Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: VE table tuning philosophy - need help

Advanced Tuner
    Rumor has it new NBO2's are more accurate at stoich than new WBO2's, and also that the NBO2's should be trusted for everything except PE. For PE, you need to worry about making sure your HPT AFR readings match up across the entire range with what your WB scanner is reading. I consider the latter a real PITA. Even if you use WBO2's to tune in OL (which I've done also), you still need to insure the readings are accurate before you start... and supposedly you need to re-check regularly.
    1998 NBM Camaro Z28
    LS3 motor
    Mod list

If you tune correctly in OL and get the VE table right and then the MAF table right, when you go back to closed loop the narrow bands just do the minor tweaking to keep you at stoich for everything except WOT.

You can set up STFT vs MAF tables to do some fine tuning at lower RPM/MAP readings also. You can't just tune with the NB's and expect to have a quality tune. The are slow and are design to help the PCM try to maintain stoich.

If you are running in hybrid mode (VE and MAF like factory) you should not have o retune or recheck once you are done.
    Free HP Tuners Beginners Tuning Guide

LS1 Tuning Guide
    Michigan Snowmobiler

1969 Firebird: 11.67@114 [email protected] 1/8 1.70 60 ft. EPS cam 234/246 .602.606 114+3, 6.0 LQ4, L92 heads milled 10.5:1, Ported L76 intake, ported 90mm Holley TB, 100mm MAF, FIC Custom injectors, Hooker LT, PYPES dual exhaust with an X pipe, 4L65e with all of the good parts inside, FTI 4000 RPM Stall, 12 bolt with 3.73 gears. HP Tuner tuned by me

Tuner in Training
    imo Greg's dvd is great place to begin if you're new. There's a lot of wrong, slightly wrong, and horribly wrong info out there. After spending $650 on HP Tuners it was worth spending $250 to know how to use it correctly.

I believe he was showing MAF tuning done before VE btw.

Quote Originally Posted by ysb02 View Post

I believe he was showing MAF tuning done before VE btw.
    I think that's a Ford thing You can do either one first. Since VE helps idle/driveability, I do it first my self and then put the car 'on the MAF'.
    Steve Williams
    TunedbyFrost.com

Yep, either way works.

Greg's DVD is good but it does not get in depth enough for a true beginner.
    Free HP Tuners Beginners Tuning Guide

LS1 Tuning Guide
    Michigan Snowmobiler

1969 Firebird: 11.67@114 [email protected] 1/8 1.70 60 ft. EPS cam 234/246 .602.606 114+3, 6.0 LQ4, L92 heads milled 10.5:1, Ported L76 intake, ported 90mm Holley TB, 100mm MAF, FIC Custom injectors, Hooker LT, PYPES dual exhaust with an X pipe, 4L65e with all of the good parts inside, FTI 4000 RPM Stall, 12 bolt with 3.73 gears. HP Tuner tuned by me

Greg's DVD ..still back order ?
    98 Z28
    stock ls1 engine,A4,Fast 90/90,SLP lid,Ms3 112LSA,LT Headers,TCI 3500stall,semens 60 inj,ASP under drive ,3.73 gear,11.82 1/4 .sold

Quote Originally Posted by superwagon View Post
    My stock PE does not enable until 5000rpm and my max shift points are at 4700rpm, so I'm never getting to the 5000rpm enable point. Should I lower my enable rpm for tuning VE table, if so to what?
    Why not set your PE enable 3000 and raise your shift points.
    Criminal Motorsports Racing

Advanced Tuner
    The 8.1 is not really a high rpm engine so I dont think increasing my shift points that far would help much. I can lower my pe enable to say 3000 rpm and get it to go into enrichment at any point I would like. I think my main question back when I had my question was trying to understand why so many say it is so bad to delay pe while tuning ve table. If gm was okay with the factory calibration never going into pe then why would it be bad to calibrate my ve table the same way? Now I do understand that commanding say 12.5:1 under higher load and rpm would be much better for performance and longevity in my final tune. I was just having a hard time seeing why it would be so bad to leave it that way while tuning.

Quote Originally Posted by superwagon View Post
    The 8.1 is not really a high rpm engine so I dont think increasing my shift points that far would help much. I can lower my pe enable to say 3000 rpm and get it to go into enrichment at any point I would like. I think my main question back when I had my question was trying to understand why so many say it is so bad to delay pe while tuning ve table. If gm was okay with the factory calibration never going into pe then why would it be bad to calibrate my ve table the same way? Now I do understand that commanding say 12.5:1 under higher load and rpm would be much better for performance and longevity in my final tune. I was just having a hard time seeing why it would be so bad to leave it that way while tuning.

I don't think that it is a problem at all. GM probably did not intend this engine to have PE if this is a stock file that you first scanned with the PE set above your shift rpm's at WOT. If the PE settings are useful when you lower the RPM's they are enabled at then keep them that way, just watch your WB to see the AFR % error. It may or may not have a negative effect on your % errors and your performance. I know my Corvette's PE enables at a MAP and throttle position so the RPM thing is a little different.
    Chris

Tuner in Training
    On my editor I have " STFT OPEN LOOP". While I'm tuning VE with Wideband do I want this on or off?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LSROVER View Post
    On my editor I have " STFT OPEN LOOP". While I'm tuning VE with Wideband do I want this on or off?

Thanks
    You commented on an ancient post, but you want that STFT open loop off while tuning with the wideband. Otherwise the pcm will be trimming fuel similar to closed loop. Turn it back on when you are finished tuning.
    2001 Silverado 5.3 - 209/217 cam, GT45 Turbo on 7lbs, Aem x-series wideband, 50lb/hr flex fuel injectors, on E85 with content sensor

1999 Silverado 6.0/4L80E Summit Stage one camshaft, 317 heads (replaced cast iron)

Tuner in Training
    I know. I figure I reply to this one instead of starting a new thread.

Thanks for the clarification on the stft open loop.