Thread: Used Speedometer Gear Ratio Tool, but I still have issues

Tuner in Training

Used Speedometer Gear Ratio Tool, but I still have issues

I am working on a car with 3.69 gears. It has a 38-tooth reluctor wheel (so says Intense) and an ATI 3000 stall TCC. The car had an SRC module in it, but it was getting a P1811 code and I decided to just code the PCM for the gears instead of "tricking" it. I used the Auto scaler in HPT. I put the stock tire size and 4.11 in for the gear ratio and hit "commit". Uploaded the changes and started driving the car around.

The speedometer seems to be reading faster than it should (I had no way to prove it) and the TCC locks and unlocks badly in 3rd and 4th gear. I scanned the car and the gear ratio came in at 1.000 in 3rd gear.

Here is a screenshot of the Speedometer gear ration page:

Any ideas or help?
    Last edited by DuBob; 11-22-2008 at 10:19 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Went driving around some more......car set P1811. It did this with the SRC as well. Speedo is definitely off, I came across one of the police dept radar speed check points and it said I was going 28-29 when the car's speedo said I was going closer to 35mph. When I'm going 55mph, it says I'm doing 70+.

So I'm at a loss here. I'm thinking about re-installing the SRC and deleting the P1811 code. This is a brand new tranny by Intense Racing with all new sensors....what a PITA!

Tuner
    Bob, you might ignore my last pm in part. Prematurely I thought it was 1811 I was fighting, but it was actually P1810 which is a tfp code which did have to due with my rewire. Anyways, heres something to consider. Did you relearn the TAPS before installing new tranny? The TAPS is the trans adapt pressures. If the previous trans was going south, then the adapts are set to a very high or max line pressure. I always reset the taps on any trans r&r. I would still delete 1811 for a test drive then contact Intense or visit www.3800pro.com since that is there site.
    2000 GTP- S2X, diamond forged 9.5:1, balanced, Lucas 42.5#, GenV w/N*, stage 3 heads, custom PCM, ZZP SS IC, TOGS, MPS 3.0, Intensified 3.69's tranny - low 12's!!!!

Tuner in Training
    I'd like to see what I need to do to get the speedometer accurate again first.....then see if the issue I'm seeing with the TCC lock/unlock can be fixed.....maybe the apply pressure needs to be updated for the ATI 3000 stall?

The car sat for almost a month with the battery unplugged, so the TAPS cleared itself, but I did have the SRC on it and then removed it......I'll try clearing the TAPS though, it can't hurt anything.

Tuner in Training
    Update......talked to Intense and they said that there's a 38-tooth reluctor wheel installed.

Anyone know what I should do differently with HPTuners? Do I change the drive sprocket ratio to .892?

What is the stock reluctor wheel tooth count?

Russ Kemp

Tuner in Training
    Stock is 30-teeth.

I had a PM all ready to send to you Russ, but it said your inbox was full.

Tuner in Training
    Bump for any help?

Change the Rev-Trans field to 9.247.

Russ Kemp
    Last edited by Russ K; 11-21-2008 at 11:05 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ K View Post
    Change the Rev-Trans field to 9.247.

Russ Kemp
    I'll try that and let you know what I find.

Intense said that won't be able to get it right with HPTuners......something about HPTuners not seeing a specific TCC table.

The owner is supposed to pick up this car next weekend, so I'm down to the wire with trying to figure it out. So any help will be greatly appreciated.

Tuner in Training
    Alright Russ,
    I changed Rev-Trans to 9.247 and it appears like the TCC is acting better on lockup and not surging anymore, but I didn't give it a thorough drive.

Speedometer is still off by the same amount though.

Here's an updated pic of the settings the car is running:

Is our only option to go back to a 30-tooth reluctor and tune the PCM or use the Intense SRC again?

What's the point of running a 38-tooth reluctor if you can tune for it.

Do we need to get a hidden table added to make this work?

I see that changing the Rev-Trans also throws off the calculated tire dia & the calculated gear ratio.

Starting from a stock shift speed, TCC lock up speed & speedo table file, change the gear ratio to a 5.2 as shown. Note that the calculated tire dia is now larger than stock, because the Trans/Revs/Mile field is now maxed out. You will need to multiply all the shift speed & TCC tables by 1.05 in order for the actual & commanded shift speeds to match.

This would of been much easier if the stock reluctor was used!

Russ Kemp

Tuner in Training
    Russ,
    Would we get better results if I installed a 30-tooth (stock) reluctor? If it is not too difficult, I may look into it if we'll be better off.

Are those bottom 4 fields editable?
    Central TEXAS Sleeper
    Experimental Physicist

Current:
    1964 Riviera (4.1L Buick Turbo6, 4L80E, L67 PCM)
    2012 Hyundai Genesis Sedan (3.8 GDI, 8spd Aisin)
    1998 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 (454, 4L80E)
    SOLD:
    1970 Riviera
    1965 Riviera GS (465 Super Wildcat, SP400) #'s Matching
    1967 Skylark Deluxe
    1997.5 Regal GS