* that night.