Thread: ve tuning

ve tuning

Hello everyone, my name is Benji and im looking for some help on tuning my truck. The truck has a 5.3 with a maggie gt2-3 cam,dynatech headers, meth.
    I just installed the headers yesterday so now i want to bring the tune back in line. I have read alot of the tuning forums on ve tuning but havent found alot on tuning forced induction. im still 1 bar map, can i get a good tune like this or do i need 2 bar? Again im not looking for someone to tune for me, i want to learn but dont want to fry engine in doing so. maby someone can show me some helpful threads that i can read up on? any help is appreciated

Senior Tuner
    I recommend going to a 2 bar MAP enhanced OS.

Depends how much power/boost.
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

thanks for replying back, this tuning stuff is nerve racking. im running about 8lbs of boost
    never had it dynoed, im trying to build off a mail order tune, i know i can call and get a retune but wont learn that way. I have a wideband in truck but not connected to the hp tuner,is this a must? If i post some logs and my tune maby can i get some advice?
    Again not expecting anybody to tune me just some good advice on how not to destroy engine.

Can someone tell me why just because i install my dynatech headers "which i thought would be the right move" my power seems to disapear? I understand the tune needs adjustment but is it normal to lose a fair amount of power with this type of mode

Yes, IMO it is a must to connect the WB to HPT for logging.

Tuning is needed after mods like that. What did you have on there for exhaust and what are the details of the new setup (size).
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

The exhaust was stock manifolds & y pipe with gibson cat back, the headers are 1 3/4 primary with high flow cats but still merge into a y like factory. I had headers coated to keep from having any o2 problems, but so far stock setup seems to feel like it beats long tubes on power.

Just tune it. You prob lost a little low end though. That is where a HVMC comes into play.

If you have a wide band, what brand is it? if it is compatible to be connected to your HP dongle then do it, if not- get one, are you running a maf, i only tune forced induction cars mafless/SD.
    I would recommend a 2 bar map sensor, as soon as you start making boost you go past the 110kpa map in your tune and then it's guess work from there, in 2 bar at least you can see what kpa you have and it is easier to log and tune with your AFR error.

By fitting headers it has probably leaned out a little, you should be able to run more timing with headers on

connect your wide band to your dongle and then post up some logs
    Last edited by NOS500; 03-03-2009 at 11:41 PM.
    LS2 Alloy Block 402 - VORTECH V7 Gilmer driven 15 psi 937.3 rwhp street driven.

Thanks for the replys everyone! i will connect my wideband this weekend. it is a AEM.
    Im hopeing that getting these headers was a good move once its tuned, but right now
    i dont see it