Thread: 2008 TBSS Tune of mine

Senior Tuner

2008 TBSS Tune of mine

This was what we ended up with doing a 2008 2WD TBSS with IEATSRT8 intake.

This 2008 was a lot touchier about timing than the 2007/2006. It really depends on IAT timing reduction, might be an effect of the CAI but I think it goes deeper than that. If I had more time with it I would be able to make a much more refined tune but this is pretty damn good.

First I started just moding the stock 2008 tune with what worked on the 2007 and could not get rid of KR. After a lot of trial and error I ended up with using a version of the superchips 2008 tune as the base and then fixed all the problems the superchips tune has while also adding in my tweaks for drivability and response.

It runs pretty damn good.

Potential Tuner
    Thank you BBA. I have be waiting in anticipation for this.

Tuner

Tune for 08 tbss

I used a tweaked version of your 07 tune... it removed launch sprk and reduce IAT spark. I smoothed out the high octane table and reduced timing in areas that had some KR. Seemed to be ok. I noticed also you had PE rpm at 2300 for the 08 tune but 1000 for the 07. Why?? I am trying the new 08 tune to compare times on my G-tech. Thanks for you generosity in tuning.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by FASSTRUK View Post
    I used a tweaked version of your 07 tune... it removed launch sprk and reduce IAT spark. I smoothed out the high octane table and reduced timing in areas that had some KR. Seemed to be ok. I noticed also you had PE rpm at 2300 for the 08 tune but 1000 for the 07. Why?? I am trying the new 08 tune to compare times on my G-tech. Thanks for you generosity in tuning.

Actually, if I had more time to spend on it I would have noticed that and cahnged it, but we were so occupied with timing and KR and running out of time to mess with it I did not get around to it. I don't think it makes a noticeable difference anyway.

One thing also, there is a dip in the PE curve at low RPM's, flattenning that out may improve off the line torque, so give it a shot.

Potential Tuner
    Thank you BBA. Hopefully this will get rid of the odd idle / KR problems my tune was giving me.

Potential Tuner
    Just pulled this out to, BBA...I had great luck with that one for the 07 I got from you...hardly any tweaking to get it dialed in.

Thanks!

[edit] Holy cow, 1.5 years and I've never posted here before? I'm a total leech!

Tuner in Training
    Wonder how much would need to change on an AWD.

Potential Tuner
    I'll be putting in my Ieat intake tonight and uploading this and bringing it down a little for the 91 California water i have to run.

Tuner in Training
    Let me know how easy the intake was to put on. I am interested in ordering one and also attempting to modify this tune for an AWD.

Potential Tuner
    The intake is great . Very easy to install. Nice fit and finish to it.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikyo View Post
    Wonder how much would need to change on an AWD.
    Shouldn't have to change anything.

Of course, with AWD, if shifting is too hard for your taste, then just add a little more trans TM in the load range (log calc'd torque) where it's shifting too hard. (AWD does not break tires loose to absorb shock, the trans has to absorb the shock itself).

Tuner in Training
    I see that you changed the maximum transient fuel mass value, whats the idea behind that?
    2008 Twin turbo TBSS, Precision 6766, 385 LS2, ID2000s

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by jpracing01 View Post
    I see that you changed the maximum transient fuel mass value, whats the idea behind that?
    Because it's the same as accellerator pump shot and GM always tunes it too rich as well as coming in too late, hence the puff of black when you rev the engine. Notice I also set the delays down to make it come in quicker.

It was because GM used PE rates that came in too slow, so they filled the gap with pump shot so that you would not notice too much stumble on tip in, but they got the timing off on that as well, so they set the low flow MAF (in idle flow ranges) off to make it idle richer than needed. It's a mix of stuff to square away...and by no means is it perfected in my 08 tune (although I have the 2007 tune I am running now damn near perfect, especially for tip in throttle).
    Last edited by BBA; 02-15-2009 at 10:36 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    BBA,

You HO table is a lot different than a stock 05 GTO's. Would this work on my car?
    www.outlawpontiacdragseries.com
    Come race with us in MA, PA, and VA!

2005 GTO A4 - Spintech X-pipe with Powerstick mufflers, IAT relocate, Volant, !scoops, !cowlgasket, !skid plate, LM-1, HPT2.0/MPVI Pro USB, 275x40x17 Nitto DR, rolled fenders, Pedders 2985 springs, Britax baby seat with 5 point harness.
    Stock:13.36@104
    Mods in sig:[email protected]

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by PurplePiss View Post
    BBA,

You HO table is a lot different than a stock 05 GTO's. Would this work on my car?
    It would work, but not sure about how well it would work. It's pretty safe taking the values I have from 1000 RPM down and using them, then log for KR and increase high RPM cells as much as you can without KR, then back them all down one or two degrees for safety margin.

Remember, the high octane and low octane tables together make up the final timing while under load (base timing also plays in some). With each flash, the PCM resets and timing starts with the HO table then works its way to the LO table when KR is experienced, so make similar changes to both tables.

Tuner in Training
    I will give this a try in my AWD and see how it does. I am thinking about ordering an intake, but not sure which would be the best to order.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikyo View Post
    I will give this a try in my AWD and see how it does. I am thinking about ordering an intake, but not sure which would be the best to order.
    Everyone likes the IEATSRT8 intake and I have seen some variations on it that look good.