Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why is my TCC locking at WOT?

Tuner in Training
    One thing i learned being a GM Tech is that you will lock your converter if your transmission is overheating, you should check your transmission fluid temp, it will lock the converter because when the converter slips thats when you generate heat, so, if its locked it will help cool it down.

Just something to check. Could be possible a wire is shorting or a bad sensor, or the tranny is overheating.

These are just things ive seen at the dealer.

Jake
    Last edited by grandprixgtp_91; 04-03-2009 at 02:27 PM.
    1991 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 3.4L DOHC V-6, 5 Speed Manual , Turbonetics 62-1 Turbo, FMIC

1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GTX 3.8L S/C V-6 , Automatic W/ Shift Kit , Modular Pulley System, SLP Ram Air, SLP Exhuast

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP , Stock

2001 Pontiac Trans AM WS6 5.7L V-8 , 6 Speed Manual, Cammed, SLP Headers, SLP Full Exhaust, Lowered With Adjustable Air Bag Suspension

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by grandprixgtp_91 View Post
    One thing i learned being a GM Tech is that you will lock your converter if your transmission is overheating, you should check your transmission fluid temp, it will lock the converter because when the converter slips thats when you generate heat, so, if its locked it will help cool it down.

Just something to check. Could be possible a wire is shorting or a bad sensor, or the tranny is overheating.

These are just things ive seen at the dealer.

Jake
    i have logged transmission fluid temp and it is always within 5 degrees of my gauge. The highest it has ever seen is 165 and that was when it wasn't locking up at all (detecting misfires from the stall)

Advanced Tuner
    Is it possible this is caused by not properly failing the MAF (forgot to set 101/102/103 to mil first error) when going SD?

(2) is your tune with only the needed changes made to tables you can't get to. The file you originally posted was setup from a stock truck tune to lock the converter @ 50 in 2nd and 70 in 3rd no matter what the other tables commaned.

(3) is what I think would give you a lot better start on a 4l80 tune in a f-body. It is still set to lock the converter @ WOT, but if you change the values you should now get what you expect. You should basically be able to just change the speedo cal and rpm shift threshholds and have somthing ready to run.
    Last edited by Bluecat; 04-07-2009 at 01:56 PM.

Advanced Tuner

Much thanks Bluecat! I put the official request into HPT in the request forums as well, so maybe you won't have to do it the hard way anymore.
    http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22957

I'll be doing some more testing over the next few days to make sure it is isn't locking up.

I don't want my converter locking at WOT, because it has a crappy clutch in it (4/6 cyl based converter i think, or whatever they use for 9.5" cores).

Now its time to

Advanced Tuner
    Update:

Still no WOT lockup!!! Much thanks Bluecat!!!!

ok i see it now, the earlier LS1 OS's have an additional 2 TCC apply/release modes for WOT and WOT HOT

Will be added soon.

Chris...

PS. Thanks Bluecat!
    I count sheep in hex...

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris@HPTuners View Post
    ok i see it now, the earlier LS1 OS's have an additional 2 TCC apply/release modes for WOT and WOT HOT

Will be added soon.

Chris...

PS. Thanks Bluecat!
    Awesome!! Thanks!!!

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    We added the needed tables for the 9381344 operating system as that seems to be the most common that has this issue, if anyone needs the beta for this os please email support.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"