Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: g8 magnacharger tune

Advanced Tuner

g8 magnacharger tune

anyone have one? even the stock maggie tune just to start with.....

Potential Tuner
    Actually, I will be downloading the Maggie tune as soon as I get the beta version loaded. The Maggie tune is AWFUL. I am really displeased with that (and the LACK of larger injectors, despite a vendor posting that there WERE larger injectors). I'd be glad to post this one once I get it out of the car!

Potential Tuner
    Here is the stock maggie tune for my 05 gto with manual trans
    Hope this helps

Tuner in Training
    injector tables and minimum airflow are going to be the biggest issues. timing table will be more conservative, and PE engagement settings will be earlier. PE will be more rich.

Tuner
    subscribing.
    08' G8 GT
    08' G6 GT
    05' CBR600RR
    02' Z28

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbDoc View Post
    Actually, I will be downloading the Maggie tune as soon as I get the beta version loaded. The Maggie tune is AWFUL. I am really displeased with that (and the LACK of larger injectors, despite a vendor posting that there WERE larger injectors). I'd be glad to post this one once I get it out of the car!
    The Maggie kit I picked up yesterday came with 60's in it, how much bigger were you after?
    Chris White
    www.GTOShiftLight.com
    2006 GTO Spice Red A4
    2012 Jeep SRT8
    2013 SRX Custom IPC/BCM/CUE
    2013 XTS4 Custom IPC/BCM/CUE Auto High Beams
    2013 Volt Custom IPC/BCM/Radio

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by GTPprix View Post
    The Maggie kit I picked up yesterday came with 60's in it, how much bigger were you after?
    This is one of my MAJOR problems. I have been holding off on publishing a fairly negative review of the Maggie kit I bought a few weeks ago. Despite Mike Haddad's CLEAR posts on the G8 board AND the clear implication in the install instructions that "LARGER" injectors came with the kit...they use the STOCK injectors. I have Brian telling me that the kit doesn't include injectors. Then he says he will get me some, which I assume is either 60# injectors or the LS9/ZR1 injectors he is running...but no follow-up.

The stock tune is AWFUL. NO adjustment of most fuel tables (so the part throttle stuff isn't changed...so the mileage is no better than stock at cruise, too rich, etc) and it is simply set up for full throttle under boost for 91 octane fuel. Tranny tune...don't even get me started. Brian punted me to Drew who is their tuner. He uploaded a different tranny tune and has not responded to emails since then.

I do not recommend to ANYONE planning to buy a kit to get their "base" kit. Haddad tells me that the kit was originally to have a smaller pulley and larger injectors, but Magna decided they could save money by NOT doing that. For $6500 let Livernois install the kit. Or buy the kit from Lingenfelter for $6195 w/ injectors & Rotofab intake.

I will post my full review on both of the G8 boards soon. I have given EVERYONE a chance to try to resolve these issues...but they seem to want to pretend that this isn't the case. A cam change + headers is MUCH better investment on the L76 engine. Your GXP ought to be great with a bit more boost and a PROPER tune. I simply expected more, although watching the GTO community struggle with sub-par performance from the maggie should have taught me something.

Tuner
    Yikes! Man I hope I didnt start WWIII LOL I'm going to go out on a limb here and say Livernois orders thiers with 60's specifically BUT I did see in the instructions where it talks about injector adapters I believe and shows pictures of these as well.

If you remember my previous GTO Maggie saga it wasnt pretty. I felt that these kits were advanced enough now to warrant another shot and I'm always impressed with the OE quality engineering that goes into all of thier kits. I believe they finally have the supercharger they need to work with and I suspect others would agree as well. (This from a die hard Procharger guy)

I obviously have no tune to look at as there isnt a GXP kit (I'm making my own I guess) but given the fact that John Germanson (thier tuner) passed away awhile back () I'm not terribly suprised given what I've heard others say about the calibration for the G8 GT kit.

I have no doubts that you'll get your tuning squared away but I DEFINITELY can appreciate your frustration
    Chris White
    www.GTOShiftLight.com
    2006 GTO Spice Red A4
    2012 Jeep SRT8
    2013 SRX Custom IPC/BCM/CUE
    2013 XTS4 Custom IPC/BCM/CUE Auto High Beams
    2013 Volt Custom IPC/BCM/Radio

Potential Tuner
    The install manual mentions injector wiring adapters (which aren't in the kits) and makes no mention of moving the stock injectors over to the blower. Put those two together and it is fairly obvious...

As far as the TVS1900, it really is a very nice blower. The compressor maps look great. The install (other than an install manual that needed some work) is not bad, and the finished kit integrates very nicely, much better than the Procharger, for example. And that is my frustration. Basically they need the larger injectors, better tune, and for many/most of us, a smaller pulley. I'm okay with buying the pulley...but to be told that perhaps I just need to find a local tuner, that is UNACCEPTABLE. Just remove the "tuner" cost from the kit for the Superchips flasher and "developmental work", include the injectors, and move forward.

