Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disabling TPMS and VATS on a 2009 Corvette C6

Potential Tuner

Disabling TPMS and VATS on a 2009 Corvette C6

Hi,

does anyone know how to disable the TPMS and VATS n a C6 2009?
    AS we are building Racecars for GT4 category in Europe, we don´t need these systems. For the Prototype we had a recalibrated ABS System which Delphi made for us. In the 2009 Models there is a Bosch ABS and they are not able to modify it for us.
    Is there any way to disable these Functions with HPtuners?

VATS - Yes
    ABS - No
    Always Support Our Troops!

Potential Tuner
    and any wat to remove the TPMS?
    Can´t find a solution for that

Thanks for your help.

TPMS: Get a small PVC 4" pipe, put 3 sensors in, use the 4th as an access to outside air. Pressurize, put in trunk, and forget.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelp View Post
    TPMS: Get a small PVC 4" pipe, put 3 sensors in, use the 4th as an access to outside air. Pressurize, put in trunk, and forget.
    Now here's a guy that knows how to 'think outside the box'.
    Best regards,
    Bill
    Silver 2003 C5 roadster, M6, Euro red/amber tails, Z06 Ti mufflers, Z06 2 cat H-pipe, Z06 airbox, and HPTuners s/w - available to any Corvette or other GM vehicle in Calgary, and also for Ford and Dodge products, including Cummins

measure resistance....

BFTD does the trunk pipe trick work? How do the TPMS sensors communicate with the PCM? What i mean is do they have to be in close proximity to a pick up sensor or is it merely BT or some similar? Forgive the totally new fish questions I just got an 11 Sierra and want to swap wheels and dont want to bother with these sensors if i can avoid it.

Thanks

Advanced Tuner
    no it will not work,, the sensors need to rotate, this is what activates them to send out their signal every so many seconds
    2010 camaro L99, Magnacharger TVS 2300, 415ci LS3,Kooks long tubes, yank ss3200, 3.73 rear

Quote Originally Posted by camaro1 View Post
    no it will not work,, the sensors need to rotate, this is what activates them to send out their signal every so many seconds
    Thanks for the prompt reply. Looks like Im out a couple hundo for new sensors

Rip off price for the sensors but the wheels and tires are a great deal so its still ok. First I thought maybe I could just tune out the code/idiot light so I searched it and came up with this thread and here we are. Found some cheap sensors for sixty bucks new on fleabay and got a little interested when i saw this pipe trick LOL.

Tuner in Training ledfootC6vette's Avatar

Also installing new wheels on '09 Sierra

I'm also getting the sensors for my summer wheel set... I understand that they have to be activated; what is the process to do this, is it something I can do at home W/HPT,or do I have to take my truck to the dealership?

regards,

Joe

Advanced Tuner
    HPtuners has nothing to do with the TPMS. That is a BCM function, not ECM.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by PitchblackC3 View Post
    HPtuners has nothing to do with the TPMS. That is a BCM function, not ECM.
    actually if you want to get technical the TPMS is controlled with the remote control door lock reciever on most cars or with the driver door module

Tuner in Training ledfootC6vette's Avatar
    From what I've seen on YouTube,the key fob is used to put the system into learn mode, then a tool(TIPS) is required to register the new TPMS sensors in the BCM..the dealership here will do this service for free...

Quote Originally Posted by CCgermany View Post
    Hi,

does anyone know how to disable the TPMS and VATS n a C6 2009?
    AS we are building Racecars for GT4 category in Europe, we don´t need these systems. For the Prototype we had a recalibrated ABS System which Delphi made for us. In the 2009 Models there is a Bosch ABS and they are not able to modify it for us.
    Is there any way to disable these Functions with HPtuners?
    You can deactivate the VATS, if these are race cars just run the PCM only with new harness. The TPMS is in the body control module and not the PCM. There is a way to wire the ABS module to be used without the BCM. I am going to do it on my car but have not done it yet. If you have to retain the BCM then you will need to set the button up on the console so that you can put the car in competitive mode everytime so the lack of TPMS will not limit your speed to 80.

I wish HPT could tap into the BCM! There;s some crap in there which annoys the hell out of me.
    Gray Ghost- The abomination. 2007 Chevrolet Silverado CCSB. 98mm turbo, nitrous, 428LSX, Rossler 80E with a brake. Finally finished. 23 psi, no numbers, Slow as hell.

