Thread: Nitrous on forged Internals....

Tuner

Nitrous on forged Internals....

04 Ion Redline/LSJ Im rebuilding right now....

The "big 3":

-Diamond Pistons(cermaic coated tops, teflon coated sides)
    -ARP Head studs
    -Cometic gasket etc. etc.

Goal 350+whp(12 sec. ETs)....been wrecking my brain between this damn TVS and putting together a turbo kit, then I ran across streetdreamz infamous Ion vs Z06 "GOOD" youtube vid again, so much inspiration haha...

How would the LSJ hold up to the occasional 100-shot or so w/forged internals...I mean, GM designed the car to run w/a dry 50 shot on their stage 3 kit. I figured I'd ask over here because I know a few of you have tuned for nitrous. I was thinking of running it dry and leaving my water/meth Injection as is.

The way I feel, anything over 400whp is gonna require extensive work on the LSJ, the TVS CAN get you at 350 but how "effecient" is the key. Putting together a turbo kit would put me out about $3k+ and a lot of work. Idk but Im not putting this motor back together with all this just to stay at 260whp....

What does a stage 3 PCM do when nitrous is activated anyway??
    Last edited by dom1013; 03-07-2009 at 02:37 PM.
    04' Ion Redline - Intense Racing Stage 5 kit - Snow Performance Water/Meth kit - ZZP S3 H/E - Newly Built forged Internal Engine....Being KEPT alive this time via HPTUNERS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xtgT...e=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stTit...eature=channel

My Ion Redline (Yes I am aka StreetDreamz on CSS.net). 150 shot. C16. 2.7 pulley. HP Tuners. SPEC Stage 4 clutch. PaceSetter header. No cat. Custom intke. 100% bone stock inside. Running about 7500rpm and 22 degrees and 19psi in the top end. Read the sidebars. With the right tuning, nitrous will take your LSJ a long way. You won't need forged internals as my car was WELL over 400whp/450ft.lbs. on that set up and I have ran it for MANY hard miles like that. You may want to invest in some nice rod and main bearings though. I'd be more worried about the rods than the pistons though on nitrous.

Also, DO NOT run the nitrous dry. Adding in meth will not add in fuel.....GM's tune adds more fuel when the nitrous is activated.

And take off the Intense Stage 5 kit before your car goes boom.
    RSG Offroad
    Jeeps. Jeeps. And more Jeeps. Oh and Jeeps too.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by dont_blink View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xtgT...e=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stTit...eature=channel

My Ion Redline (Yes I am aka StreetDreamz on CSS.net). 150 shot. C16. 2.7 pulley. HP Tuners. SPEC Stage 4 clutch. PaceSetter header. No cat. Custom intke. 100% bone stock inside. Running about 7500rpm and 22 degrees and 19psi in the top end. Read the sidebars. With the right tuning, nitrous will take your LSJ a long way. You won't need forged internals as my car was WELL over 400whp/450ft.lbs. on that set up and I have ran it for MANY hard miles like that. You may want to invest in some nice rod and main bearings though. I'd be more worried about the rods than the pistons though on nitrous.

Also, DO NOT run the nitrous dry. Adding in meth will not add in fuel.....GM's tune adds more fuel when the nitrous is activated.

And take off the Intense Stage 5 kit before your car goes boom.
    Figued that was you, wasnt sure though....and uhh the car already went boom haha the number 4 piston rings did their dance. Rebuilding a little earlier than I planned, guess I didn't get this tuning thing down till it was too late. You got any suggestions for some good rod and main bearings(Clevite)? I know your set-up proved a lot as far as what an LSJ could do and you actually ran a big shot of nitrous so the goal here is to most likely mimick your set up if I could. Any pics and other great info would be nice too...I never really saw how you did your nitrous setup under the hood. Thanks on the quick response.

So far I got:
    -a 2.7 pulley to throw on
    -ceramic coated pacesetter
    -6 puck clutch
    -solid mounts
    -Interceptor/LC-1/HPT of course(Thanks Bill for getting my app key situated!)
    still on stock exhaust and cat on the car
    Last edited by dom1013; 03-07-2009 at 08:31 PM.
    04' Ion Redline - Intense Racing Stage 5 kit - Snow Performance Water/Meth kit - ZZP S3 H/E - Newly Built forged Internal Engine....Being KEPT alive this time via HPTUNERS.

The nitrous set up under the hood was sneaky-sneaky. The nitrous solenoid was mounted in the bumper next to the driver's side headlight and the fuel solenoid was mounted to the transmission. Both were all nicely painted flat black and the lines were covered in wire loom. Having the nozzle in the fender liner in my custom made intake made for more sneakiness. The fuel line pressure check valve leading to the rail was tapped, but it was tapped with a right angle fitting the same color as the line. I then wrapped it in loom and tape to look like a factory line. No one knew it was even there. I'd say the biggest advantage to the 150 shot was the C16 and the ability to tune with HPT. I couldn't have done it without either of those. And the 5lb. bottle was held under the spare tire cover. Now my old set up on my last Redline, that was a different story:

http://cobaltss.net/gallery/files/5/5/5/5/NOTHIN080.jpg
    RSG Offroad

Tuner
    damn, thats a crazy set-up on the old redline, looks good though haha....I like the sound of that sneaky set-up though. Probably gonna try something like that, It would Reeeallly be nice maybe to be able to buy one of those custom CAI you made hint, hint....or mayb I can add a piece to my AEM.

I definitely wouldnt run 150 shot w/o race gas by my side for sure, I wonder if there is a way HPT will allow me to run a setup like the stage 3 PCM where I can activate the different maps at the push of a button without having to reflash the car.

Any suggestions on that one?
    Last edited by dom1013; 03-08-2009 at 07:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dom1013 View Post
    damn, thats a crazy set-up on the old redline, looks good though haha....I like the sound of that sneaky set-up though. Probably gonna try something like that, It would Reeeallly be nice maybe to be able to buy one of those custom CAI you made hint, hint....or mayb I can add a piece to my AEM.

I definitely wouldnt run 150 shot w/o race gas by my side for sure, I wonder if there is a way HPT will allow me to run a setup like the stage 3 PCM where I can activate the different maps at the push of a button without having to reflash the car.

Any suggestions on that one?
    Well if you tune the VE table for real, then you can adjust timing and the VE table airflow for the specific values of the added calculated cylinder airmass due to the increase in manifold pressure. There will be a small delay, but nothing harmful.
    RSG Offroad

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by dont_blink View Post
    Well if you tune the VE table for real, then you can adjust timing and the VE table airflow for the specific values of the added calculated cylinder airmass due to the increase in manifold pressure. There will be a small delay, but nothing harmful.
    Thanks, thats what I was thinking also....I guess Ill see how it goes.

Here's another vid to get you going. It's my same car, same night as the Vette race even. This is against an RSX-S that is tuned with K-pro, has all kinds of airflow mods done, and a 100 shot of nitrous. The RSX should be making well over 300whp and it weighs about 200lns less than my Ion. We went from 60 and I gave him the jump on me, watch what happens haha.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/I...hot_173306.htm
    RSG Offroad