Thread: Disabled VATS....

Advanced Tuner

Disabled VATS....

I disabled the VATS and loaded the tune but the fob still works as well as teh alarm so that tells me that the VATS are still abled. I went back and verified the VATS are disabled and reloaded the tune again but still no change.
    86 Fiero Convertible 3800sc/4T65E HD(2002)

vats only effects the PCM (ie. enables you to start the engine), all other aspects of the system still function normally
    I count sheep in hex...

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris@HPTuners View Post
    vats only effects the PCM (ie. enables you to start the engine), all other aspects of the system still function normally
    Thanks, hopefully that solves my problem.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by tweeder View Post
    Thanks, hopefully that solves my problem.
    I was thinking that the VATS couldn't possibly be disabled cause just after
    I noticed this I rolled down my drivers side window, closed the door an locked it with the fob. I went in the house and came out about 20 mins later reached in and physically unlocked the door an opened it with the outside handle as if I was stealing it, the alarm went off when I opened the door.

the VATS option in our software only allows the engine to start (for engine swaps). it doesn't affect the operation of any other part of the security system.
    I count sheep in hex...

Advanced Tuner
    Trying to revive this problem as its back again. Before I just loaded my tune and didn't have to disable anything, it just started working after the reload. About a month ago my fob stopped working. I checked the battery and tried the secondary fob and no go. So I gave up until I had the time. Off and on the security light would come and go but no prob. This mornin it would start and shut off. The truck thought I was tryin to steal it. Took the wife's and i'll deal with it later. I tried it tonight and it started like normal. So I went into the tune and disabled the vats. It had the options of serial, PWM or disable. Any reason for these problems?

The anti theft system and factory alarm are not related and both controlled by the BCM. By disabling the VATS in the tune will allow the PCM let the engine run without the fuel enable signal present from the BCM, but the factory content alarm would still be enabled. Even with it disabled, the security light can still be commanded on by the BCM when a system fault is present. These trucks are fairly common for lock cylinder housing problems, (Passlock system) the housing sends a signal to the BCM when you turn the key, only being able to determine if the lock cylinder was turned by a key, or turned in a unnormal matter (smashed, broken lock cylinder). The lock cylinder housings are quite a labor job and fairly exspensive. The system can be bypassed with a simple resistor. (I've done this many times.) There will be a three wire harness coming from the lock cylinder housing, wire colors : red/white, orange/black, yellow. If you cut the yellow and orange/black and solder in a 1k ohm resistor the BCM will receive a valid signal. You would then need to perform a security learn procedure, leave the key on till the light security light quits flashing, attempt to start, then key off for 30 secs and the BCM should learn the new value, sometimes you may have to repeat the procedure. After that you shouldnt have a problem with it again.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by highpsi View Post
    The anti theft system and factory alarm are not related and both controlled by the BCM. By disabling the VATS in the tune will allow the PCM let the engine run without the fuel enable signal present from the BCM, but the factory content alarm would still be enabled. Even with it disabled, the security light can still be commanded on by the BCM when a system fault is present. These trucks are fairly common for lock cylinder housing problems, (Passlock system) the housing sends a signal to the BCM when you turn the key, only being able to determine if the lock cylinder was turned by a key, or turned in a unnormal matter (smashed, broken lock cylinder). The lock cylinder housings are quite a labor job and fairly exspensive. The system can be bypassed with a simple resistor. (I've done this many times.) There will be a three wire harness coming from the lock cylinder housing, wire colors : red/white, orange/black, yellow. If you cut the yellow and orange/black and solder in a 1k ohm resistor the BCM will receive a valid signal. You would then need to perform a security learn procedure, leave the key on till the light security light quits flashing, attempt to start, then key off for 30 secs and the BCM should learn the new value, sometimes you may have to repeat the procedure. After that you shouldn't have a problem with it again.
    Thanks, i'll try that as my security light still comes and goes.