Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NEED HELP BAD DET problems! *LOG*and *TUNE*

Tuner in Training

NEED HELP BAD DET problems! *LOG*and *TUNE*

ok i had another post going but i know how it is when someone looks once they dont go back. I am REALLY stumped here on this one. I have been tuning for a while and have a few hundred cars under my belt here and an usually figure out the problem, but if i can i will man up and ask for help, so here we go again.

car is a 2003 vette. stock motor. car ran perfect when it came in.
    WORK WE DID:
    TS TQV2 cam
    CNC'd stock heads
    TUNE.
    cars other mods
    fast intake,CAI,headers,catback,160* thermo.

OK we got the car all together and started tuning it and i was getting an AUDIBLE DET sound. HPTUNERS doesnt pick it up BUT IT IS DET. or pre ignition. i have heard DET many time in FI car and know what it sounds like.
    so i try to first just pull timing, but i have the car at only 13-15* and it still sound the same as if i have 25* in it.
    OK what we have done to try to figure it out:

changed plugs TR55 gaped to .35
    filled up with new gas 93 OCT.
    checked to make sure the timing chain wasnt a tooth off.
    changed injectors to 60 LBS injectors.(were stock)
    changed intake gaskets.
    changed o2's

so i still have this problem. also just for those that say "you sure you are hearing DET" YES when it DET it also is loosing a little power. i dont want to drive this car anymore untill i get this figured out. so any ideas?
    FRAME 285 is 3rd gead, there it also shows that the knock sensors are working YET through that WHOLE pull it is DET YET the sensors are only picking up the first little ping and then nothing else.
    . Other than this the car runs and drives great!
    Last edited by pbmmodded; 11-10-2008 at 09:37 AM.

Tuner in Training
    also car is NA no turbos or supercharger. also have tried to lean it out in the tune and richen it up to see if that changed anything. as you can tell i think the AFR is set right now to mid 11's thats where i stopped. we have went as lean as 13.2 down to 11.2 AFR and that doesnt change the DET at all either
    Last edited by pbmmodded; 11-03-2008 at 12:31 PM.

Tuner in Training
    someone please? now one has anymore ideas?

Tuner in Training
    I'm not home to look at the tune at the moment but I see your running TR55 plugs.

I would suggest a step colder espically with you being FI.
    Try some TR6's and see if that will help.
    Just got done tuning a 98 T/A with a new cam and were using TR6's.
    Also gap it to bout .38 (the TR6's that is).

Tuner in Training
    we were running the factory plugs, only about 15K oni them, then changed it to the NGK, both sets do the same thing

Tuner in Training corvettedoctor's Avatar
    Set your Burst Knock to 0 and see what happens.

Chris

Tuner in Training
    huh, how would that help?

Why in the world are you running 60# injectors??

What is the compression ratio? What head gaskets? Does the car consume a lot of oil? How do the plugs look? What is the cranking compression? How much advance in the cam?

See where I am going with this?

To me it sounds like you have an issue either too much compression or have some hot spots in either the plugs or buildup in the cylinders that is igniting it. I would not think the car would need to run a TR6 as I still run a TR5 in my car. You can also get rich knock. I have seen many issues on cars running too little timing and too much fuel knocking.
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Tuner in Training
    stock compression ls motor, stock head gaskets. no oil consumption at all. no adv on the cam, plugs looked great that last time we pulled them.....................

Cranking pressure? Something is clearly wrong, so not everything can be great. If that is the case, you are telling us that there is nothing really wrong with the car lol
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6FirebirdTA00 View Post
    Cranking pressure? Something is clearly wrong, so not everything can be great. If that is the case, you are telling us that there is nothing really wrong with the car lol
    lol tell me about it!!!!!!! this car runs great all the way to about 75% THR. idles great drives great. its just a WOT thing. i have literally tore the front of the motor apart 3 times looking for what is wrong.it starts great..i just dont get it!

100$ via pay pal for who ever can figure this out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

we also did a CYL balance test and it was good too.

What LSA and ICL is the Torquer 2 and out of curiousity what is your PTV clearance like, reason I ask is I have seen this cam not 'fit' where it was 'supposed' to fit. It is very difficult to give accurate advice over the internet but to be honest the sound you are hearing to me sounds mechanical in some way. Just my opinion for what that is worth

Is the 'ping' sound always present or is it localised to a certain RPM.

Either way I hope you sort it out soon
    Last edited by SSUte01; 11-12-2008 at 02:52 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Why is the flow rate table maxing out at 42 lb/hr when you 60lb injectors?

What is the cylinder pressure though on a compression test?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by SSUte01 View Post
    What LSA and ICL is the Torquer 2 and out of curiousity what is your PTV clearance like, reason I ask is I have seen this cam not 'fit' where it was 'supposed' to fit. It is very difficult to give accurate advice over the internet but to be honest the sound you are hearing to me sounds mechanical in some way. Just my opinion for what that is worth

Is the 'ping' sound always present or is it localised to a certain RPM.

Either way I hope you sort it out soon

i have installed about 10 of these cams and they have all worked out great...
    its starts to ping about 4k OR SO

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by uwishuhdmyecotec View Post
    Why is the flow rate table maxing out at 42 lb/hr when you 60lb injectors?
    oops, i think that is the tune before the actualy tune...o well the setting are all the same just the injectors are 42, and there is a little more timing in this tune thats all.

If your injectors are close but not perfect, ding ding we have a winner. You're riching up too much at WOT and that's causing it.

Quote Originally Posted by richard head View Post
    If your injectors are close but not perfect, ding ding we have a winner. You're riching up too much at WOT and that's causing it.
    No, he said he had a WB and has been between 13.2 and 11's.

I'll be damned. I read the thread earlier and was stumped, then just now i looked at it and it seemed to make perfect sense. I still say lean it a little where he's having problems but if it's the 13.2 where that is then it probably needs to be richer. Im stumped again lol.

cats clogged? clogged injectors? broken valvespring? bent pushrod?

Those are my best guesses in that order. Can you pull plug wires until you find out which one is doing it?