Thread: Oreillys remanufactured PCM

Tuner

Oreillys remanufactured PCM

I ordered a remanufactured PCM for my 98 Camaro LS1 because I fried my last one. I know the new PCM will have to be flashed before it will work. The question is will it be a basic "write calibration" or will I do a "write entire" or something else?
    98 Corvette Coupe - Texas-Speed 408ci iron block, PRC 237cc heads, Ed Curtis Cam 239-247-115 .624-.624

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    You would likely want them to flash it to a valid stock file with your vin number & then reread & edit that new file. Use write calibration only's unless you decide to switch operating systems at a later time.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner
    So I won't be able to install it and write to it w/o having something else done first?
    98 Corvette Coupe - Texas-Speed 408ci iron block, PRC 237cc heads, Ed Curtis Cam 239-247-115 .624-.624

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    I mean you can do whatever you want, I'm just giving you the best advice but take it for what its worth.

Tuner
    What? Can you explain yourself? I am simply asking what I have to do to get my car running again with this new PCM. I'll do whatever I have to but I don't know because I've never been in this exact situation before. I don't know #1 if this PCM is totally blank, no vin, odometer, etc. Or if it already has that from its previous car. Either way I dont know if HPTuners is capable of loading my old tune to this, or if I will have to buy more credits and do a read. Whatever I need to do is fine, but I just like to know the whole story.

Basically, it just a question about the limitations of the HPTuners software / hardware.
    Last edited by animuL; 02-13-2009 at 08:49 PM.

you will need to have somebody flash it with a Tech 2 first...
    find somebody with one or take it to a Chevy dealership...
    they usually charge about $75 for the ones I've seen...dont quote me on it though...every place is different and it may have gone up or down in price
    -Scott -

Tuner
    thanks, will it flash it with my vin or will i also need to buy more credits?

I think you have to buy more credits... but I cant remember...
    I had a buddy that killed his 98 pcm and he had to buy a new one.....
    I just rememebr he had to have it flashed with a tech2....
    I think he had already bought a year/model license so it didnt cost him anything...but again...I can remember if you do or now...
    -Scott -

Tuner
    MY OLD PCM WAS NOT DEAD!

I bought this new PC, and for shits just tried to do a write entire, well it still has the old vin and stuff, so it prompted me to buy new credits. I figured I'd just take it and have it flashed with my vin like mentioned above.

Well in trying that PCM, my old one was unplugged for 10 min or so. I plugged it back in and decided to give it one last try. Did a write entire, and viola! Runs perfect again! YAY. I went from spending like $300 on this stupid mistake to spending $0!!!

Quote Originally Posted by animuL View Post
    I went from spending....to spending $0!!!
    k00L... If you're gonna have an issue, the zero cost ones
    are the best ones to have...

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by soundengineer View Post
    I think you have to buy more credits... but I cant remember...
    I had a buddy that killed his 98 pcm and he had to buy a new one.....
    I just rememebr he had to have it flashed with a tech2....
    I think he had already bought a year/model license so it didnt cost him anything...but again...I can remember if you do or now...

I thought HPTuners had the ability to flash blank PCM's... seams like it was a update some time ago....?
    2000 EC, SB Z71 03 LQ4, 05 front clip with e-fans, STS turbo, GT67, Blow off valve, 170Kpa, Alkycontrol, 44lbs injectors @ 100% dutycycle, Comp 918's, HPtuner, 02 ECM, Dyno Jet Wideband, Eaton LSD, Speed Engineering 4l80e conversion, 2800 ART CARR stall removed now running stocker . 11.87 @ 114
    New times 11.41 @ 119.. look out 10's here I come.....

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilde Racing View Post
    I thought HPTuners had the ability to flash blank PCM's... seams like it was a update some time ago....?
    Nope, it needs to have at least a valid os in it to be able to flash to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    I mean you can do whatever you want, I'm just giving you the best advice but take it for what its worth.
    I'm in a similar situation. I have a used E40 from an '06 Malibu that I would like to use in an '06 GTO. The Malibu OS is 12604792, and the GTO OS I wish to load is 12603159.

I understand your best advice is to have it Tech-2 flashed first. Is it even possible to do a 'Write Entire' of an OS that is from a totally different car, as long as the hardware is the same?

The VCM Editor help seems to contradict itself as to whether this is possible. The examples below imply that it is possible, and is actually a documented feature.

"Rewrite Entire (selected vehicles only)

This is a useful feature for the tuner shop or mail order tuner and doesn't apply much to a single vehicle tuner. What this can allow you to do is program a VCM that came from another vehicle for your specific vehicle type. You must make sure that the VCM hardware matches. This is a very powerful feature and must be used with caution. If you write a VCM with a file that doesn't belong on it, you could damage the VCM and cause it to be unrecoverable. It is not available on for all vehicle types."

AND

"When should I use "Write Entire" ?
    The only time you should use the Entire VCM Write feature is if you are updating the software on the VCM to a new operating system. For example, using a Corvette VCM with electronic throttle in a Firebird that has cable driven throttle body (same VCM hardware, different Operating System).

But in the same help file (version 2.22.3152.18236) it states under "Troubleshooting - VCM Write Failed":

"File OS ID does not match VCM OS ID.
    Please load a file that is compatible with this VCM.
    You are trying to write a VCM flash calibration that does not match the current VCM's flash calibration OS ID."

And there's this post by Keith, which implies that one can flash the VCM to another vehicle's OS without a visit to the dealer.

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showpo...68&postcount=2

"What are the benefits of rewriting the operating system?
    For example, rewriting the operating system can allow you to turn a truck VCM/PCM into a car VCM/PCM providing that the VCM/PCM hardware is the same for both vehicles and you are licensed for support of both vehicles."

Sorry if I am being a pain-in-the-rear. It just seems as if there is conflicting advice as to whether or not we can use the editor to flash an ECM from one model/year/OS, to another. If I can flash the GTO OS on this E40 without involving a dealership and that added expense, I would certainly prefer to do it that way.

Thanks,
    -Mike
    2006 GTO, APS TwinTurbo, Stroked LS3 416ci, LSA heads, LS9 cam, 4L80e

you can use the editor to flash any valid OS and VIN to a PCM that supports it
    But it has to have a valid os and vin already in it
    If the pcm is blank then hpt has no idea how to write to it cause it doesnt pass its own safety/sanity checks for that pcm

A good example
    You can flash a 2002 Fbody OS to a 99 Fbody pcm

However you cannot flash it to a 98 Pcm(physically different hardware)

There are many pcms that support several different types of vehicles and can be flashed with any of those valid os/vin combos
    -Scott -