Thread: Eliminating cold start

Eliminating cold start

I search but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. It doesn't ever really get cold here, and when I first start up my truck, it runs rich while in cold start. That's normal, but it's a PITA with a big cam. Kind of annoying too since its only 50*F out in the mornings right now.

Can someone point me in the right direction as to what tables I need edit to eliminate or at least minimize the affects of cold start mode?

It starts up fine, I got that worked out, but once it's idling it's at like 12:1 AFR. Is this low of an AFR really needed? It stumbles when I go to pull forward or back up if not completely out of cold start. Kind of annoying.
    Last edited by vanillagorilla; 03-12-2009 at 07:23 PM.
    2000 ECSB Sierra, with a lot of tuning to do.

For fueling adjustment before closed loop as the vehicle is warming up, I believe you can make your adjustments in the Fuel Control / OL&CL Open Loop/ Eq Ratio
    Hsquared racing engines RHS 427, Procharger F2, Moran Billet Atomizer injectors, Alky Control,Mast LS7 heads, Nitrous outlet kit,Tilton quad disc clutch, DSS shaft, RKT56 ZR1 trans, RPM Quaife diff. Built and tuned by yours truly.

There is no cold start mode, you need to tune your tables correctly to eliminate that. It is not normal. The OLFA and afterstart enrichment tables will help you here, but primarily the OLFA.
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Cool, thanks. It definitely doing some weird things. 12:1 on startup, and then when I go to pull out of the garage it stumples up to 16:1, and then the same thing when I pull foward.
    2000 ECSB Sierra, with a lot of tuning to do.

Senior Tuner
    Afterstart enrichment can be skinnied down until
    you get crank-and-die or a bad cold stumble.

The EQ (OLFA) table is a source of misbehavior
    with big cams, the idle MAP pushes excess
    enrichment when cold (or cool). You need to
    change that so enrichment rolls on at some
    MAP above where you idle, with a little "bounce
    room" too. That in turn might mean you get to
    play with spark advance temperature adders
    to keep from cold ping at light throttle, now
    not-enriched. But you've got to get the fueling
    settled down to see.