Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How To: CMCV/IMRC Deletion & Tune Modification Information

Senior Tuner

How To: CMCV/IMRC Deletion & Tune Modification Information

Deleting the (Charge Motion Control Valves, aka IMRC - Intake Manifold Runner Controls) can/give you more power above the normal CMCV opening, especially in the higher rpm range, as they do pose a slight restriction, but you will lose some low end power below approx. 2k (nothing really major, and a gear change in the future would keep you from even noticing). There isn't anything "funky" it does to the car, provided you make the proper adjustments in the tune. Also, anytime you add in a PDB (Positive Displacement Blower), they are automatically deleted in those kits anyway.

With that being said, you MUST follow the detailed instructions below when deleting them on the S197 3V Mustangs, as well as any 3V 5.4 truck. The reason for this is when you set the "IMRC Switch" to "Disabled" the pcm thinks they are closed at all times, and you obviously want the "Open" table values to be used.

1: Under Engine, Airflow, General Airflow, change "IMRC Switch" to "Disabled".
    2: Under Engine, Airflow, General Airflow, copy the "Angle (IMRC Open) Torque" table to the "Angle (IMRC Closed) Torque" table.
    3: Under Engine, Airflow, General Airflow, copy the "Angle (IMRC Open) Load" table to "Angle (IMRC Closed) Load" table
    4: Under Engine, Airflow, General Airflow, copy the "Load with failed MAF (IMRC Open)" table to the "Load with failed MAF" table.
    5: Under Engine, Airflow, General Airflow, copy the "MAP at Zero Airmass (Open)" table to the "MAP at Zero Airmass (Closed)" table.
    6: Under Engine, Airflow, General Airflow, copy the "MAP per Airmass (Open)" table to the "MAP per Airmass (Close)" table.
    7: Under Engine, Spark Control, Spark Advance, copy the "Base (IMRC Open)" table to the "Base (IMRC Closed)" table.
    8: Under Engine, Spark Control, Spark Advance, copy the "Base MBT (IMRC Open)" table to the "Base MBT (IMRC Closed)" table.
    9: Under Engine, Spark Control, Spark Advance, add (+) the "Base MBT" table under IMRC Spark to the "MBT Spark" table under Main Spark. To do this, copy this entire table by clicking on the top left cell, right click copy, then do a "Paste Special, Add" into the correct table. Once done, zero out the "Base MBT" table.
    10: Under Engine, Spark Control, Spark Advance, add (+) the "Base" table under IMRC Spark to the "Borderline Knock" table under Main Spark. To do this, copy this entire table by clicking on the top left cell, right click copy, then do a "Paste Special, Add" into the correct table. Once done, zero out the "Base" table.

Edit: FYI, I just found a problem with the software. It doesn't allow negative values on the tables listed for #7 and #8 above. However, I don't think any of the negative values are different between the two tables, just the positives ones only (just glancing at them, tho). Regardless, I'll send in a bug report to support.

I hope this helps!
    Last edited by RWTD; 08-28-2009 at 02:43 AM.
    Formerly known as RWTD

Toys: '22 Tesla Model S Plaid / '20 Chevy Duramax / ?20 Sea-Doo RXT-X (2)

Thanks for the info, i'll be doing this mod soon to my car.

Thanks RWTD!

Senior Tuner
    TTT for all the newbs (sorry, I couldn't resist using that word).
    Formerly known as RWTD

Senior Tuner
    Ttt
    Formerly known as RWTD

thanks for the write-up. i plan on ordering the steeda's in a couple weeks. then its off to the dyno to get this nasty tune dialed.

Advanced Tuner
    is this the same process for the 5.4l trucks?
    1961 C-10 5.3 NV3500

2007 NNBS ECSB 4.8

Senior Tuner
    Yes, and I updated my post above to reflect that.
    Formerly known as RWTD

Tuner in Training
    I'm following this procedure on a 2004 F-150 with a Roush supercharger. I'm using beta 2.23, and I don't see the tables described in steps 3, 7, and 8. Am I missing something??

3: Under Engine, Airflow, General Airflow, copy the "Angle (IMRC Open) Load" table to "Angle (IMRC Closed) Load" table

7: Under Engine, Spark Control, Spark Advance, copy the "Base (IMRC Open)" table to the "Base (IMRC Closed)" table.

8: Under Engine, Spark Control, Spark Advance, copy the "Base MBT (IMRC Open)" table to the "Base MBT (IMRC Closed)" table.

The F150 Roushcharger uses the the IMRC to control boost dump, so don't change it with IMRC deleting in mind - rather change it to control boost coming on at lower throttle positions. Personally, I would not use HP Tuners to program a Roushcharged F150, there are too many tables missing for a good, full and proper Roushcharger tune.
    Having fun!

