Thread: locked tune ?

Potential Tuner

locked tune ?

need some help with a question. I use a shop in las vegas to tune my c6 corvette (He uses hp tuners) I was told that the tuner puts in a password so that you can read the tune but it can not be changed except by him. I was also told that if you I go to another tuner that also uses hp tuners he would be able to re flash the ecm and re program. is this correct or do I have to have the password removed before it can be tuned by another shop.

Tuner in Training carseat-qatar's Avatar

Locked tune"

Hi' you cannot able to unlock the tune unless it was done by the person with the HPtune interface being use to lock it.

Im afraid you need to locate your tuner to unlock it for you because having the password and use by the other HP tuner will not help in your case.

Potential Tuner
    Can't he go to the dealer and have his PCM/TCM re-flashed back to the factory settings. He will loose the performance tune already in there but doesn't it unlock the PCM/TCM for the new tune? That is what I just had to do and it worked.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by MgpEagle View Post
    Can't he go to the dealer and have his PCM/TCM re-flashed back to the factory settings. He will loose the performance tune already in there but doesn't it unlock the PCM/TCM for the new tune? That is what I just had to do and it worked.
    No, a tech 2 would not be able to access the pcm/tcm either if the tuner locked the pcm.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Potential Tuner
    Bill, so you are saying that if i have my car tuned with hp tuners and the guy locks it with a password, he is the only one who can get back into the program to make changes.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    correct

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    No, a tech 2 would not be able to access the pcm/tcm either if the tuner locked the pcm.
    bill, are you telling me that if my car is tuned with hp tuners and the shop locks it with a password, no other tuner using hp tuners can make any changes to the program without removing the password.

Potential Tuner
    Oh, that stinks.

My situation was that I purchased a DiabloSport handheld for my car and they sdaid it would work for an 05 Grand Prix GXP. Well it doesn't; it only works on 06 - 08. When I get it I go to plug it in and it didn't recognize my PCM/TCM. After that I sold it. Then I went and used HP Tuners to really tune the car and it would not recognize my PCM/TCM either. Well, what the DiabloSport did was steal my factory copy and installed something HP Tuners couldn't recognize. This is why I had to go back to the dealer and get the factory re-flash done so HP Tuners could recognize the PCM/TCM. It was a pain in the butt but HP Tuners is much better than anything else out there. Just my opinion.

-Mike

Potential Tuner
    He needs to unlock it; then you can have someone else tune it but I think with only HP Tuners software. If you want to use another type software you may have to put the factory bin back in first.

-Mike

Advanced Tuner
    Yes that is what he is telling you.With Hptuners software,when you lock the PCM,you do not enter a password code like that,it is locked by that particular interface that locked PCM.
    So you would need to contact the tuner and have him flash it back to stock unlocked.
    Quote Originally Posted by bronx View Post
    bill, are you telling me that if my car is tuned with hp tuners and the shop locks it with a password, no other tuner using hp tuners can make any changes to the program without removing the password.

Potential Tuner
    So, what if the Hp tuner was stolen from hem or damaged for any reason...??

Quote Originally Posted by loveloai View Post
    New computer time...

Quote Originally Posted by andrewzpsu View Post
    New computer time...
    Sucks, But I agree
    2007 C6 coupe LS3 416 6 speed mn Z51 3LT
    Vararam Snake charmer 160 Stat
    Kooks 1 7/8 headers with jet hot
    Fast 102 ported intake 102 TB RPM Level 5 T56
    MGW short throw ZIP 4.10 Severe Duty rear
    RPS TWIN DISC CARBON CLUTCH CCWs ele wp
    RPM LEVEL 5 TRANS W/HARDENED OUTSHAFT
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtOPy_lp2QY

10.66 1.47 60ft 133+mph

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by loveloai View Post
    Then we replace the interface & when we configure the new interface we configure it so that it uses the same lock & unlock key so they can unlock vehicles they previously tuned.

Quote Originally Posted by bronx View Post
    need some help with a question. I use a shop in las vegas to tune my c6 corvette (He uses hp tuners) I was told that the tuner puts in a password so that you can read the tune but it can not be changed except by him. I was also told that if you I go to another tuner that also uses hp tuners he would be able to re flash the ecm and re program. is this correct or do I have to have the password removed before it can be tuned by another shop.
    One of the forum members, GTPprix sells new C6 ECM's for a very good price (I bought one myself as a spare) which is set up to your VIN. So if you have no luck getting your original ecm unlocked, a new ecm is about your only other choice.
    07 Corvette C6 LS2 A6 - 11.74 @ 120.83
    Xcelerator CAI, Corsa Sports Catback, Kooks Headers/Hi Flo Cats, Ported Intake, The Bone Yard HP Tune, Drag Radials

Potential Tuner
    hello Friends
    Any one around has or have low mileage 2010-2014 stock 6L80 torque converter or converters for Camaro SS or ZL1?
    Regards