Thread: SD versatility?

SD versatility?

I have a 2000 T/A, stock everything except lid, subframe connectors, exhaust cutout and tb bypass. I'm running in SD mode because I don't want to tear the engine apart bc I want to see how well I can do with a stocker engine/tranny on just a tune (want to run a 12.5 with it ).

Anyway, the car is going to see some highway miles in the weeks to come and I wanted to share some ideas about the VE table and how to tune the car for versatility under changing elevation/DA conditions. I know this is why the factory put the MAF in there in the first place, but it seemed to me like with a little thought in the right place I could make a versatile VE curve that would work from about 7500 DA to sea level.

Right now, it shouldn't typically be higher than about 1000 or 1500 ft so I know she's going to run lean when I take her down to houston - so my tune is a little rich and I plan on it staying that way. My idea was that, going up to Lubbock to see my family, where elevation is about 5500 ft and DA might occasionally hit 7500 the car would probably run rich and lean itself out with the STFT's. This sound about right? How much of a difference should it make on a SD car what the current DA is?

any thoughts?

Good luck, not going to do it on a 2000 cal. Put the MAF back on the car. It will do much better than SD and you will not need to keep changing it.
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Interesting thought. I don't actually have one anymore... I took it off because it was broken. I guess I don't HAVE to drive it on the highway far from here but I mean it isn't necessary to drag race it when it goes... I'm just wondering, it would play off richer at higher altitudes and leaner at low, right? and the stft's should take care of the non-wot time so shouldn't it be okay?

Yeah, the trims will take care of it. You biggest issue will be the temperature swings.
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

it still should not matter. the sd format takes a baro reading at startup and adjusts accordingly if i am correct. elevation should play a minute issue with a sd tune.

...and I quote...

Quote Originally Posted by WS6FirebirdTA00 View Post
    You biggest issue will be the temperature swings.