Thread: annoying tq converter lockup/unlock...

annoying tq converter lockup/unlock...

so lets say imcruising around at say 55mph and the converter locks while im at about 6% throttle.

as soon as i let off the gas the converter unlocks, then if i give it a little more gas (like 5% again) it locks back up.

This is really annoying because i have a 2500 stall zzp converter and its a very noticeable change in exhaust note, sounds like it bogs way down.

is there any way to make it so its not unlocking at 0% TPS so when i go back to give it just enough gas to keep my speed consistant it doesn't have to re-lock back up?
    2008 G8 GT / TVS1900 /2.9 pulley / LS9 Injectors/ LS9 Cam / Catback / Intake

anyone?
    2008 G8 GT / TVS1900 /2.9 pulley / LS9 Injectors/ LS9 Cam / Catback / Intake

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by starks View Post
    is there any way to make it so its not unlocking at 0% TPS so when i go back to give it just enough gas to keep my speed consistant it doesn't have to re-lock back up?

With currently accessible tables, no.. With other tables added, possibly.. Currently, hitting 0% TPS will result in the TC releasing.
    97 Grand Prix GTP (not going to bother listing mods in detail) 1 messed up 97 PCM with about 30-50% of a 2003 calibration and parts of a few others.

On my LT1 it is a switch setting. Not sure if it is available in the OBD2 tunes....

I messed around with it, generally it will feel like a stick when you leave TCC locked more. Good/bad, good for economy, but will hurt throttle response, as the TCC's can't unlock as fast as you would like... So you will feel that annoyance too.

Advanced Tuner
    Hmm. I think I recognize that program.

On ODBII I have seen in other oses besides ours, there was another TCC apply or release setting (values were TP% vs MPH ranges)..
    97 Grand Prix GTP (not going to bother listing mods in detail) 1 messed up 97 PCM with about 30-50% of a 2003 calibration and parts of a few others.

So the TCC unlocks at ~0% throttle? Just out of curiousity, what gears does the TCC function in?
    Central TEXAS Sleeper
    Experimental Physicist

Current:
    1964 Riviera (4.1L Buick Turbo6, 4L80E, L67 PCM)
    2012 Hyundai Genesis Sedan (3.8 GDI, 8spd Aisin)
    1998 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 (454, 4L80E)
    SOLD:
    1970 Riviera
    1965 Riviera GS (465 Super Wildcat, SP400) #'s Matching
    1967 Skylark Deluxe
    1997.5 Regal GS

Stock:
    Yes, TCC unlocks at 0% throttle, and functions in 3rd and 4th only.

In HD trucks, you will see TCC lock in 2nd and at WOT. I haven't see any cars lock TCC at WOT.

In my LT1 I have left TCC locked on decel, it does allow you to push DFCO much lower in rpm, and gives you a feel of a stick when on rolling hills and where you are on and off the gas a lot. In general I liked it.

I have been messing with TCC locked in 2nd, around 2-4 mph over the 1-2 shift. It will make the car feel heavier as you are locked, but if you wanna squeeze some mpg, it can be done. I would let it shift 1-2, then TCC in 2 then start more of of my acceleration, which has a great feel (mine's a supercharged 3800 Park Ave Ultra right now).

Good/Bad, not for everyone.... My wife didn't notice it at all. But if you are into jack rabbit starts often, it isn't for you.
    Last edited by n0dih; 04-14-2009 at 11:47 AM.

I have a switch pitch transmission and I was considering wiring the TCC output so it would trigger high stall when the TCC would unlock but without orking transmission electronics it might be hard to get it to work properly and I'd run afoul of the nuetral start options if I tried to wire it perminantly in a gear.
    Central TEXAS Sleeper
    Experimental Physicist

Current:
    SOLD:
    1970 Riviera
    1967 Skylark Deluxe
    1997.5 Regal GS

I'll bet it could be done. Sounds easy to me.... So you could setup the table to be more of an "on/off" mode to trigger the stall as desired. Not sure what current the SP needs, but that is easy to setup something external that would manage more current if the PCM can't handle it.... The PCM will just pull to ground, where the SP might need +12v on/off. So some simple external circuitry is probably needed.

Problem is there is no way to lock up TCC in 1st in any cal that I have seen, 2-4 sure, but not 1st. So you might not like the full results, you might end up being always in stall in 1st, or not in stall, but it might be screwy there.

The switch pitch is controlled via an external relay which takes inputs from a TPS based box that give me high stall based on throttle possition. The main problem I'm trying to solve is how to get it to go into high stall at a stoplight so it doesn't try to creep on me. Low stall is like 1200-1400RPM so I guess it'll depend on the torque I make at idle on whether it'll creep or not. With the 425 Nailhead it would, but my 256 Turbo6 might not with only 8.0 compression.
    Central TEXAS Sleeper
    Experimental Physicist

Current:
    SOLD:
    1970 Riviera
    1967 Skylark Deluxe
    1997.5 Regal GS

Tuner
    Play with your current tables, you can also set the 0% throttle in the 3rd and 4th release tables to a high unachievable number. Works on mine and i run a 3k yank stall. I've found the current tables work better than the release tables for keeping it locked
    98 Buick GSX IS3 Heads/GenVblower/cammed/intercooled and stalled
    02 Collector Edition Trans Am WS6
    94 S-10 with Rancho 3" lift on 33's
    93 Typhoon
    07 Tahoe