PBM G8- Aluminum 364, twin Precision 67/66 turbos, 6L90 trans swap, CTS-V/Vaporworx fuel system, slowly making progress.

Dads 2011 CTS-V- Stock bottom end, stock heads, LS9 cam, pullies, ported blower, ported TB, D3 goodies, and lots of nitrous.
    618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Caterpillar 50 Forklift- Duramax swap

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ramairracer View Post
    actually if you want to get technical the TPMS is controlled with the remote control door lock reciever on most cars or with the driver door module
    If you wanna get real technical the modules in the doors ARE BCMs. The RF recevier doesn't control anything. It sends signals to the BCMs which control everything.
    Semantics.

Advanced Tuner
    You are incorrect. It will work just fine.
    I have a Camaro sitting in my shop that has not moved for 8 months and it still reads the tpms sensors perfectly fine mounted in a pcv tube.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam88gta1 View Post
    You are incorrect. It will work just fine.
    I have a Camaro sitting in my shop that has not moved for 8 months and it still reads the tpms sensors perfectly fine mounted in a pcv tube.

go out and drive the car and the light will come on, usually a 30 min drive,, you are ok now because the car is sitting and has not moved,, the Bcm does not look for updated signals from the tpm sensors until it see's wheel speed signal, or a large pressure drop
    Last edited by camaro1; 05-17-2011 at 08:06 AM.
    2010 camaro L99, Magnacharger TVS 2300, 415ci LS3,Kooks long tubes, yank ss3200, 3.73 rear

Advanced Tuner
    go out and drive the car and the light will come on, usually a 30 min drive,, you are ok now because the car is sitting and has not moved,, the Bcm does not look for updated signals from the tpm sensors until it see's wheel speed signal, or a large pressure drop
    I had two cars run the Texas mile this year (one went 200mph) with the tpms sensors in a capsule and neither one of them had a single issue then or now two months later with 500+ miles of street driving. You can't leave them in the trunk. It has to be under the driver or passenger seat.

Advanced Tuner
    When the vehicle is stationary, the sensor's internal accelerometer is inactive, which puts the sensors into a Stationary state. In this state the sensors sample tire pressure once every 30 seconds and do not transmit at all if the tire pressure does not change. As vehicle speed increases, centrifugal force activates the sensors internal accelerometer causing the sensors to go into Wake and then Drive mode. In Drive mode, the sensors sample tire pressure once every 30 seconds and transmit in Drive mode once every 60 seconds. The BCM receives and translates the data contained in each sensors RF transmission into sensor presence, sensor mode, and tire pressure. The BCM sends the tire pressure and tire location data to the driver information center via the serial data circuit where they are displayed.

The sensors continuously compare their last pressure sample to their current pressure sample and will transmit in Learn Mode-Pressure Triggered if a 8.3 kPa (1.2 psi) change in tire pressure has been detected in either a Stationary or Drive state. When the tire pressure monitor system detects a significant loss, or gain of tire pressure, the tire pressure monitor indicator icon is illuminated on the instrument cluster and if equipped, a check tire pressure type message is displayed on the driver information center. Both the indicator icon and driver information center message can be cleared by adjusting the tire pressures to the recommended pressures and driving the vehicle above 40 km/h (25 mph) for at least 2 minutes.

If power is disconnected from the BCM or if the vehicle battery is disconnected, each tire pressure monitor sensor ID is retained but all of the tire pressure information is lost. Under these circumstances the BCM cannot assume that the tire pressures were maintained over an unknown period of time. If equipped, the driver information center will display all dashes and the scan tool will indicate a default tire pressure value of 1020 kPa (148 psi) for each tire. Driving the vehicle above 40 km/h (25 mph) for at least 2 minutes will activate the sensors causing the driver information center to display the current tire pressures. The EL-46079/J-46079 tire pressure monitor special tool, EL-50448 tire pressure monitor sensor activation tool, or equivalent may also be used to activate the sensors as well.

maybe with the right hard driving you could get the sensors internal accelerometer to activate, otherwise it really shouldnt work
    Last edited by camaro1; 05-17-2011 at 01:13 PM.