Thread: Converter lock up issue

Tuner in Training

Converter lock up issue

I'm having problems getting my converter to stay locked.

The car is a 2001 Grand Prix GT, running an L67 and a GT trans with 3.29 gears.

I'm currently running a 99GTP OS. Everything seems to be fine except the converter won't stay locked.

any ideas?

Thanks
    Last edited by SLOWGTO; 12-27-2008 at 11:34 AM.
    04A4 112HH, K&N, ST's, catless, 1.71 60' 11.87 @ 116 2bar street tune

Stock 99 GTP
    '99 Trans Am WS6
    H/C/I/E, 3.73, Yank SS4000

Advanced Tuner
    I am not sure why I bother to copy some other stuff over from an 03 GTP for the non-trans section, force of habit I guess. I fyou dont want to use it, copy over the engine sections you dont want.

Anyway, 99 GTP file with 99 GT trans section (not just the stuff you can see in the current tuner realease, all of it). BTW, you might want to copy the newer tables (that you can see in the current tuner release) from a 01-03 GP GT file, but this should be a good start to see if it will help your issue or not.
    Last edited by bilemke; 12-27-2008 at 11:16 PM.
    97 Grand Prix GTP (not going to bother listing mods in detail) 1 messed up 97 PCM with about 30-50% of a 2003 calibration and parts of a few others.

Potential Tuner
    We flashed that file to my car tonight and the converter locks up fine, however, we are now totally dead in the water. We cannot flash anything else to the PCM as it gives a "Invalid VIN/OS Pair" error. When we read the file that is now flashed on it (the one you posted) it says it is not registered.

So, we were able to flash it, and now we can't do anything to it at all. We can't even register the download of what is on there as it throws that horribly annoying vin/os error. This is the same crap that we had to deal with with an old DHP PCM, that damn invalid vin/os stuff.

So, now what? I appreciate your trying to help but I think we are now out a bunch of cash.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by boogieq View Post
    We flashed that file to my car tonight and the converter locks up fine, however, we are now totally dead in the water. We cannot flash anything else to the PCM as it gives a "Invalid VIN/OS Pair" error. When we read the file that is now flashed on it (the one you posted) it says it is not registered.

So, we were able to flash it, and now we can't do anything to it at all. We can't even register the download of what is on there as it throws that horribly annoying vin/os error. This is the same crap that we had to deal with with an old DHP PCM, that damn invalid vin/os stuff.

So, now what? I appreciate your trying to help but I think we are now out a bunch of cash.
    Ahh.. Who are you? You are not the person that requested this file... (at least not by your forum name)..

Assuming you are not the person that requested this file, that was very unwise to try flashing it to your car... And, assuming you have a HPTuner and are not just a registered forum member, from my understanding you couldnt have flashed it to your PCM without giving said vin/os error before you could even try to flash it to your car.
    Last edited by bilemke; 12-30-2008 at 11:55 PM.
    97 Grand Prix GTP (not going to bother listing mods in detail) 1 messed up 97 PCM with about 30-50% of a 2003 calibration and parts of a few others.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by bilemke View Post
    Ahh.. Who are you? You are not the person that requested this file... (at least not by your forum name)..

Assuming you are not the person that requested this file, that was very unwise to try flashing it to your car... And, assuming you have a HPTuner and are not just a registered forum member, from my understanding you couldnt have flashed it to your PCM without giving said vin/os error before you could even try to flash it to your car.
    SLOWGTO is working on MY car. His post was about MY car. I don't expect you to know that and should have stated as such. Now that you know that perhaps we can figure something out. I posted that last night in frustration as this vin/os garbage is really getting to be pain in the rear.

Right, I figured it should have told us we needed to register the file too but it did not. We can still open the file you sent and it does not ask us to licence it, however, now that it is flashed to the PCM we cannot write that file (that you posted) to the PCM as it gives us an "Invalid VIN/OS" error. If we try to flash our old bins with the bad trans settings we get the same problem, as it starts to flash and does its checks half way through it errors out.

If we pull the current flash off of it and open the file in HP Tuners it states that it is not licensed and if we try to license it we cannot as it says it is an Invalid VIN/OS pair.

So, I have two PCM's now with invalid vin/os pairs that I can't register or write to. I paid for the credits that SLOWGTO has for this car and he is helping me with it... again, sorry I wasn't more clear. Your help is appreciated as stated! We just want this damn thing to work.

Advanced Tuner
    Ahh.. I see.. SLOWGTO as a new PM then

Advanced Tuner
    Oh, BTW, you guys by Milwaukee like BAD WS6?

Potential Tuner
    Yeah, we are both in greater Milwaukee.

Thanks for getting back to SLOWGTO, I hope we can figure this out! Thanks for your time

Advanced Tuner
    Not a problem... We will see what happened with SLOWGTO.. Might be something completely out of my hands because the file I uploaded is just a modified copy of the stock one BAD WS6 posted... That lack of issue and the a mismatch is something I have yet to see with HPTuner.

Hmm. You guys are only about 2-3 hours away...

Potential Tuner
    Well I don't know where he got that file from unless he modified the one SLOWGTO posted. I hope we can straighten this out... what a battle.

I realize this is an old thread, but I have pretty much the same problem with my Torque converter not locking up correctly.

Vehicle is a 1999 GTP.

over 5 years ago, the PCM was sent off and replaced with a programmed one (98 GTP PCM)

when I purchased HP Tuners, I purchased it for a 99 GTP, which of course didn't work as my PCM was an aftermarket 98.

I traded the 98 "aftermarket" PCM for a stock 99.

years of mods later, the Transmission currently has 3.69 gears, and an Edge Racing Converter, Quaif diff, etc...

Any idea's on the lockup rarely working correctly?