Thread: Tuning O2's w/o wideband

Tuning O2's w/o wideband

I'm looking to verify if I'm going to be tuning for the right O2 levels. I've got: a 3800 supercharged engine with high ratio rockers, headers, high flow cat and catback, cai, and 3.4" pulley from 3.8".

From what I've read my O2's should be 930-945 stock. I want to verify with my mods if I should be aiming for 920 to 935 with no KR.

If I'm missing some critical info it is because I'm new. Please tell me what would help to answer this question.

Thanks!

Also are there any "Tuning for Dummies" books that anyone could recommend to help get me started so I can help better understand the vocabulary and how things affect each other.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    There really is no way to accurately tune wot fueling with stock o2's.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Advanced Tuner
    start with Greg Banish's book engine management and tuning $20ish depending where you buy it and the help files and stickys at the top of the forums

you can get accurate data to tune with from your stock narrowband 02 sensors as long as you dont ask them to do what they cannot

narrowband is only accurate from approx 14 to 1 afr to 15 to 1 afr so you can tune idle and part throttle with some level of confidence that you are close

the problem is you want to tune WOT thats why you bought hpt and all your bolt ons. 3800 sc needs to be mid to high 11's afr or you will chip pistons on the middle cylinders (3 in particular) so you need a wideband to tune wot since it is accurate over a wideband of 02 readings including that 11-12 to 1 afr area you will want to be working in with a 3800sc

fyi all widebands are not created equal either so do your research before $$ for a wideband only to again find out you dont have everything you need to tune properly. the afx with ntk sensor is the unit most on here feel has the best accuracy for units under $1000 and its about $360
    PB's 1/4 mi 12.21 117.75 trap ,1/8 mi. 7.779 93.99trap , 1.949 short time (FWD W body)

Quote Originally Posted by murphinator View Post
    start with Greg Banish's book engine management and tuning $20ish depending where you buy it and the help files and stickys at the top of the forums

you can get accurate data to tune with from your stock narrowband 02 sensors as long as you dont ask them to do what they cannot

narrowband is only accurate from approx 14 to 1 afr to 15 to 1 afr so you can tune idle and part throttle with some level of confidence that you are close

the problem is you want to tune WOT thats why you bought hpt and all your bolt ons. 3800 sc needs to be mid to high 11's afr or you will chip pistons on the middle cylinders (3 in particular) so you need a wideband to tune wot since it is accurate over a wideband of 02 readings including that 11-12 to 1 afr area you will want to be working in with a 3800sc

fyi all widebands are not created equal either so do your research before $$ for a wideband only to again find out you dont have everything you need to tune properly. the afx with ntk sensor is the unit most on here feel has the best accuracy for units under $1000 and its about $360
    Awesome answer! This guy needs a job here to answer questions!

Thank you very much for the heads up for a newb!

I am here occasionally, I just don't get paid for it.

If you're patient, I have a training DVD available this summer that will walk you through the proper tuning process step by step using HPT. I also teach classes on this stuff on a regular basis.