Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Corvette C6 New Dealer Flash Locks ECM! ?

Corvette C6 New Dealer Flash Now Locks ECM! ?

I just read about this-see below.

Has anyone heard about dealers now reflashing your PCM and with locking it?

http://diablosport.com/index.php?nam...&postorder=asc
    Last edited by siffert; 12-09-2008 at 04:41 PM.
    07 Corvette C6 LS2 A6 - 11.74 @ 120.83
    Xcelerator CAI, Corsa Sports Catback, Kooks Headers/Hi Flo Cats, Ported Intake, The Bone Yard HP Tune, Drag Radials

Tuner
    Looks like a corrupt TIS file, wouldnt be the first time
    Chris White
    www.GTOShiftLight.com
    2006 GTO Spice Red A4
    2012 Jeep SRT8
    2013 SRX Custom IPC/BCM/CUE
    2013 XTS4 Custom IPC/BCM/CUE Auto High Beams
    2013 Volt Custom IPC/BCM/Radio

It's more likely people putting the flash in the wrong ECM.
    Put a newer build in an older E38 ECM -- toast.

I haven't had or seen any issues with the right software in the right hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by Programmer View Post
    It's more likely people putting the flash in the wrong ECM. Put a newer build in an older E38 ECM -- toast.

I haven't had or seen any issues with the right software in the right hardware.
    ??? We are not talking toast here. That guy's ECM was not toast and claimed it ran fine when he left the dealer, he just could not open it with his Diablo.
    Last edited by siffert; 12-12-2008 at 08:32 PM.
    Xcelerator CAI, Corsa Sports Catback, Kooks Headers/Hi Flo Cats, Ported Intake, The Bone Yard HP Tune, Drag Radials

Senior Tuner
    Look at the third and fifth posts down in that link. Mike Litsch with Diablosport is saying that GM is locking their E38 ECMs. Siffert just wants to verifty this information to be true.

If this is true it looks like the day of modding and tuning our cars is coming to an end unless HP Tuner can figure a way to get around GMs locked ECMs.

we haven't seen it yet, typically TIS cannot rewrite the seed/key or other protected areas.
    I count sheep in hex...

Tuner

Locked ECM

Chris,

I'm glad that you jumped in be cause I still would like to use the dealer service for a few things.

If GM locked all the new cars, it would be a cold day in hell before I'd take my car in for anything! That being if they lock everything being brought back in for service.

Please keep us informed.

If this did come to pass, it would just add to the cost of tuning because someone out there would start selling aftermarket PCMs. That's free enterprise.

Enough Said by the gruppy od tuner!

Bill
    Warp 10 Always

Quote Originally Posted by Chris@HPTuners View Post
    we haven't seen it yet, typically TIS cannot rewrite the seed/key or other protected areas.
    Hi...could you please explain in newbie tuner words just what:
    1. TIS means
    2. typically TIS cannot rewrite the seed/key or other protected areas
    means.

Quote Originally Posted by siffert View Post
    Hi...could you please explain in newbie tuner words just what:
    1. TIS means
    2. typically TIS cannot rewrite the seed/key or other protected areas
    means.
    Check this:

http://www.oemtools.com/home/gmscann...ogramming.html

Basically TIS (also named TIS2000) is the software system which contains all the stock calibrations, technical boletins, etc from GM so that OEM dealers and big workshops keep updated (it consists of several DVDs, a hardware key and is updated constantly).

But in order to program/update a vehicle getting that stock file, you need a flash device; Tech2 is probably the most popular scanner and reprogramming device for GM vehicles. In Tech2 you enter the VIN or let it pull from the PCM, go back to TIS and it will provide the calibration (old or updated, you choose) to the Tech2, then you go back and flash the vehicle.

Usually you'll just see in this forums "Tech2 flashing stock file ..." but at the same time they're refering to the TIS2000 system as well because Tech2 has a limited memory so you need to get a flash file from TIS everytime.

You can have access to a TIS web based system just to check if you vehicle has an updated calibration (you need to enter your VIN). You can't pull the stock calibration from there:

http://tis2web.service.gm.com/tis2web

If you see an updated calibration for your vehicle (usually they fix software/hardware issues) then you can go to your OEM dealer/workshop and ask for that update to be flashed (might have a cost, depends of your warranty).

Good luck!

Thanks much for the explanation of my #1 question! I also found out TIS stands for Techline Information System. Though at this time I am worried about going to the dealer for an updated calibration and getting my ecm locked up.

Now I need to understand the meaning of what "rewriting the seed/key or or other protected areas" is all about.

Now I need to understand the meaning of what "rewriting the seed/key or or other protected areas" is all about.
    That's pure security programming for microcontrolling devices; we'll need several years of control theory and micro programming curses to get it. If all vehicles start to be locked, I'm sure HPTuners staff will find the way to unlock them or bypass the security by electronics means: a direct reading/writing to flash memories for example. The most important for me is the mapping of parameters/tables for every ECU class, the logic behind it that you learn in the forums: that's gold.

Just my 2 cents.

The ZR1 is not locked. Don't ask how I know. LOL It's a standard E67 ECM.
    And I just checked TIS online with the VIN and it's the latest OS for the ZR1.

BTW: Alvin has already tuned a couple ZR1's as well...
    Last edited by EC_Tune; 12-12-2008 at 08:29 PM.
    Always Support Our Troops!

Quote Originally Posted by EC_Tune View Post
    The ZR1 is not locked. Don't ask how I know. LOL It's a standard E67 ECM.And I just checked TIS online with the VIN and it's the latest OS for the ZR1. BTW: Alvin has already tuned a couple ZR1's as well...
    Thanks for clearing that up. I also read elsewhere that there is a software fault in the current TIS system used by someone this week, and not due from GM or the dealers locking the ecm.
    Last edited by siffert; 12-13-2008 at 02:42 PM.

I use the TIS system to re-flash probably 2-4 E38s a week to various Corvette vins. I then re-flash them with HP for use in stand alone applications. I have yet to see an issue with locked PCM from TIS flash.

^^^^ There ya go!!
    Always Support Our Troops!

??? We are not talking toast here. That guy's ECM was not toast and claimed it ran fine when he left the dealer, he just could not open it with his Diablo.
    Sorry...had 4 people send me similar info from different forums.

http://forum.efilive.com/showthread....erating+system

We've also seen issues with Diablosport handhelds when reflashing E38's back to 'stock'...toasts the ECM.

I dont think the original guy I quoted in the first post had the same problem
    you are taking about. But I now see what you were talking about with
    "toasted ecm's". So a toast and to you!

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Programmer View Post
    Sorry...had 4 people send me similar info from different forums.

http://forum.efilive.com/showthread....erating+system

We've also seen issues with Diablosport handhelds when reflashing E38's back to 'stock'...toasts the ECM.
    that thread was interesting... i got chewed out because i said ive had problems with the other software in the past....

we have flashed probably 30 e38's in the last month or 2 with TIS and while it is buggy and dosent flash every time we have never had a E38 fail from it...

sounds like it is not intentionally locking them, more a bug.
    I count sheep in hex...

I read this from a Tech on a Corvette Forum regarding the E-38 ecm that is in my 2007 Corvette.

"The ECM firmware contains a counter which tracks how many times it has been flashed. Unless there is documented proof a factory authorized reflash has previously been done by a dealer, the count should be ONE. If it isn't, they know you've been screwing around tuning your ecm. "

Can anybody here verify or deny there is a counter in the ECM? Thanks.
    Last edited by siffert; 02-19-2009 at 01:22 PM.