Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Incorrect boost on Scanner

Tuner in Training

Incorrect boost on Scanner

After recording a few scans I noticed that the tables and gauges are displaying the intake pressure incorrectly. At idle HPT is showing 5-6psi and at full boost (23psi on the cars DIC) the playback shows over 30psi. AS far as I can tell, everything else is correct.

Any ideas?

Advanced Tuner
    Are you looking at the map sensor readout? Subtract 14.5 from that to get boost smaponbob

Tuner in Training
    In "gauge" display is pre-configured as is the graph. I'll look at it again and post here.

Tuner in Training
    Okay, I am looking at a scan record of my Redline. I have the MAP set to psi on both the Gauge and Chart displays. At idle (812 rpm the MPA is showing 5.22 psi on both. At 6600rpm, TPS 81%, MAF 32.89 lb/min, boost is showing 32.05 psi !!!! I don't think so!! Ideas?

Advanced Tuner
    Subtract 14.5 from the map readings, the map sensor reads 14.5psi atmospheric pressure + boost.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Subtract 14.5 from the map readings, the map sensor reads atmospheric pressure(14.5psi) plus boost as stated by shabby twice now

It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    The first time he simply said to subtract 14.5. It did not dawn on me WHY. With his second subtraction he DID explain why, as did you, and now I get it. So, I guess I wonder why it is displayed that way. Just curious.

Tuner in Training
    I was looking at the custom PID posted by 405hp z06 to read the boost by its self but no matter how I try to do it it just will not come out right. So I give up on it lol.

Convert MAP to Boost Pressure -
    Formula: (MAP Sensor - BARO) / 6.894757

Name: Boost
    Abbrv: Bst
    Sensor: none selected
    Units: psi
    Function: ([SENS.30.MET] - [PID.2340.MET]) / 6.894757

I have tried everything from that exact formula to just having the map sensor subtract the baro and still cant get it right.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by jwhitten View Post
    to just having the map sensor subtract the baro and still cant get it right.
    Thats what i did and it works, the help section of vcm scanner comes in handy.

Quote Originally Posted by snaponbob View Post
    The first time he simply said to subtract 14.5. It did not dawn on me WHY. With his second subtraction he DID explain why, as did you, and now I get it. So, I guess I wonder why it is displayed that way. Just curious.
    MAP = Manifold Absolute Pressure

Boost is usually quoted relative to atmospheric pressure, which is 14.5psi absolute.
    I count sheep in hex...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris@HPTuners View Post
    MAP = Manifold Absolute Pressure

Boost is usually quoted relative to atmospheric pressure, which is 14.5psi absolute.

14.5038 to be exact.....
    -Scott -

Tuner in Training
    I am starting to feel like a 95 year old man in a rest home being shown Blackberry for the first time and being told to go ahead and text his kids.

In attempting to to create a PID, I run into a road block. I am looking at the demo about creating a Custom PID. The very first instruction is to "Click the Histogram Display button". The response to that is that the Histogram Display opens but the first sentence is "The Histogram is not Supported with the current loaded parameters". So, do I have to be hooked up to the car in question?
    Last edited by snaponbob; 03-03-2009 at 09:16 AM.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by snaponbob View Post
    So, do I have to be hooked up to the car in question?
    No

Tuner in Training
    Bill, could you help a bit further? Before the question you answered I had stated "The very first instruction is to "Click the Histogram Display button". The response to that is that the Histogram Display opens but the first sentence is "The Histogram is not Supported with the current loaded parameters". What am I missing here?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Don't worry about the histogram, you aren't making a histogram, all you're trying to do right now is create a custom pid.

The reason the histogram says unsupported is because you probably haven't customized it for your application but thats neither here nor there & ultimately has no reflection on a custom pid.

right click the table display and select insert PID
    then click on User Defined PID's
    and configure user defined
    Name it what you want
    Leave Sensor Blank or select psi
    Leave Units blank
    [sens.30.psi]-14.5038
    Last edited by S2H; 03-03-2009 at 10:37 AM.
    -Scott -

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by soundengineer View Post
    right click the table display and select insert PID
    then click on User Defined PID's
    and configure user defined
    Name it what you want
    Leave Sensor Blank or select psi
    Leave Units blank
    [sens.30.psi]-14.5038
    Hmmm !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Already tried that and it didn't work. Now? POOF -- magic !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A window pops up. WTF. Oh well, I don't care HOW I get there, I just want to get there!

(pause)

After some minor fumbling around, I have the Charts and Gauges set up the way I want it. Thank you very much.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by shabby View Post
    Thats what i did and it works, the help section of vcm scanner comes in handy.

Yeah I now what the help section is and I have tried to get that one to work to I am just PID illiterate lol, is there a way to get it to read both boost and vaccum? or is there another PID that you can make to read vaccum?
    Last edited by jwhitten; 03-03-2009 at 01:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jwhitten View Post
    Yeah I now what the help section is and I have tried to get that one to work to I am just PID illiterate lol, is there a way to get it to read both boost and vaccum? or is there another PID that you can make to read vaccum?
    to read vacuum...do the entire thing *(0-1)
    or tell it -1*(formula)
    vacuum is oposite of boost
    unfortunately I dont think we can do complex if then statements in the scanner yet...LOL
    Last edited by S2H; 03-03-2009 at 01:39 PM.
    -Scott -

Tuner in Training
    So do ([sens.30.psi]-14.5038)*(0-1)?