Thread: "cleaing up" a TransGo HD2

Question "cleaing up" a TransGo HD2

I am installing a TransGo HD-2 into my 4L80 that I am building. Ive searched but cant find a definitive answer to my question:

Can I install the small blue spring (I.e: the 'very firm' or level 2 firmness) and then just down-tune the 1>2 upshift pressure, since I've heard the 1-2 is too firm and the rest are just right or near-just right. I dont want to basically get it all together and find out the thing sucks and makes passengers unhappy and have to go change that spring out to the big blue spring. haha

Thanks!

I put the kit in my 4L65e with all Sonnax billets. I stayed away from all the "race extras" in the kit except one washer in the accumulator. At stock pressures it was chirping tires and snapping necks 1-2. I have dropped the 1-2 pressure to 30% of what was there to avoid the tire chirping.....still notice little lunk at low speed but it is liveable. I have heard other opinions on the washers from leave them all out, just the stiffer spring all the way up to add all the washers. I think it is a matter of each to their own. I think there probably is a big difference in my 1-2 billet and corvette servo (which I hear is significantly milder), so even what you mix and match with will net a difference with the same kit choices I believe.
    2010 Avalanche 4WD; AES 390; Mast LS3 heads; VVT Cam; ported TVS2300; Overdrive 8 rib pulleys; 2.7 snout pulley; ID1000; LS3 TB; WB 450; Twin MM cans; built 6L80; CircleD Triple Disk, CSR flexplate; Trucool 40K; Aeroforce Dual; AFX

Dont have any washers in the 4L80E kit? I just glanced over the kit and it looks like it only has one that goes on the boost valve. The only two options they really give are something like use a big blue spring for firmer shifts and use the smaller blue spring for 'even firmer' shifts. My fears are: A) that the 'firmer' wont be firm enough and Id have to go back in to change the spring -or- B) The 'even firmer' setting would be too firm and that I would have to go in and change the spring as well. You did answer my question to an extent about down-tuning the pressure. But Im still curious as to 'how much' can I downtune it and how exactly is 'even firmer'/small spring.

I think you should try a post over at Perf Trucks or LS1 Trucks..there are many 4L80 owners with the kit experience that could give you more specific results or experiences. I agree with your approach though....get it close as possible mechanically before you have to resort to tuning too much out.....a month later and I am still toying with mine. Good luck
    2010 Avalanche 4WD; AES 390; Mast LS3 heads; VVT Cam; ported TVS2300; Overdrive 8 rib pulleys; 2.7 snout pulley; ID1000; LS3 TB; WB 450; Twin MM cans; built 6L80; CircleD Triple Disk, CSR flexplate; Trucool 40K; Aeroforce Dual; AFX

Thanks Seven Ends, I 'preciate it. I figured the "mechanical first, electronic second" approach would be more logical. I'd hate to have to end up having a ridiculous base shift pressure table for the 1>2 shift like:

0,0,0,1,3,5,6,9,9,12...etc from using a spring that gives too much pressure
    or

having 46,49,50,53,54,55,56...etc from not using a spring that doesn't build enough pressure. Either way the force motor would be like 'damn dude, wtf!' LOL

Thanks though. Will post over @ perf trucks.

Check a posting by KySilverado who is rebuilding a 4L80 complete with posted pics. Included is a HD2 kit. He states he went light on shift "this time".....might be worth a read and possibly a PM since he was gathering info for a time before undertaking the project.