Thread: E38 PCM flash chip?

Tuner

E38 PCM flash chip?

Would anybody know what flash chip the e38 pcm uses?

Tuner
    Well the 2009 I've got apart on the bench has an AMD AM29BDD
    Chris White
    www.GTOShiftLight.com
    2006 GTO Spice Red A4
    2012 Jeep SRT8
    2013 SRX Custom IPC/BCM/CUE
    2013 XTS4 Custom IPC/BCM/CUE Auto High Beams
    2013 Volt Custom IPC/BCM/Radio

yeah its a 29BDD160G

if you are trying to get it out of the pcm to read it, don't plan on using that PCM again
    I count sheep in hex...

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris@HPTuners View Post
    yeah its a 29BDD160G

if you are trying to get it out of the pcm to read it, don't plan on using that PCM again
    Thanks for that. I was not planning on removing at the moment,But can you explain why it cannot be removed and why pcm is stuffed after. I did notice that the 29BDD is a dual boot with simultainious read/write capabilities,Does ths mean it could support actual true live realtime tuning on all parameters?

no its a flash chip, not a dual port ram.

to get to the flash chip (which is on the underside of the board) you need to remove the board from the case, which requires desoldering all the connector pins and then ungluing the board from the case. Not impossible, but pretty f'n close to it!

From memory the chip is a BGA package (can't remember exactly). Maybe its an inline but even still its a very fine pitch if i remember rightly.
    I count sheep in hex...

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris@HPTuners View Post
    no its a flash chip, not a dual port ram.

to get to the flash chip (which is on the underside of the board) you need to remove the board from the case, which requires desoldering all the connector pins and then ungluing the board from the case. Not impossible, but pretty f'n close to it!

From memory the chip is a BGA package (can't remember exactly). Maybe its an inline but even still its a very fine pitch if i remember rightly.

x100000 LOL Just plan on killing 90% of the ECM's you try this with. The first E40 I pulled apart was a FREAKING NIGHTMARE the connector pins werent so bad but the case/board through pins (the large ones) were a major PITA.
    Chris White
    www.GTOShiftLight.com
    2006 GTO Spice Red A4
    2012 Jeep SRT8
    2013 SRX Custom IPC/BCM/CUE
    2013 XTS4 Custom IPC/BCM/CUE Auto High Beams
    2013 Volt Custom IPC/BCM/Radio

yeah you need a very hot iron for those suckers, usually those combined with the glue i always end up with warped boards (i only tried maybe 3 times).
    I count sheep in hex...