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by ftsservice View Post
    The F150 Roushcharger uses the the IMRC to control boost dump, so don't change it with IMRC deleting in mind - rather change it to control boost coming on at lower throttle positions. Personally, I would not use HP Tuners to program a Roushcharged F150, there are too many tables missing for a good, full and proper Roushcharger tune.
    Is there any reason that I can't operate the supercharger's bypass valve just using manifold vacuum, like a Radix?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by RWTD View Post

Edit: FYI, I just found a problem with the software. It doesn't allow negative values on the tables listed for #7 and #8 above. However, I don't think any of the negative values are different between the two tables, just the positives ones only (just glancing at them, tho). Regardless, I'll send in a bug report to support.

I hope this helps!
    FYI we can set the limits higher or lower in most cases on a case by case basis, we've done this for several customers over the years, so if you need the limits lowered contact support.

There are simply so many strategies that ford used going through each of them could make weeks so we just do them on a case by case basis.

-Bill
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Potential Tuner

M-9424-463v

Quote Originally Posted by RWTD View Post
    Deleting the (Charge Motion Control Valves, aka IMRC - Intake Manifold Runner Controls) can/give you more power above the normal CMCV opening, especially in the higher rpm range, as they do pose a slight restriction, but you will lose some low end power below approx. 2k (nothing really major, and a gear change in the future would keep you from even noticing). There isn't anything "funky" it does to the car, provided you make the proper adjustments in the tune. Also, anytime you add in a PDB (Positive Displacement Blower), they are automatically deleted in those kits anyway.

With that being said, you MUST follow the detailed instructions below when deleting them on the S197 3V Mustangs, as well as any 3V 5.4 truck. The reason for this is when you set the "IMRC Switch" to "Disabled" the pcm thinks they are closed at all times, and you obviously want the "Open" table values to be used.

1: Under Engine, Airflow, General Airflow, change "IMRC Switch" to "Disabled".
    2: Under Engine, Airflow, General Airflow, copy the "Angle (IMRC Open) Torque" table to the "Angle (IMRC Closed) Torque" table.
    4: Under Engine, Airflow, General Airflow, copy the "Load with failed MAF (IMRC Open)" table to the "Load with failed MAF" table.
    5: Under Engine, Airflow, General Airflow, copy the "MAP at Zero Airmass (Open)" table to the "MAP at Zero Airmass (Closed)" table.
    6: Under Engine, Airflow, General Airflow, copy the "MAP per Airmass (Open)" table to the "MAP per Airmass (Close)" table.
    9: Under Engine, Spark Control, Spark Advance, add (+) the "Base MBT" table under IMRC Spark to the "MBT Spark" table under Main Spark. To do this, copy this entire table by clicking on the top left cell, right click copy, then do a "Paste Special, Add" into the correct table. Once done, zero out the "Base MBT" table.
    10: Under Engine, Spark Control, Spark Advance, add (+) the "Base" table under IMRC Spark to the "Borderline Knock" table under Main Spark. To do this, copy this entire table by clicking on the top left cell, right click copy, then do a "Paste Special, Add" into the correct table. Once done, zero out the "Base" table.

I hope this helps!

Potential Tuner
    Hell HP Tuner, I just bought and installed part m-9424-463v in my 2005 GT Mustang. I noticed that I do not need the CMCV activited. Would I still need to follow steps posted by RWTD to disable CMCV and get rid off the engine light that it's been on since the installment?
    Thank you, Your help is very appreciated.
    Last edited by garcij68; 12-03-2010 at 12:57 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Hi there....

I did all the steps, when i'm starting the car, the RPM goes above 2K and go down, about 2 sec. ( cold start ).
    Last edited by amas; 03-26-2011 at 08:30 PM.

does it seems good on a stock f-150 5.4 2006 ?

Potential Tuner

wtf

I did this to mine and it went to 3k stayed there then 30 secs later the headers turned cherry red

Potential Tuner

same issue

Quote Originally Posted by timmyboy86 View Post
    I did this to mine and it went to 3k stayed there then 30 secs later the headers turned cherry red
    Hey i am having the same issue with my 5.4 2010 f150, how did u solve your issue?

Do you happen to have a write up on how to delete the IMRC's on a 2015 Mustang Gt

Advanced Tuner
    Been doing a lot of searching on here for boss or cobra jet installs and how they disabled the mapped points accociated with the runners being closed and can’t find a clear cut way to do it to where it drivers as should. I know the vct has to be tuned to make it drive like stock drivability. Just tying to figure out