Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Wideband Accuracy: Facts & Issues

any word?
    Photos
    320 rwhp/340 ft-lb
    1/4 mile: 13.33 @ 105 mph

Tuner in Training
    Well I got the wideband. The sensor has no serial number, or model number on it. So I have no way to know for sure if it is the NTK sensor. The biggest problem is its reading 1+ point leaner then both the dyno wideband and my Innovate wideband. I am not sure I trust it. I leaned out my engine till the wideband read about 12.8. The old widebands both read about 13.8. It made no more power then when I backed it back down. I guess I should find a dyno with an AFM1000 and do a comparision..

Well dadgum.......Did you calibrate it? Think NGK recommends up to 45 minutes in free area.
    Steve

2007 GMC Canyon Z71-4x4 | 3.7 I5-Auto | 4" Skyjacker suspension lift | 3" Performance Accessories body lift | 33x11.5x17 tires (going 35x12.5x17) | 3.73 gears | 57 K&N | BPi VS | AMS EaAU 6081 | SSK MAF Adapter | NGK AFX w/ NTK WBO2 | AMSoil fluids

Quote Originally Posted by proggod View Post
    Well I got the wideband. The sensor has no serial number, or model number on it. So I have no way to know for sure if it is the NTK sensor. The biggest problem is its reading 1+ point leaner then both the dyno wideband and my Innovate wideband. I am not sure I trust it. I leaned out my engine till the wideband read about 12.8. The old widebands both read about 13.8. It made no more power then when I backed it back down. I guess I should find a dyno with an AFM1000 and do a comparision..
    what does it look like? u can tell just by looking at it if its the NGK sensor.
    Photos
    320 rwhp/340 ft-lb

I also have an email into NGK about it.
    Steve

2007 GMC Canyon Z71-4x4 | 3.7 I5-Auto | 4" Skyjacker suspension lift | 3" Performance Accessories body lift | 33x11.5x17 tires (going 35x12.5x17) | 3.73 gears | 57 K&N | BPi VS | AMS EaAU 6081 | SSK MAF Adapter | NGK AFX w/ NTK WBO2 | AMSoil fluids

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by jackedupcanyon View Post
    Well dadgum.......Did you calibrate it? Think NGK recommends up to 45 minutes in free area.
    Yes let it calibrate for about that.

As for what it looks like, it looks similiar to the LC1 sensor. You have a picture of a NTK sensor I can compare.

Quote Originally Posted by proggod View Post
    Yes let it calibrate for about that.

As for what it looks like, it looks similiar to the LC1 sensor. You have a picture of a NTK sensor I can compare.

Photos
    320 rwhp/340 ft-lb

NTK image is on the left. Bosch image is on the right. Looks like the NTK is engraved at the top in both my and Boomer's picture. Proggod, guessing hte sensor you received did not have any engravings on it? Still have not heard back on the email I sent into NGK. Guess you would think it is a holiday or something....
    Steve

Per email response from NGK:

"Right now the AFX only comes with the Bosch sensor. The only way a
    retailer would have them with the NTK is if they are opening it and
    replacing the NTK with the Bosch. The AFX is compatible with the NTK and
    we sell the NTK as the replacement sensor as part number 24302 Hope this
    helps, thank you.

PS. In the next few months once current inventory runs out we will be
    supplying the AFX with the NTK sensor and the price will most likely
    increase $20-30 because of the cost of the NTK."
    Steve

Tuner in Training

helps, thank you.

Ya i think it got swindled, its the bosch sensor. I suppose I'll have to buy the sensor separately. Unfortunately my-co driver for a 3 hour endurance race totaled my race car on the 3rd lap he ever had in the car. So I won't be doing alot of testing in that car

Senior Tuner

helps, thank you.

Uhhhh, you need to tell NGK to send you an NTK sensor! They have put out deceptive advertising on their product, including the instructional manual, which clearly shows the part # for an NTK sensor! That's BS!
    Formerly known as RWTD

Toys: '22 Tesla Model S Plaid / '20 Chevy Duramax / ?20 Sea-Doo RXT-X (2)

Updated email from NGK:

"As far as I know the packaging will stay the same and there will not be any announcements on this.

