Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toyota Tundra 5.7

Toyota Tundra 5.7

There are no good Tundra solutions currently and with the TRD supercharger kits available using the 1900TVS blowers from magnuson, we need some solution. It could be a BIG money maker as this new truck is one of the most popular trucks available.

Look into it and see if it is feasible, it would make a lot of us very happy

I'll talk to my tuner community but I have heard NOTHING on any Toyo solutions at all. Not much market for it compared to GM and Ford.

If TRD is selling kits for SC's they ~should~ be selling appropriate PCM tune upgrades like Ford does through Roush.

They do sell it "tuned" as part of the kit. It is a totally bull crap ultra safe tune though with AF in the very low 11's at WOT on a loaded mustang dyno. There is probably 50 horsepower left on the table by scrubbing the tune and more with headers and exhaust work and the correct tune. I would love to get my hands on something for these guys.

11's are safe with a SC, you won't grab massive hp with leaning out a little bit, but the risk of someone doing something stupid goes up pretty high when it is closer to the edge and something goes amis. Some people won't get out of the gas when it is pinging like crazy on WOT..... So they err on the ultra safe side and dump fuel. Gotta design for the "worst case scenario"... Know that all too well.

And 11's keep the cats cool too, which is very important to keep them from melting.

Agreed, something should be offered out there, but the sales of a Tundra 4.7 and 5.7 aren't a candle to that of only just the 5.3L Chevy, considering GM has a 10 year head start, and it is a bit harder to hack into a Toyo over a GM where there is many many years of experience.

Maybe swap in a GM PCM and go that route? Are emissions required? Not sure if a GM PCM will accept a Toyo VIN. But make an adapter harness and put in a 0411 PCM or a newer one. Just a thought!

Quote Originally Posted by n0dih View Post
    11's are safe with a SC, you won't grab massive hp with leaning out a little bit, but the risk of someone doing something stupid goes up pretty high when it is closer to the edge and something goes amis. Some people won't get out of the gas when it is pinging like crazy on WOT..... So they err on the ultra safe side and dump fuel. Gotta design for the "worst case scenario"... Know that all too well.

And 11's keep the cats cool too, which is very important to keep them from melting.

Agreed, something should be offered out there, but the sales of a Tundra 4.7 and 5.7 aren't a candle to that of only just the 5.3L Chevy, considering GM has a 10 year head start, and it is a bit harder to hack into a Toyo over a GM where there is many many years of experience.

Maybe swap in a GM PCM and go that route? Are emissions required? Not sure if a GM PCM will accept a Toyo VIN. But make an adapter harness and put in a 0411 PCM or a newer one. Just a thought!
    I didnt think about that. Wonder if speartech can setup something for me. Go around the problem all together. I guess the bigger problem is that if the AF is in the low 11's, we through headers and a catback on the truck it is going to make it too lean and be on that edge. No so concerned about where it is now, more concerned about other mods and what it is going to do. Agreed that Toyota is a small part of the market. No doubt far more chevy and dodge trucks are being modded. I would take the dodge software in a hearbeat over the toyo. Just thought I would plant a seed

Tuner
    I have done several of these trucks with huge HP and fuel mileage improvements. Base tune they are very rich and timing is choked back.
    I use a Unichip PnP and custome tune it on the dyno. The only problems is you can't make changes to the tune unless your a unichip tuner.

Tuner
    The best thing ive used for these are the MapEcu2 they control fuel timing closed loop control of the specific type of 02 sensors and tunability for forced induction. Its a much better option when fitting a blower then stock trd computer which is crap imo. Anyone can tune it extremley effective www.mapecu.com

Potential Tuner

Arrow try Cobb

try Cobb tuning, now that they have the GTR finished and the Mazda stuff dun, they are suposed to be working on the toyota stuff. jump on there forum and ask John.
    HGD!

I too am looking for tuning software for my Tundra. Looking at the Tundra forums, there are alot of people also looking for a good solution. There is no dought that HP Tuners would be the best answer for the Tundra market. So what do you say? Are there any plans on the books to do something in the Tundra market?
    2002 WS6 TA, 408, L92 heads, Holley Modular High Ram, 120# injectors, Fast 92mm tb, 9.5:1 compression with Ross Pistons, built 4L80E with T-Brake, Circle D 4C Billet 245mm stall, Moser 9" with 3.70 gears. Front mounted GT-88 with Front Mount Intercooler, 3BarSD tuning by me.
    DIY Dual Walbro 340 fuel pumps.