As one of the first 5 GenTT kits on the GTO (after adapting the first STS LS1 kit to an LS2 goat), I KNEW there would be issues. Martin stayed on top of it, air freight shipping new pipes from Australia and being quite responsive via email/phone. I am sorry to say that has not been my experience on this purchase. I would love to be shown that my perception is wrong, that somehow these issues have simply slipped through the cracks. I have TRIED to get it addressed...these 2 posts are by far the most I have publicly written. But I really want folks to understand what they are buying vs. what has been said.

Tuner
    I have not been able to get my magnacharger tune loaded into my car yet because it doesn't see my current "stock" tune as a stock tune.

I'm thinking about just tuning it myself but I have never tuned a boosted car before so I'm not really sure where to start.
    08' G8 GT
    08' G6 GT
    05' CBR600RR
    02' Z28

Advanced Tuner
    We haven't installed or tuned one of these kits on a G8 yet, but we have done quite a few of the APS twin turbo kits. We strongly recommend 60 pound shorty fuel injectors, the required injector adaptors, colder spark plugs and colder thermostat with any power adder on these cars. We keep all these items in stock for immediate shipment, and we could also get you an HPT starting point file for a 6 to 7 psi turbo setup that will get your tune very close.
    2022 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing (733 whp)
    2022 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing (716 whp), 10.750 @ 134.77 mph
    2016 Cadillac ATS-Vs (eleven ATS-Vs in the 9s)
    2008 Pontiac G8 (first G8 in the 10s), 10.727 @ 129.87 mph
    2000 Bonneville SSEi (first 3800 Bonneville in the 10s), 10.711 @ 125.71 mph
    1999 Grand Prix GT (first 3800 FWD in the 8s), 8.902 @ 154.90 mph
    1998 Firebird (first 3800 RWD in the 8s), 843 whp, 8.991 @ 152.12 mph
    1998 Grand Prix GTP (first 3800 FWD in the 10s), 9.499 @ 145.13 mph

Tuner
    PM sent
    08' G8 GT
    08' G6 GT
    05' CBR600RR
    02' Z28

Potential Tuner
    I will be downloading the stock maggie tune on HPT within a few days, and will be glad to post it. They are reportedly still working on the transmission, as it has some bad behavior.

Anyway, I'm going forward w/ headers & pulley, so more data will be collected along the way (hopefully by people that know a LOT more than I do!).

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbDoc View Post

I actually ordered mine directly from Terry at MagnaCharger. In the process of placing the order I was told a couple of things that turned out to be WRONG.

The bigger injectors were one. I was told that it shipped with upgraded injectors, but after I got it, I realized that the installation manual stated that the STOCK injectors were to be used.

I ended up installing the FAST 65lbers. I currently have the 3.0 pulley on it, but I will be installing the 2.8 tomorrow morning.

I had more issues, but I only wanted to respond to the injector part. You weren't the only one misled.

I'm looking for a "Starting Point" file for my G8.

I currently have the following engine mods:

TEA CNC LS3 Heads (ARP Studs)
    Full DoD Delete (Lifters, pushrods, rockers)
    Blower Cam (228/237 - 0.620/0.620 @ 114)
    Kooks Complete Exhaust
    160 T-Stat
    TR-6 Plugs
    PI Vig 2800 Stall (with cooler)

I will be adding:

Racetronix Flow Matched Injectors ([email protected])
    Maggie 1900 Kit
    3.0 Pulley Swap (Target 9psi)
    Custom Dual Pump Fuel System

Any help, tips, advice would be appreciated.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by TYRFRYR View Post

Kooks Complete Exhaust
    160 T-Stat
    TR-6 Plugs

I will be adding:

Maggie 1900 Kit

Very cool setup!

PM sent...
    2022 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing (733 whp)
    2022 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing (716 whp), 10.750 @ 134.77 mph
    2016 Cadillac ATS-Vs (eleven ATS-Vs in the 9s)
    2008 Pontiac G8 (first G8 in the 10s), 10.727 @ 129.87 mph
    2000 Bonneville SSEi (first 3800 Bonneville in the 10s), 10.711 @ 125.71 mph
    1999 Grand Prix GT (first 3800 FWD in the 8s), 8.902 @ 154.90 mph
    1998 Firebird (first 3800 RWD in the 8s), 843 whp, 8.991 @ 152.12 mph
    1998 Grand Prix GTP (first 3800 FWD in the 10s), 9.499 @ 145.13 mph

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by done12many2 View Post

I ended up installing the FAST 65lbers. I currently have the 3.0 pulley on it, but I will be installing the 2.8 tomorrow morning.
    Why are you going smaller on the pulley? I picked up a 3.1...might take the 3.0 off your hands. Need >500, eh???

Potential Tuner

Stock Magnuson G8 tune

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by done12many2 View Post
    You might reach the limit of the fuel system with that even with a boost-a-pump. The stock fuel pump is pretty weak.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by TYRFRYR View Post

Kooks Complete Exhaust
    160 T-Stat
    TR-6 Plugs

I will be adding:

Maggie 1900 Kit

You are adding a 1900 with a cam?! Nice!