Last I heard the price will definitely go up around $20-30 because the NTK sensor costs about $100 more than the Bosch so you can see it’ll be a great deal. The price change will be the thing to look for. I talked to our product department about time frame and they determined that we have enough Bosch sensors left to last at least 7-8 more months before they run out and then begin supplying the NTK.

If that’s longer than you guys want to wait I would suggest two options. One is buying the AFX off Ebay, which is the cheapest I have seen it, and then selling the Bosch sensor. You should be able to sell it easily for $50-60. Then buy an NTK sensor which is around $160

Or better yet just use the Bosch sensor until it fails and then when needed upgrade to the NTK. There really isn’t much of an advantage with the NTK unless you run leaded race fuel, which is where the Bosch sensor dies rather quickly compared to the NTK."
    Steve

Tuner in Training
    Interesting that an NGK rep is stating the only advantage of the NTK sensor over the Bosch unit is its ability to handle race fuel
    New - 08 C6 Z06 - intake only - 478whp/446wtq
    RIP- 08 C6 6spd - 480whp/441wtq - Bolt-ons/Cam

I know....but not any old rep. This guy is a Technical Support Representative in the Aftermarket Division of NGK Spark Plugs ( U.S.A.), INC.
    Last edited by jackedupcanyon; 12-02-2008 at 12:48 PM.
    Steve

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 1.8t View Post
    Interesting that an NGK rep is stating the only advantage of the NTK sensor over the Bosch unit is its ability to handle race fuel
    Well leaded, which most of us don't run.. would be nice to have both sensors and check the readings..

Sells the AFX with NTK sensor.

http://www.bmotorsports.com/shop/pro...roducts_id/582

(Edit: Although this is cheaper than buying seperate, I just noticed that you don't get the Bosch sensor doing it this way. For the $35 price difference, I'd rather buy them seperate and still have the LSU sensor. They do have the NTK sensor as cheap as I've seen it at $147, plus they have sensors with the right plug for my dyno.)
    Last edited by Bluecat; 12-03-2008 at 01:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluecat View Post
    Sells the AFX with NTK sensor.

http://www.bmotorsports.com/shop/pro...roducts_id/582

(Edit: Although this is cheaper than buying seperate, I just noticed that you don't get the Bosch sensor doing it this way. For the $35 price difference, I'd rather buy them seperate and still have the LSU sensor. They do have the NTK sensor as cheap as I've seen it at $147, plus they have sensors with the right plug for my dyno.)
    Nice! did they just update this? cause i dont think it was always available with the upgraded sensor...
    Photos
    320 rwhp/340 ft-lb

actually, it sounds like the kit would come with BOTH the standard sensor and the NTK sensor.....what do you guys think?

heres what it says at the bottem of the page from the upgraded sensor link ($374.98)

This product contains the following items:
    NGK / NTK Wideband O2 Sensor ( UEGO ) for NGK Powerdex AFX, OEM replacement & other wideband systems - NGK PN 24302 » 1 x NGK / NTK Wideband O2 Sensor ( UEGO ) for NGK Powerdex AFX, OEM replacement & other wideband systems - NGK PN 24302
    Part # SNSR-01010 $147.99

NGK Powerdex AFX - Air Fuel Ratio Monitor Kit - Wideband O2 - PN 91101 - w/ Standard Sensor » 1 x NGK Powerdex AFX - Air Fuel Ratio Monitor Kit - Wideband O2 - PN 91101 - w/ Standard Sensor
    Part # SNSR-01000 $259.97

Cost of separate parts: $407.96
    You save $32.98
    Photos
    320 rwhp/340 ft-lb

email i just received from Ballenger Motorsports. i wanted to make sure again because of the way it was worded in my above quote.

Jim,

The AFX wide band kit with the upgraded NTK sensor only comes with the NTK sensor and NOT the Bosch LSU sensor. The kit is normally sold with the Bosch sensor and sold by other vendors with just the Bosch sensor but we had a large number of customers who wanted the controller with the NTK sensor so we decided to offer an option where we remove the Bosch sensor and add the NTK sensor. We just adjusted the pricing on the sensors themselves and correspondingly changed the price of this kit today so you should find a slightly lower cost.

Let me know if you have any questions or comments,
    Last edited by boomer; 12-04-2008 at 10:04 PM.
    Photos
    320 rwhp/340 ft-lb

So, there's no need for the monitor is there if you have the HP Tuner software...right?