Thread: Timing problem, weird...

Tuner in Training

Timing problem, weird...

For some reason, my car keeps wanting to pull a flat 18 degrees of timing at WOT through the entire RPM range... This is a problem for me at 13-14lbs of boost w/ no intercooler. Nowhere in my bin file do I have it set for even CLOSE to that amount of timing at those RPMs/Cylinder Airs... It should be like 9-10degrees ala high octane table. Car is a 99 GTP w/ lots of goodies that are besides the point. Any ideas or pointers? I looked back at some older logs I had and noticed that they were running 18 degrees of advance from 70-130 MPH at WOT. Wasnt a problem then because it was 18 degrees outside and I was only running ~12psi, not 40 degrees and ~14psi

HELP ME!!!

Tim

PS, me just started to remember.. Doesnt the ESC modules have some kind of limp mode or fallback timing. Does HPT read a commanded timing, or timing being issued by the ESC module. Keith? Chris?

Tuner in Training

Re: Timing problem, weird...

OK.. weirder.. if im not WOT, it is fine.. ie, if im cruising, cross referencing the cyl/air and rpm shows me the exact spark timing specified in the high octane map. If im accelerating at say 50% throttle, it shows the exact timing that is shown in the map, but if I go WOT, it goes 18.5 degrees, every rpm....

Tim

Tuner in Training

Under Engine > Spark Advance >

Check all of your IAT / ECT corrections.

Also take a look at your max timing vs rpm vs cyl air.

Tuner in Training

I think I might have figured it out... I disabled logging of everything except RPM, spark, and IPW so it would log REALLY fast and detailed. When the cutout happens, RPM drops to like 1/2 what it was (ie: 3200 to ~ 1600). Im leaning towards Crank Position Sensor. But why it would cut out only when im heavy on the throttle is beyond me. I drove ~200 miles today and logged it all. The only time RPM skipped a beat was when I was heavy on the throttle, every other time, it was a perfectly smooth reading. Unless it has something to do with flex in the rotating assy when its loaded and the CKP sensor is on its way out. Any input?

Tim

Tuner in Training

???

Try a CASE learn?

Do you have an ICCU tapped into your RPM wire?

Tuner in Training

Did case learn.. Several times to be sure
    I dont have an ICCU. Nothing is tapped into the stock wiring at all. Im going to test all the wires coming from the CKP to the PCM and see if any of them have any resistance or shorts.

Tim

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)

fwiw i have this problem as well...there are probably some timing tables that we cant see yet i command like 5-7 degrees but see 10-13
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"