Thread: Starting with an '06 LE5... any advice?

Tuner in Training

Starting with an '06 LE5... any advice?

According to UPS, I will get my VCM tomorrow, so I figure now would be a good time to ask the guys who have already "been there."

I have an '06 HHR with the 2.4 LE5 and auto trans. The only mechanical mod that I have done so far is a K&N cold air intake.

I am wondering if anybody has any advice as to a good place to start as far as tweaks and settings for better performance? I would like to optimize for the K&N and make the annoying "lean condition" trouble light/trac control light go away, but I would also like to improve overall performance.

I know that tuning is a learning process, but I would definately appreciate anybody's advice as to where to start basde on their own trial and error.

Thanks!

Read...Read...Read! And when you think you have read enough, read more. This forum is great for searching for specific information and asking specific questions. Check out the getting started area (http://www.hptuners.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37).

There are several guides (LS1, Cpig's, BBA, Gary's to list a few) you can find out there online. Can find several books (http://www.amazon.com/Engine-Managem.../dp/1932494421) on the forum. There are also other tuning info websites out there (http://redhardsupra.blogspot.com/). ALL of which will say slightly different things and have slightly different approaches. There is no one way to do something but there are always better ways of doing it.

Read...Read...Read! Start searching to see what others are doing and what questions others are asking. Start experimenting and making small changes but SAVE your stock tune in several places before doing so. Good luck.
    Steve

2007 GMC Canyon Z71-4x4 | 3.7 I5-Auto | 4" Skyjacker suspension lift | 3" Performance Accessories body lift | 33x11.5x17 tires (going 35x12.5x17) | 3.73 gears | 57 K&N | BPi VS | AMS EaAU 6081 | SSK MAF Adapter | NGK AFX w/ NTK WBO2 | AMSoil fluids

Here is a basic write I made for the LE5 about a year ago.

LE5 Tuning FAQ

If you have any other questions post up

I second studying REDFOCZ's FAQ. He researched and did a fine job on it.

Unfortunately, a lot of the other guides have areas that don't apply well to the LE5, but the basics are still there.

You mentioned the K&N intake.... It's common to throw a P0171 lean code with that. The solution is to pay attention to the MAF calibration here. With the different intake, the MAF airflow modeling is off resulting in the DTC.

Getting rid of the PE delay will wake it up. For better mileage, you'll find there's room for more advance in the cruise ranges, depending upon what grade of gas you use.

Most of all, read, learn and try to get a good scaning file setup (there's one in the stickies above). Learn the scanner first to find out what it's doing and where you can improve the tune.

Good luck to another HHR owner and have fun!
    Last edited by BennyHHR; 10-20-2008 at 08:51 AM.

Good engineering is simply finding the right wrench to pound in the correct screw.

And here is the man to speak to if you have any questions.

Hows the HHR running with the blower Joe?

Quote Originally Posted by REDFOCZ View Post
    And here is the man to speak to if you have any questions.

Hows the HHR running with the blower Joe?
    RED, it's running F'n awesome!!

Just gotta find the time to play with 1st gear torque settings some more. It's pretty much useless now at WOT.

Good engineering is simply finding the right wrench to pound in the correct screw.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks guys! That's a great starting place. Now if I can just get things going, life will be good

as for my problem...
    http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20610
    Last edited by arclightzero; 10-20-2008 at 08:59 PM. Reason: added link