Thread: Coil packs

Tuner in Training

Coil packs

I think I'm having some problems with my coils. Sometimes my computer throws a multiple cylinder misfire code only when I'm cruising around 2000 rpms. Does anyone know how many ohms of resistance a stock LS1 coil puts out when doing a continuity test? Thanks

coils won't be bad at just a certain RPM range... Do you know that your misfires are real?
    Steve Williams
    TunedbyFrost.com

Tuner in Training
    Well when i'm driving down the road and this happens, the SES light will flash on and off about twenty or so times if I'm cruisin in lets say 4th or 5th gear at 2000rpm. But I don't notice anything going wrong. But now if I'm in 4th at 2000rpm and i go WOT it sorta feels like it dogs down a little for a maybe a second and then it gets up and goes. I dunno what it could be.

I'm not sure that meets the criteria for calling them real... do you *feel* the miss? What do your data logs show? Misfires move fresh air into the exhaust and can look like lean spots. Is you cam stock? How about tq. converter?
    Steve Williams
    TunedbyFrost.com

Tuner in Training
    It's a M6 car. Cam is the stock cam that came with the motor. I don't really feel the mis. I mean idles smooth for the most part, lobes a little, kinda hard to tell with the headers on there.

back to the basics; log misfire counts per cyl and see what you get. What does the O2 voltage at the time your SES is flashing (actively misfiring) tell you?
    Steve Williams
    TunedbyFrost.com

Tuner in Training
    Well i really haven't been able to log it since I don't know when it will happen. It happens around those RPMs when I'm cruising but it don't happen everytime. I've tried to log it but it seems like it don't happen when I'm trying to log it.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 99LS6SS View Post
    Well i really haven't been able to log it since I don't know when it will happen. It happens around those RPMs when I'm cruising but it don't happen everytime. I've tried to log it but it seems like it don't happen when I'm trying to log it.
    just log all the time until you capture the misfires then you can tell us which frames of the scan are best to see the condition

I log to & from work every day - work is 84 miles 1 way and I have never run out of room for scans

you can also try to recreate any conditions that you know tend to aggravate the misfires
    PB's 1/4 mi 12.21 117.75 trap ,1/8 mi. 7.779 93.99trap , 1.949 short time (FWD W body)