Thread: Houston...we have a problem

Houston...we have a problem

Ok guys....I've tuned two D-maxs LBZ 2006/2007 (my Father and Brother)....I've put dozens of tunes into both of them without fail. However, they both wanted a tune to try something in there trucks...different transmission settings is all that changed (Engine was tuned to MPG and 80hp). Both of the ECMs have CRASHED!!! This is a problem guys. I need to check to make sure my box is not causing this or whether its GM poor engineering.

Done everything I know to do to prevent this:
    Shut off all lights, Turn off compass mirror, Running lights, etc.

However, I can tune my 2002 5.3L, 2001 3.1L, and 2007 TBSS all day long without problems.

Any help would be appreciated!

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    What do you mean by ECMs have crashed?
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

What I mean is, before the retune...everything is fine...truck runs great. However, after the retune, the truck revs to the moon and on my brothers truck set a code. ECM malfunction was the description. Today while tuning my fathers LBZ (retune...like the 15th one), tuned it and it reved to the moon. I didn't read any codes but the truck won't idle...instead it revs and revs without end.

I have even tried to put the stock tune and orginial modified tune back in the truck but its already gone....it won't run like it was.....still revs to the moon. I've read the file back and it comes out clean with nothing wrong with it.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    What DTC's are you getting?
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

PO607 I believe it was.

If you're taking someone elses tune, either from this forum or from somewhere else and just copying it to an ECM, you WILL have problems.

If that isn't the case, the original 'stock' read will fix it--just clear all DTC's after a complete rewrite.

Well, I was taking two tunes (both from LBZs and comparing them and copying and pasting tables) that was working from my fathers and brothers and vice versa. However, I did reload the stock tune and clear DTCs after that with no fix.

But why would it matter if I copy tables from the same engine parimeters?

Also, so this doesn't happen again...they need to get new computers...I'll download the new computer and then do not just set the settings like I had it but without copying them so by manual type in.

Without 'seeing' what was done it's hard to surmize.
    There are differences with each year...so be careful what you copy and paste.

Quote Originally Posted by Programmer View Post
    Without 'seeing' what was done it's hard to surmize.
    There are differences with each year...so be careful what you copy and paste.
    Only thing that where copied are the timing tables, 1-2 shift tables, and TM.

Can't tell without looking, sorry.

Can't tell without looking, sorry.
    I'll post the tunes...#1 is the running tune and #2 is the tune that messed up.

Also...I'll attach the 2006 file I'm using for my brothers as well.

Quote Originally Posted by gofish7 View Post
    I'll post the tunes...#1 is the running tune and #2 is the tune that messed up.
    Ok...looks like the only thing that'd mess things up is your exhaust brake max RPM adjustment. If #1 is 'working fine'.
    Last edited by Programmer; 12-29-2008 at 02:10 PM.

Ok...looks like the only thing that'd mess things up is your exhaust brake max RPM adjustment. If #1 is 'working fine'.
    #1 worked flawlessly for a long time. I'll change the brake back to stock and see if that fixes the problem. The timing is a 50/50 mix (calculator) and EGR block off plate was installed so I set the EGR on/off vanes and boost to the same settings so it wouldn't (hunt) so to speak.

Bump for some answers...if any...