Thread: OBD 2 tool for reading .bin files

OBD 2 tool for reading .bin files

Anyone have a recommendation for an obd 2 tool for reading .bin files to view with tuner pro? Specifically for e38, e67, e92 GM ecu's.

Tuner
    kess. Chinese clone. It won't read the whole bin though. Just the calibration part of memory from what I understand. But it will read it into a raw BIN. If you're intrepid, you can MITM another device like a tech2 or MDI2 while it's reading it, but that entails knowing where the data for the bin begins and ends. On top of that, you would need to be able to calculate a checksum for it, as well as have the UDS key to get into it (UDS over CAN, mode $27 SecurityAccess). I found that the Kess clone is a good tool to get your hands on a BIN that you can play around with and likely not brick your ECU. As long as the bootloader stays intact, you can usually recover it.

Now, if you want the whole BIN, OS and all, you would want something like a KTAG, but that also entails taking apart the ECM and using a BDM or equivalent to read it right off the memory itself or get the ECU, if possible, into a BOOT or recovery mode. For GM it would likely need to be done via GMLAN, or some other proprietary method via J2534 (You would need to sniff/MITM an MDI and a full flash via SPS or something. They do some things different for programming like that to tell the ECU to go into a specific mode by applying programming voltage and grounding pins on the DLC or something like that. I haven't dug too much into that just yet. I have a KTAG. lol.). Check AliExpress. Search OBDII or OBD2 and you will find all sorts of OEM clones for damn near every OEM. Most of it is related to Euro vehicles, but you can find everything from a Tactrix OpenPort 2.0 to Autel devices. Granted they are not authentic, my experience has been if you don't buy the cheapest one, and you have patience, you will be pleased. Just read the docs that come with them and use the software that comes with them. I would only use these for research purposes. Don't use them to make money. If you own a shop and are going to use something like this to make money, buy the authentic product. They spent a lot of time and money to make it.
    "Insert some inspirational or smart*** quote here..." - Some Dude
    software_engineer.net_sec.linux_hero
    www.dusette.net
    RoninDusette@github