Thread: 3rd gear in-out-in?

3rd gear in-out-in?

Ive seem to have found a sort of bug in HPT. I noticed it when this last version came out (I believe it was this one) but the behavior I was experiencing, I attributed to my last transmission failing. Now after replacing the trans with a TOTALLY different unit, the same thing is happening.

Without regard to any transmission tables, even writing the stock tune back to the truck:

On the 2>3 upshift, the direct clutches (3rd gear) will engage, then disengage for a half second, then re-engage and hold until the next event. It happens in the towhaul/perf mode & cruise control modes as well.

Using the scanner, I can put the shifter in first, and manually command all upshift events and when I click from 2nd to 3rd in the scanner, it shifts flawlessly. All other times, I have problems.

I can provide a vcminfo thing and anything else ya'll need. I would really appreciate any info at all, as I'm worried about the longevity of my direct clutches

Just wanted to let yall know my problem turned out to be with vcm suite 2.22. I downgraded to 2.1.18 and remade my tune and I no longer have the 2>3 clutchpack engage - disengage - re-engage behavior. Would you guys like me to make a post in the bugs subforum about this?

Tuner in Training
    This sounds very similar to something I'm going through. But I'm still trying to figure out if I can tune it out. I was thinking it was the TCC locking/unlocking/locking again. But it may be the direct clutches too now that you mention that. I haven't really done a scan to work on this problem yet (been doing other things lately).

Derrick

Well like I said I just reloaded an old version on my computer, and rewrote my tune, but I didnt get to drive it even a quarter of a mile, but It went through the shifts pretty decently I *think*. It didn't surge, so it may be okay. When I leave out of here later on and hit the streets I will know for sure. You have a 4L80e equipped truck, correct?

EDIT: tazinhawaii, would you be so kind as to post your file? I am curious about something in it, and would like to see if one other thing in my tunefile was a contributing factor to this retarded behavior. I am 99.999 repeating % sure it's NOT the transmission. I have built this thing myself on my back porch over this past Christmas with top of the line stuff and diligent care. It will snap your neck on any given shift if you have it set that way and doesn't slip any. It's got kolene steel plates, "red" waffled clutches, TransGo HD2, New solenoids, lipseals, springs out the butt; Everything! Also, The fact that when I shift it with the computer controls on my laptop; 1st, 2nd, and then to 3rd, it's FLAWLESS. That means my problem is electronic, therefore [theoretically] easily repairable.

UPDATE: The trans will STILL do this funky stuff, but VERY *VERY* rarely. I drove around subdivision blocks for 2 hours today, and it didnt do it at all. Then I started out a little 'healthier' (i.e more TP%) one time and it did it to me, but in about half the time it used to. Maybe like a quarter of a second versus 3/4 or 2/3 of a second like before. It's at least something I can live with now, but I will still try and nail it down, no doubt.
    Last edited by gman4dx266; 02-25-2009 at 03:13 PM.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by gman4dx266 View Post
    Just wanted to let yall know my problem turned out to be with vcm suite 2.22. I downgraded to 2.1.18 and remade my tune and I no longer have the 2>3 clutchpack engage - disengage - re-engage behavior. Would you guys like me to make a post in the bugs subforum about this?
    email support the file that works fine & the file you are having issues with along with a vcm suite infolog and a link to this thread.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

'preciate it Bill; Email sent.

I wanted to let everyone know I found a solution to this problem...Im still not 100% sure if my problem was due to the VCM suite version or not, since using some of my files in the older version yielded mixed results: sometimes the problem would show up sometimes it wouldnt.

I have however, found a solution, albeit a cheap one, to rectify the studder or whatever you want to call it on the 2>3 upshift.

Heres a video to show you what to do, in case someone else has the same situation. Hope it helps!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imJdP2dzYnQ