I would recommend emailing bill at hptuners.com and POLITELY request what it is you want. Nothing hurts this industry more than trying to be pushy on the guys trying to bring you a tuning solution (some people got pushy a while back and really ticked off Chris, Keith and Bill, not good to do....).

Just advise to do. Bill watches. You do have to consider too, the Tundra market that actually WANTS to tune is relatively small compared to the GM and Ford market, even Dodge. And almost nothing is out there for Dodge yet. So it may be some time coming. Working on this stuff, especially the stuff from the Japanese market is much harder.
    Last edited by Bill@HPTuners; 02-18-2009 at 04:15 PM.

I will do that.
    2002 WS6 TA, 408, L92 heads, Holley Modular High Ram, 120# injectors, Fast 92mm tb, 9.5:1 compression with Ross Pistons, built 4L80E with T-Brake, Circle D 4C Billet 245mm stall, Moser 9" with 3.70 gears. Front mounted GT-88 with Front Mount Intercooler, 3BarSD tuning by me.

Potential Tuner
    consider this. GM market is fixin to hit the fence and toyota market share is rising rapidly, especially in south central U.S. due to tundra plant in San Antonio. Oh and WTF was Ford thinking with that 6.oL DI piece of &#!t. They basically hung themselves.
    2zz-ge N/A

Ford is coming out with a FORD diesel, not a International/Navistar diesel (the 6.9/7.3/6.0). Rumors are it will be worthy....

Still see VERY few Toyota trucks on the road compared to GM. Probably 1 for every 5-6 at LEAST. Still very small in the truck market. And far less with the 5.7L. Maybe it will come to pass one day, but not for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by dwebb View Post
    consider this. GM market is fixin to hit the fence and toyota market share is rising rapidly, especially in south central U.S. due to tundra plant in San Antonio. Oh and WTF was Ford thinking with that 6.oL DI piece of &#!t. They basically hung themselves.

Ford is coming out with a FORD diesel, not a International/Navistar diesel (the 6.9/7.3/6.0). Rumors are it will be worthy....

Still see VERY few Toyota trucks on the road compared to GM. Probably 1 for every 5-6 at LEAST. Still very small in the truck market. And far less with the 5.7L. Maybe it will come to pass one day, but not for a while.
    Not here in the south. There is probably a 50/50 as far as half ton trucks go. We are very big into large vehicals down here. The oil companies are also finding Tundras in their fleets now. Down here you will find the Tundras are out selling the Dodge half tons (and even 3/4 tons) right now. The only thing that is hurting Toyota's Tundra right now is they have now diesel option or a heavier truck (three quarter to one ton). Ford, GM and Dodge have that part of the market locked up for now, and that is why you see more new GM and new Ford on the road then compared to the Tundra. If you only look at the Half Tons, I bet you will see the Tundra's sales are right there with the GM and Ford half ton sales.

Give it time, someone will notice us Tundra people and they will corner the Tundra market. I just wish it was HP Tuners.

Far less with the 5.7? I was wondering were all the small engine Tundras were going. Here you would have to special order a Tundra with anything other then the 5.7. Well, I guess that just goes to show us Southerners do not believe in this man made global BS. I bet you see more Hybrids on the rode then we do.

Yup, lots of hybrids around. Too many tree huggers......

Everyone tells me I should buy one.... Not a chance.... not the answer for me....

I would guess 1 in 4 to maybe 2 in 4 Tundras seen is a 4.7L, that is the base engine.

Autozone lists between 20-30% of them in Tundras are 4.7L's, so maybe due to the higher gas prices here people are getting the smaller engine. Looked at Tundra 2WD (more are 4.7L) and 4WD (more are 5.7L) on Autozone.com. It gives breakouts of % when you add a vehicle. I only looked at 2008.
    Last edited by n0dih; 04-26-2009 at 01:53 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Getting into Toyota will be near historic. Not saying it can't be done, but it's gonna take alot more $$ and R&D than anything else out there. I've heard flash and processor are combined. Don't know the truth in that though.

Overseas, Toyota diesels are remappable, but I'm unsure as to what ecm they are using.

If there is nothing "special" on the 5.7L Toyo, swap to a LS1 or LS2 PCM. Then you are tuneable....

Dealer might not like it if you forget to swap back when you come in....

If there is nothing "special" on the 5.7L Toyo, swap to a LS1 or LS2 PCM. Then you are tuneable....

Dealer might not like it if you forget to swap back when you come in....

If this was possible, it would realy be a sweet mode. But I am afraid it is not possible. I am just going to wait and see who wants my buisness. I will be buying the first tuning product that comes out. I am sure it is in the works some were, its just a matter of time. (At least I hope it is in the works )

What year truck do you have?