Thread: "check gas cap", can it be turned off

Advanced Tuner

"check gas cap", can it be turned off

a few weeks after having finished a quite hefty head/cam/intake mod on a customer car he is plagued with that dreaded "check gas cap" message and at same time when it comes on a bank1 and bank2 lean DTC shows up as well. He went to the dealer as there was a recall out for 2005 C6 and got a new gas cap, but message still pops up every now end then. Lines, fittings, etc. all check out.

Can I turn that stupid message off with HPtuner so that DTC and text message will disappear without any hidden issues?
    Last edited by ccrp; 11-09-2008 at 02:22 PM.

If it is going on, there must be an issue with something. There can be small evap leaks elsewhere.
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Advanced Tuner
    well I know, but having spend many hundreds of $ at the dealers for finding that small leak and not finding anything wrong he is getting annoyed by it. He really doesn't want to take whole car apart and replace the whole EVAP system bit by bit for nothing.

who cares about a small leak somewhere in the EVAP anyway, that's why he asked if it can be turned off without any negative side effects

I mean, I would care, but if he doesn't then that is fine
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Advanced Tuner
    Yes it can be turned off, you need the code. Then go into the tune under the engine diagnostic tab, then under the DTC tab you need to find the code. Then take the chck out of the box and turn the 1-MIL column to either 2-MIL so the code will report to the ECM or 3-No code and it will not report to the ECM at all I believe.

Now understand that can be serious and detrimental reprecussions form turning codes off so do this at yours and or customers own risk, and should only be done on off-road vehicles.

Advanced Tuner
    whats the code? 06 c6, no evap installed...still getting check gas cap message.

All modern vehicles have an EVAP system installed from the factory. If this is a dedicated track car or C6 drivetrain swap into a custom vehicle, that may explain.

EVAP related DTCs to check:
    • P0442
    • P0446
    • P0449
    • P0451
    • P0454
    • P0496
    If this IS a 2006 Corvette that is driven on the street, you need to have the EVAP system repaired as necessary.

My car does that sometimes too. I have not sign any codes when it does it.
    1971 Corvette-LS3 swap with custom cam. Stainless headers and sheet metal intake built by the owner. 442rwhp.

2007 STS-V-Billet Precision 67mm turbo swap. 563rwhp@15psi.

1991 Camaro-6.0 swap with LS6 heads and custom cam. Headers and other swap bits fabricated by myself (wife's car)

Advanced Tuner
    The only thing that would link an EVAP leak and lean codes would be the canister purge valve being stuck open causing a vacuum leak. Try a new purge solenoid.
    1997 Trans Am WS6 - LS1 swap - TR224 - Pacesetter Longtubes - Yank SS3600
    - 3.42 Moser 12 bolt - Wilwood Brakes - HP Tuners tuned - P1SC-1 Procharger